The Last of the O-Forms and Other Sto... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Van Pelt, James » The Last of the O-Forms and Other Stories « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 06:09 am:   

My new collection, THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS AND OTHER STORIES, is now available for preorder through through Fairwood Press at http://www.fairwoodpress.com/. Hit the CATALOG at the top of the page and then the FICTION COLLECTIONS choice.

The collection includes the Nebula finalist story, "The Last of the O-Forms," and fourteen other stories that originally appeared in ASIMOV'S, ANALOG, TALEBONES, REALMS OF FANTASY, ALFRED HITCHCOCK'S, and others.

The cover was commissioned from World Fantasy Award winning best artist, Alan Clark. You can see the cover at the Fairwood Press web site.

Nebula Award winner, Jerry Oltion, said of the stories in the collection, "I always expect something special from a James Van Pelt story, and yet I'm surprised each time by the depth and beauty of that special something he instills in every one."

Hugo and Nebula winning author, Robert Sawyer, said, "James Van Pelt is one of the freshest thinkers and most original voices in modern science fiction."

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   

This should be out in time for Westercon in Calgary, and definitely for Worldcon and NASFIC.

Dalani
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 04:37 am:   

I read Ice-Cream Man in Asimov's
recently..Amazing..takes a lot to impress a fellow who in his forties read them all since high school..Ice Cream Man stands out from the bunch by far.

Plot line is so well worked out and just flows without contriving or artifice.

I'll be sure to check your other stories...

Just one thing though: why the panther? is the subtext really there or intended?

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 11:08 am:   

Hi, Dalini. Thanks for the comments on "The Ice-Cream Man." I'm not sure what you mean though about the subtext of the panther, though, which I guess would mean that any subtext that you saw was unintended *g*. The panther's coat is purple, though. That's intentional to suggest royalty or nobility. The implication is that the creature intentionally sacrificed itself to save others. At least that is the way the ice-cream man took it.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 04:54 pm:   

I have put up a page with info about THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS AND OTHER STORIES at http://www.sff.net/people/james.van.pelt/O-Forms.htm

It includes blurbs and reviews from THE DENVER POST, Gardner Dozois, BOOKLIST, James Patrick Kelly, and others.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 05:52 am:   

The ED SF Project is an effort to gather appreciations for all the stories that appeared on SCIFI.COM. It's a cool idea that you can find more about at The ED SF Project

Alex Wilson wrote a nice set of comments about my piece, "A Flock of Birds," although he really said more about me than the story. I'm very flattered.

"A Flock of Birds" was reprinted in Gardner's YEARS BEST SCIENCE FICTION. It's also included in my new collection, THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS AND OTHER STORIES through Fairwood Press.

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 02:04 pm:   

Jay Lake sent me a link to this review of THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS AND OTHER STORIES. It's the nicest comments about the book I've seen yet, starting with its title, "The Best Sci-Fi Writer You've Never Heard Of."

The review is at http://chasingray.blogspot.com/2006/03/best-sci-fi-writer-youve-never-heard.html

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 07:56 pm:   

Shocklines, an online bookstore, is offering my latest collection, THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS AND OTHER STORIES, with a moneyback guarantee. If you order the book from them and don't like it, you can return it within 30 days for store credit. No questions asked. It's their "new voices guarantee."

I don't feel particularly like a "new voice" as much anymore, but it's a great deal!

This is the same book that one of the Bookslut (great name, huh!) reviewers said, "The Last of the O-Forms and other stories is a great collection of sci fi - a really really great collection . . . James Van Pelt is an incredibly brave writer and I really do believe that. He does all kinds of great things with this book (a Vice Principal haunted by doubts and the children he knew before - plus his younger self is a real treat in "Do Good"), and his choices of setting and characters are a constant surprise . . . He's a really good writer and I thoroughly enjoyed this collection. You should read it -everybody should read it."

Here is the link for the Shocklines offer

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:19 pm:   

I received Progress Report #4 from the World Fantasy Convention today. Ballots are due by June 30 for the World Fantasy Awards. Unlike most of the other awards, World Fantasy recognizes single author collections with its own award. For those of you who read here who are also members of the convention, I'd like to point out that THE LAST OF THE O-FORMS AND OTHER STORIES is eligible for nomination.

Also, every story in TALEBONES last year is eligible for the "short fiction" award, and I think Patrick and Honna are eligible for the "special award - professional"

The ballot is available in Progress Report #3, posted on line as a PDF at http://www.fact.org/wfc2006/book/pr/wfcpr03.pdf

Also, the ballot can be e-mailed to Roger Turner at rturner@cyberus.ca

I am always shocked by how FEW nominations are often necessary to get works onto finalist ballots. If you are attending the convention, your nomination will count!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration