Cons Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Moore, Nancy Jane » Cons « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nancy Jane
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 05:42 am:   

When I moved to Washington, D.C., from Texas many years ago, I made one resolution: I would never again spend any of August in Texas. Not that summer in Washington is wonderful (we're having a heat advisory day -- temp in the 90s coupled with lousy air quality). But Texas summer is unrelenting. I became a serious reader (the first step to writing) because as a kid I spent the entire month of August every year sitting directly in front of fan, reading a book. It was just too damn hot to move.

All that said, I'm breaking my resolution and going to ArmadilloCon Aug. 19-21. I'll be doing a reading on Saturday and also running a Broad Universe group reading the same day. I'm also on a couple of panels, including one at 11 PM on Friday on Joss Whedon's work, a subject I can fortunately discuss even after hitting a party or two.

I gotta say, an Austin con ought to be held in March. It's not hot in March. And -- more to the point -- it's not cold, either. While March is still winter in a lot of the country (it often snows here in D.C. in March), it's spring in Austin. Of course, lots of things happen in Austin in March, which probably makes the cost of the hotel spike quite a bit. I guess it's not practical. August is practical. Ah, well, thank the gods for air conditioning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nancy Jane
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 06:47 am:   

I just spent the weekend at Capclave, our local con here in Washington, D.C. (or, actually, in Silver Spring, Maryland, which is just across the line). It was an excellent convention -- lots of smart people having interesting conversations, both on panels and off. Howard Waldrop was the guest of honor and that attracted a lot of writers and editors and book reviewers -- Michael Dirda, reviewer extraordinaire of the Washington Post, was on panels. I mention it here to encourage people to consider it for next year. The local fan community is full of serious readers.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register