Nemo~4 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Nemo~4 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Des
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   

I've just issued advance submission guidelines and author payment details for Nemo~4 on Veils&Piques.
Des

Des
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 03:53 am:   

Possibly the best general remuneration rate in the world for short short fiction (i.e. 100 to 1000 words):
http://www.nemonymous.com

Des
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 02:16 am:   

Submission Guidelines for Nemo~4. I have continued to hone them (in the light of discussion and developments) here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nemonymous/

Nothing has fundamentally changed but there is increased precision. ('Shared Universes' were abandoned a week or so ago.) And these Guidelines, I hope, are now set in stone for the duration of the Nemo~4 reading period (which has already started).
Des

Des
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:59 pm:   

Good news! I have been spurred finally to set my conscious mind after the Nemo~4 hare! The physical concept of Nemo~4 has now fully crystallised -- and it genuinely promises to be just as startling and radical as Nemo~1 was in 2001, including a cleanly conceptual/rational capacity to publish both bylined and non-bylined stories.
Now get writing. I won't let you down.
See:
Des

des
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 09:35 am:   

Since the current Nemo~4 guidelines started, I've received a huge number of emails from anonymous addresses. These addresses are often quite imaginative. I can't resist reporting that, today, I received a story from my favourite address so far:
'Anne Onymous' with an email address that starts: 'men_ominous@'
des

des
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 11:21 am:   

Amazing submission guidelines - last two weeks of availability - shown on this page:

Amazing prize competition - last two weeks of availability - shown on this page:
http://tinyurl.com/2yz2p

des
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 12:43 am:   

Yesterday, I wrote to those who have managed to pass the first filter of Nemonymal suitability vis a vis their submissions to Nemo~4. If you sent it to me from a rarely used anonymous email address, please check it now.
One person wrote back delighted to get this far, saying he felt like he was part of 'American Idol'. I presume that's equivalent to UK's 'Pop Idol' - but I don't really see myself in the role of Simon Cowell!!
des

des
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:15 am:   

Amazing Guidelines for the paying market of Nemonymous~4 expire in the next few days. Please see this page for details:

I am delighted to have received literally hundreds of submissions already and they have been generally of a very high quality and potentially suitable for Nemonymous. If you want to get under the wire for consideration, please submit now.

Nemonymous has so far published and paid for a total of 54 original stories in the previous 3 issues.

des
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 12:06 am:   

SEVENTEEN ACCEPTANCES were sent out yesterday for Nemonymous~4 - seventeen stories by anonymous (i.e. as yet unknown to me) writers. These will be paid at 45 per story when published (hopefully no later than May 04) -- and their identities are due to be revealed in Nemonymous~5 which will come out as soon as possible after Nemonymous~4 dependent on sales.

This now makes 71 stories in total (a prime number) published and remunerated in the first 4 issues of Nemonymous.

To ensure there will be future Nemonymi, please investigate purchase info regarding all the first three greatly acclaimed anthologies by writing to bfitzworth@yahoo.co.uk

To recapitulate, Anonymity in fiction or poetry, for me, is

(i) the author wanting some objective view of his work to be made without his name getting in the way -- and an editor equally not wanting it to get in the way when he considers the submission for publication

(ii) an experiment in story or poem anthology presentation as a new reading gestalt experience which helps to create an 'Interstitiality'

(iii) the leading to a brainstorming approach to reviews and critical appreciation

(iv) the acknowledging that anything outside the work is irrelevant to the work or, if relevant in some way, unknowable for certain how and why it is relevant and thus spurious and misleading to an appreciation of the work

(v) the bringing of fiction *nearer* to the artist-naming approach of other arts such as fine arts, architecture, music etc.

(vi) the enabling of artists-(now truly, with anonymity)-without-borders (or without the jagged edges of a name) to ease into intra-genres and new markets -- and be synergistic with Interstitiality, I suggest.

Re (v), has it ever dawned on folk that the author's name is not only on the spine, the title page etc, but also, quite often, at the top of every alternate page of the whole book!

Anonymity with late-labelling is another consideration. And I'm currently experimenting with this concept in 'Nemonymous'...which brings us back to the beginning of this post...!
des

des
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 08:10 am:   

Of the 17 acceptance contracts for stories to be in Nemo~4, I now know who wrote 16 of them!

I'm the only editor who can use this wording about acceptances:
I was delighted to discover that I had accepted these particular writers.

I was mostly surprised, too, only correctly guessing two of the authorships.

des

des
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:53 pm:   

I now know the identity of the authorships of all 17 stories and all contracts have been agreed.
A really interesting eclectic crew for the 4th voyage of Nemonymous.

It would be interesting if some of the other submitting writers (literally in their hundreds) would come to this Board and let me know who wrote what amongst those stories I rejected.
I don't suppose they will. Who can blame them! Although, most of them could easily have been in Nemo, given the space and the money to run more regular editions.

Stephen King? Paul Auster? Thomas Pynchon?
des

des
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 02:01 pm:   

Of course, many of the other stories submitted may have been by one person with multi-email addresses, for all I know! ;-)

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 02:50 pm:   

I had one story rejected by you. I wrote it a long time ago, and you rejected it quite quickly, so I suppose it wasn't one of those that could easily have been in Nemo.

"Glass Deserts" (the one with the protagonist called Theman, if that jogs your memory; a Nemonian nomenclature, I thought.)

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 09:21 am:   

Oh well. At least I made it through the first cut.

JaNell Golden
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:16 pm:   

I sent you "Rebootin' Oz" just because I loved the story.
You didn't. ;)

des
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 08:55 am:   

Thanks for those who have come forward to advertise their rejections!
I wonder if I'm breaking some sort of publishing protocol by encouraging people to advertise their story rejections.
It just seems right with Nemonymous - where even the editor doesn't know who wrote certain rejected stries (stories, in the main, that were wonderful). Protocols need to start somewhere. Traditions were once untraditional.

When you start something completely new, you don't know what treads on toes or what is genuinely justifiable in any ground-breaking scenario. Sorry.

des
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:12 am:   

Nemo~4 stories. Having divulged a list of the story titles elsewhere, I've decided to make the list more public because it's almost lke a poem, I've discovered. And having seen the list in alphabetical order (as below) - which was just a way of saying this is not the order they will appear in - I've now decided, this is indeed the optimum order, and they *will* appear in this order:

Apologising To The Concrete
Creek Man
The Death Knell
Determining The Extent
Embrace
The Frog's Pool
Generous Furniture
Leaves Like Hearts
Like A Slow Motion War
Maledict Michela
My Burglar
Nocturne For Doghands
The Painter
Rorschach-interpreter
Sexy Beast
Vole Mountain
The Withering

Russell Flinn
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:27 pm:   

Being the schizoid persona that I am, and that the items I submitted were - I hoped - sufficiently different to each other in subject, style and content, I will put my hand up to the fact that I submitted the following...

SCENE:INT.VAGINA, Whatever Happened To Gig Render?, Doesn't Matter, Making The Connection and Crime Of The Scene...

Just goes to prove that crime doesn't pay!

Ho hum...

*harks back to the heady days of publication*

:o)

des
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   

Thanks, Russell, for being brave in quoting the rejected titles. From what I recall, I'd never have related these stories together under one umbrella.

Someone has said in another place, that people will not come forward to identify themselves and their story titles ... in case future editors know that these stories have been submitted before.

I don't think any editor would care one way or another, if he or she subsequently likes the story.
There is no such thing as a story failure, surely, but only a particular submission failure (for any number of reasons).
des

Russell Flinn
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:29 pm:   

"There is no such thing as a story failure..."

That's news to me!

LMAO

Russ ;o)

PS - Does that mean you're going to go on record as saying all those stories were amazing, just in case there are any editors looking in?

I'm not surprised a couple got kicked out, actually - the tone and subject matter of them went far beyond anything I'm used to writing...

des
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 01:51 pm:   

Russell says: "the tone and subject matter of them went far beyond anything I'm used to writing..."

Is that because you knew you were submitting anonymously to nemonymous?
des

Russell Flinn
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:59 pm:   

To be frank, only one of those pieces was written after I had heard of Nemonymous, and that was actually the least controversial or off-the-wall of the lot - indeed, I have happily resubmitted them in the traditional manner since they were rejected...

However, I think that in the case of writers who have expectations appended to them by their publication history then Nemonymous' withheld status might be more liberating than trying to convince other editors that they should take a chance with a break from the norm...

Not having a 'previous', it wasn't really a concern in my case...

Russ

des
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:45 pm:   

Thanks, Russell. I wonder, in general, what different stories people may produce if they knew the story would be permanently anonymous (ie never to be late-labelled as usually it is in Nemo).
So far, there has only been one story that retains its anonymity (at the request of its author), ie the greatly acclaimed 'Vanishing Life and Films of Emmanuel Escobada' in Nemo~2.
des

Dominy
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 05:49 am:   

I see anonymous publication as an extension of the usual anonymity demanded of entrants to the kinds of composition competitions I used to enter before I ceased to be a 'young composer' - i.e., that which supposedly protects the jury from accusations of favouritism or the nepotist tendency. Anonynous publication wouldn't make me write different music, and so it goes for prose. The rampant egoist/narcissist in me insists on recognition, so if it were to be a permanently anonymous publication I think I'd think twice about submitting - unless the price was right!

Russell Flinn
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 06:16 am:   

*rips off fairground ghoul mask*

"So, it was the Police Chief after all...!"

Russell Flinn
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:17 am:   

Of course, I have had a far more bizarre experience which borders on the Dickian, less to do with anonymity and more to do with questioning your own identity as an author, so all bets are off in the world of fiction...

So bad was it, that I gave up writing for a decade - and just as I took it up again, I get another reminder of the phenomenon yesterday!

No wonder I felt I had to submit things anonymously and under different shades of grey...

des
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 10:40 pm:   

What's that about, Russell?
des

Russell Flinn
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 05:37 am:   

My piece Subway Story, which was selected from a booklet of three of my tales from the BFS, was selected by Ramsey Campbell and Steve Jones for Best New Horror 3, and I subsequently received questions from people regarding my identity. Seems a lot of people thought it was Ramsey himself, using a pseudonym...

This put me off considerably, almost feeling that I could not even lay claim to my own work, and was instrumental in my abstention from writing for nigh on a decade.

Of course, now I have started again, the same story comes back to haunt me - Joel Lane tells me that in a recent interview for Cemetery Dance magazine, Ramsey himself cites me by name, stating that the piece felt like something he had written and forgotten about, describing the feeling he experienced as 'uncanny'...

A bizarre experience, when the author himself feels that I had tapped into his psyche and style so fully, and not one I feel entirely comfortable with...

des
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 07:57 am:   

Amazing, Russell! And I can understand you not being comfortable with it. But I find it fascinating and puts another slant on some of the philosophy underlying the original conception of Nemonymous.

Sorry to hear you were put off writing for ten years!

I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.
des

des
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:02 am:   

Nemonymous~4 will be arriving shortly. Some great great stories, please believe me, and an unbelievable cover!

For special offer on the previous three acclaimed Nemonymous anthologies please write to nemonymous@hotmail.com where you'll find my friendly face waiting for you. :-)
des

des
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:21 am:   

I am pleased to report that Nemo~4 is now going to the printers with the following stories (plus late-labelling bios for Nemo~3):

Apologising To The Concrete
Creek Man
The Death Knell
Determining The Extent
Embrace
The Frog's Pool
Generous Furniture
Leaves Like Hearts
Like A Slow Motion War
My Burglar
Maledict Michela
Nocturne For Doghands
The Painter
Rorschach-interpreter
Sexy Beast
Vole Mountain
The Withering

...in that order.
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register