NYC Reading Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Moore, Nancy Jane » NYC Reading « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nancy Jane
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 06:32 pm:   

Here's the flyer for a science fiction reading at the Bluestockings feminist bookstore in NYC on October 14. Y'all come.
NYC Reading

Nancy Jane
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 06:39 pm:   

The previous flyer emphasized the science fiction aspect of the reading. This one emphasizes the feminst side of things:

Escape

mike bishop
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 06:00 am:   

Nancy,

Hope the reading goes well. And certainly wish I could be there, if my showing up didn't appear to drag the patriarchy in along with me . . . not that you or Ellen or Carol Emshwiller have ever seemed in the least exclusionary in your approach to literature or anything else. (So far as I know, I've never met Marleen Barr or Sue Lange, but would happily hear them read.) In any case, glad to see these flyers.

Mike

Nancy Jane
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 09:34 am:   

Mike, I wish you could come, too. We'd be glad to have you. Nothing exclusionary about us -- we're glad to have men involved in escaping the outdated patriarchal values!

I only know Marleen through her academic work so far -- she was one of the editors of the recent Modern Language Association publication on science fiction -- but I've heard a lot of good things about her novel. And Sue is the dynamo putting this reading together.

Nancy

Bob K.
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:02 am:   

Cool to see IFD listed as your signature credit!

Take care,
Bob

Nancy Jane
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:13 am:   

Absolutely! I'm going to make sure there are copies for sale, too.

mike b.
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 04:36 am:   

Well, if I don't make it, and it's highly unlikely that I will, I hope you'll follow up with a report on the messageboard. Again, my best wishes for a wonderful evening.

ellen
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 11:40 am:   

Mike, I'll probably have photos of the event on my website.

Nancy Jane
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 02:17 pm:   

We don't really expect people to fly in from Georgia or other far distant lands (though you're very welcome to do so), but it would be nice if people in NYC and its environs came by and helped us spread the Science Fiction Gospel to the feminist reading public.

mike
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:47 am:   

Ellen, I'll look for the photos. Thanks.

And, Nancy Jane, I'd love to fly from Georgia to NYC, it's been forever since we've visited . . . And I doubt seriously that a major convention will meet again in Pine Mountain. (The last time folks came, for a World Fantasy Con, the guests all wore out the menu at Cricket's, just about the only restaurant in the immediate vicinity worthy of a try.)

Nancy Jane
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:38 pm:   

Mike, if you don't come up with a good reason to come to New York, I may see you at Norwescon in Seattle next year. I'm contemplating using that as an excuse to get out west, visit some friends, see some sights.

Though maybe you can find some professional reason to get to NYC. I'm actually lucking out -- my day job is going to pay my fare up there, because I have to cover a legal conference on Friday. I could even get a free hotel room out of it, though I'm going to stay with my sister instead -- more fun.

mike
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 06:01 am:   

We'll look forward to seeing you in Seattle, should you in fact make that convention.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 06:03 pm:   

Nancy,
Do you have Sue Lange's email address? It's on my old laptop, which is in Brooklyn, unfortunately.
Thanks

NJM
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 08:27 pm:   

Hi Ellen. As it happens, I just got an email from her, so it's right here: s.lange@comsoc.org.
See you tomorrow.
Nancy

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 10:44 pm:   

Thanks, Nancy.
Yup. See you there.

Nancy Jane
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 09:36 am:   

Our reading was a great success. The store was packed. People said complimentary things about our work and asked intelligent questions. They bought books.
Carol read a great story that is forthcoming on Scifiction in November. I recommend that folks check it out.
Copies of my new book Changeling made it just in time for the reading, which made the whole thing very exciting for me personally.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 01:20 pm:   

The only unfortunate thing is that none of my books were ordered, making me very unhappy. But yes, it was a very successful event.

Nancy Jane
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 05:22 am:   

Well, Changeling only made it because Aqueduct Fed-exed books to me in care of the store. I brought some copies of the anthologies I've been in -- apparently the store couldn't get those in either, even the one from a major publisher. I gather the ordering wasn't very efficient. Sigh.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 09:38 am:   

The store could easily have checked to see what books of ours were in print. Most of my anthologies are available and a quick check on amazon.com or bn.com would have established that. As good a time as I had I feel that with regard to publicity for my books it was a waste of time.:-(

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register