NEMO TWO - Free! (Which genre you pre... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » NEMO TWO - Free! (Which genre you prefer?) « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des lewis
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 03:34 am:   

Which do you prefer: SF, Horror or Fantasy? Or variations on that theme. Just one sentence or several sentences.

Just that.

But if you also want a free copy of the acclaimed NEMONYMOUS TWO (uniquely featuring the now legendary 'The Vanishing Life & Films of Emmanuel Escobada') delivered completely free by surface mail, it will be my pleasure to grant your wish as long as:

(a) you have posted an answer on this thread to the above question.
and
(b) you have also separately entered the simple free competition here:
http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2007/07/zencore-competition.html
This is to guess who wrote what story in ZENCORE, something you can do either as a lottery (if you don't have the book) or as serious guesses based on having read it.

Details of authors & stories in Nemo 2:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemonymous

Please claim your free Nemo 2 here:
bfitzworth@yahoo.co.uk (my email address).

Byron Bailey
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 08:14 am:   

I have a high regard for science fiction, fantasy, and horror and read freely between them. There are two kinds of stories that I like best: those with a strong sense of mood/atmosphere and those with a wicked sense of humor irrespective of genre. I'm somewhat torn between those two poles and I think my favorite kind of fiction are those that bridge these two poles. Often time, these stories have kind of a horror feel to them, may in fact be a kind of horror, but they tend to be not classified as horror. Some examples from stories that come close to fitting this category: "Evening Primrose" by John Collier, "Or all the Seas with Oysters" by Avram Davidson, "Continued on Next Rock" by R.A. Lafferty.

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:44 am:   

des, my fingers are crossed. I've submitted guesses to your email address. Not bounced back yet. Maybe this time...

I grew up, fortunately, with parents who always had books in the house. Other than the primers of early childhood, I first read comic books, science fiction (Ray Bradbury!), and some horror in school book club anthologies. I can't dismiss science fiction as my favorite "genre." Philip K. Dick, Jack Vance, Robert Silverberg, etc. Horror comes in second. Ligotti, Lovecraft, and Leiber steal the show. Fantasy, however, just isn't my thing, although works by Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, and Avram Davidson have pleased me greatly.

des lewis
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:55 am:   

Yes, I got them, Phillip. Already had Byron's some time ago. You can now both claim Nemo 2 from my email address wih your own address.

For you and others, you can enter the competition linked above up to three times, as you may later need to revise your guesses with inspired identifications. Each complete entry will be treated separately, however.
des

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   

Blump.

Alan frackelton
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 03:22 pm:   

Like Byron Bailey, I read all three genres (and others besides), although that wasn't always the case. I read pretty much horror and nothing else in my early teens, mostly short fiction but a fair few novels too, but there are plenty of canny editors out there who aren't above slipping a bit of fantasy or SF amongst the darker stuff, so eventually I started paying attention. These days I'm much more inclined towards SF and fantasy; and I'm much more selective when it comes to horror. That said, as with SF and fantasy, the destinctions I make when it comes to labels are entirely my own.

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 03:52 am:   

Bump from above. See first post on thread.

More Bumps for Books:
http://weirdmonger.mindsay.com/bumps_for_books.mws

Blue Tyson
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   

I am definitely an SF fan first.

If I go by my LibraryThing tags :

SF 6900
Fantasy 1300
Horror 1300

Sounds a reasonable ratio to me, I woul dhave said 6-1-1 off the top of my head.

The fantasy stuff I like more probably crosses a bit and is what some people call dark, I guess, sword and sorcery, your ghost busters and monster hunters, in general.

I did binge on horror in the 80s a bit, too.

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:49 am:   

Thanks, Blue, for above and your claim - book on its way.

Swen Daagswoosch
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 07:41 am:   

Phil received Nemo 2 in today's mail. A beautiful book. I'm envious!

Colleen Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:05 am:   

I grew up loving fantasy. The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe was my favorite book of all time. A co-worker introduced me to Jack Vance and the Demon Princes, and I couldn't put them down. I also love Thomas Ligotti's works. I must say I enjoy reading anything and everything.

I will submit my guesses at the other address now. Thanks for the great books Des. I suppose I should stop trying to win them all and start reading them. hehehe

Candy

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:43 am:   

Thanks, Candy. Got your competition entry for ZENCORE (Nemo 7). Anyone can enter this free competition up to 3 times depending on their growing knowledge of the stories and authors etc.
Nemo 2 will be on its way to you, in the meantime.
des

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   

Thank you for Nemo 2, des! Swen aka Rover aka Spot aka Bowser aka Fido is absolutely correct in his opinion of the book's beauty. I let the dog admire the tome from anear (but not too). Although entirely enculturated and intelligent in his own right, Rover has a serious drooling problem... I'm thinking that I'll read the Nemonymous collection in reverse order (but cover to cover in order individually) beginning with Zencore! Then Nemo 5, 4, 3, 2. I vow to honor the concept of nemonymity. I will not read the "next" volume with foreknowledge of the stories' authors.

Best wishes,
Phil

P.S. I'm trying for Nemo 3 at another site, but ran into "debugging mode" at the time I registered. Patience is a virtue, I'm told.

p.p.s. Congratulations to Colleen, the Queen of Smash & Grab!

Blue Tyson
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   

Yeah, I got that too, the phpBB emailer error. Have seen that on several forums in the past.

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 04:18 pm:   

Blue - at the other site - try logging in and posting. It worked for me, despite the fact that I received a "welcome" email from the site proclaiming that my account needed to be activated by a moderator. Debug the debuggers! Best of luck on the other threads. Thanks to des, Colleen and I have burgled a considerable amount of Nemo (a noble nongasnonliquidnonsolid). Nemo (known as No on the Periodic Chart) has the atomic number of 6. Carbon is a charlatan. Nemo's atomic weight is 0. No more and no less. Carry on...

Blue Tyson
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   

Yep, you are right, that worked.

Thanks. :-)

0? Nemo needs a few good pub dinners then. :-)

Grant Wamack
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   

I guess you can say horror comes first,fantasy second,and sf third. Combos are much appreciated.

Ron Breznay
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 06:19 pm:   

When I was in upper elementary school and high school, I read a lot of science fiction. I loved SF movies and thought the books would be comparable, but they weren't really. In fact, some books or passages I didn't understand. Around 1980, I read Stephen King's Night Shift. That got me interested in horror. Then in quick order, I read Salem's Lot and Peter Straub's Ghost Story and Shadowland. I was then hooked on horror and that has been my preference since. I still like science fiction, but mainly that which takes place in a contemporary setting (which is hard to find), such as Carl Sagan's Contact and anything by Michael Crichton. I don't care for SF that takes place a long time ago or in a galaxy far away. And if the title is a compound word, I usually pass it up. I never really got into fantasy, though I do like some of Raymond Feist's books.

Charles Black
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:11 am:   

I prefer horror.

But is The Streets of Ashkelon by Harry Harrison, horror or sci-fi?

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 04:20 pm:   

Charles, Mr. Harrison's story is both science fiction and horror. "The Streets of Ashkelon" also hints at religious allegory. Thematically, the story is a sort of precursor to Michael Moorcock's masterpiece "Behold the Man" (1966). Both tales relate the consequences of wish-fulfillment, perhaps a death wish at heart. In either case, the results are ironic and inevitable. These two works are horror framed in science fiction trappings, and hang in my personal collection of favorites.

Best wishes,
Phil

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:17 am:   

My gnarled subconsciousness has been noodling over "religious" or "spiritual" science fiction since I posted last night. I've been thinking about the evolution of the form and how a work might influence subsequent works by others. I've not made the connection before, but A. Bertram Chandler's 1967 story "The Left-Hand Way" may have influenced "The Electric Ant" (1969) by Philip K. Dick. Highly recommended, both stories address the issues faced by androids engaged in self-discovery.

des lewis
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 01:18 pm:   

Your gnarled conch again, Gas Station?
Is A Bertram any relation to Raymond?
Of course, the design of Nemo 5 is Dickian, but it hasn't reached you yet... :-(

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   

des, A. Bertram Chandler's daughter married Ramsey Campbell. One can't make everything up, alas.

Off to the Conch for drowning by slow pints...

des lewis
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 09:09 am:   

I didn't know that.

Dflewis
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   

I've changed the colour scheme of the secret wheels:
http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2007/03/secret-wheels.html

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 03:35 pm:   

des, the chromatics of the secret wheels are spectacular! Red, white, black, and blue (my personal favorite) have never looked better. The layout is more practical, as well. Bravo!

Best wishes,
Phil

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 06:22 am:   

Free book, free shipping. See above.

des lewis
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 02:33 pm:   

Bump

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register