Free ZENCORE! book Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Free ZENCORE! book « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 01:40 am:   

ZENCORE BOOK: details:
http://www.nemonymous.com

If you post here at least three brief critiques, you will receive (until further notice) a brand new copy of this book by surface mail. Each critique (each comprising at least 75 words) should be of any of the stories on the Weirdmonger Wheel:
http://weirdmonger.mindsay.com/reinvented_wheel.mws

There is a maximum of ten Zencore books available on this thread. (5 Sep 07)

EDITED TO MAKE RULES EASIER TO UNDERSTAND: 4 Sep 2007

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   

When I approach a work by D. F. Lewis, I know in advance that I am in for one of my two usual reactions: either a pleased (but discomfited) grin or a fit of head-scratching and hair-pulling. "Imprimatur of the Monster" is simple in its plot, but long in its ideas. The tale relates a man's railway journey across the English countryside to return to his childhood home. The man carries with him the unbearable memories and presence of a monster which must be confronted and vanquished. Our narrator realizes that he must stare his chilhood bogeyman in the eye, acknowledge its reality and power, and become a savior of sorts so that others may not suffer. The beast is at once a figment of our narrator's imagination, the oddities of the real world, and the unimaginable and ineffable underpinnings which drive the universe. The story's ending may be objectively interpreted in two ways: either as an authorial copout or as a brilliant play at metafiction. I walked away from this one with that stupid grin on my face. "Imprimatur of the Monster" first appeared in Crypt of Cthulhu #87 (Lammas 1994).

"...I am that ideologue weirdmonger..." - D. F. Lewis, "Imprimatur of the Monster"

Byron Bailey
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   

I intend to do one, too, but it might not be for a few days. Three other people do one and we can have a contest.

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 02:44 pm:   

Four. I can do the math.

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 02:55 pm:   

I think B meant 1 from you, 1 from him, plus 3 others.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 02:58 pm:   

I was counting the one I was going to do. Yet still, good idea as the proverb goes. "A bird in the hand is worth feathers in the bush. Or is it, "Feathers in the bush are worth more in the hand?" Then there's the old saying that goes, "Don't count you chickens before the fox arrives." Something like that.

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 03:16 pm:   

"1 + 0 + 4 = 5. Don't count on winning." - Albert Einstein, "Bicycles and Grooming: Thoughts on Two Wheels" (1953)

Fred E. Killinger Jr.
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 03:26 pm:   

Gee, another thread to win. Hello guys and gals. Bumpity el bumpo.

Fred

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 01:40 am:   

0 + 0 = 0

From solitary confinement,
Phil

Byron Bailey
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   

"A Sack of Santa" brings me back to my childhood when the world was much smaller and I believed in silly fantasies like the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. As the narrator says, "The house was huger than when I was small and gullible." The world I now live in is most definitely huge and terrifying, and at times, I can't say I wouldn't want to go back to the smaller world of childhood. There is no going back, though, once the walls of childhood have crumbled. I mourn for that child that I was, yet what can I do?

What I'm not going to do is what the narrator does in "A Sack of Santa Clause." He makes of himself a kind of sack of presents to the children to shore up those walls of beliefs for perhaps the two more important myths of our lives.

http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2004/12/sack-of-santa.html

The story wasn't that good for me the first time I read it. By the third time I read it, I really liked it, though. Good sense of mood. Other very different interpretations are entirely possible, especially if you view the happenings in the story as literal.

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   

Thanks Phil and Byron. Food for thought, even for the author! I wrote them so long ago.
Two down, only three to go (by others) before the contest truly starts. Could take a while though to ignite!
des

Fred E. Killinger Jr.
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 03:36 pm:   

1+0=1 Which means only one can win, which is me!

Fred

Fred E. Killinger Jr.
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 03:45 pm:   

"SNOW AT MIDNIGHT" certainly took me back to the days where a big snow meant school being cancelled and lying back in bed luxurating in the warmth of the bed compared to the cold, icy looks and the snow falling from the outside. I remember several times dreaming that I had awoken only to then awaken and realize that I had been dreaming I was awake. What a very strang feeling, and the way it is brought across in this story is actually chilling the way the girl never truly knows if she is awake or sleeping. I got a bad feeling at the slamming kitchen door, but the story didn't go in that direction. Overall, I liked the story and the way it kept you thinking about what was really going on.

Fred

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 03:53 pm:   

Byron,

I have just realized that today is Christmas Eve in July. Only you know whether the timing of your post was intentional or coincidental. I've not read the story yet, but am intrigued. You've made me want to read it, which is a sure sign of a fine critique. See how everything fits together?

Best wishes,
Phil

Byron Bailey
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 09:52 am:   

Christmas wasn't intentional. However, whether it might have been swimming about in the depths of my unconscious, leaping out into the open as I typed, who can say?

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 06:16 pm:   

Coal in my stocking again. All things considered, a practical gift!

Byron Bailey
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 06:45 pm:   

I loved those lumps of coal I got every year for Christmas. As a kid, it really meant a lot for someone with the stature of Santa to recognize my burgeoning talent for arson.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   

BTW, in case there is any misunderstanding, the above post was nothing more than a joke. In actuality, I don't have any skills anywhere near as marketable as arson.

You ladies still love me, though, right?

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:40 am:   

Byron, congrats on winning Zencore elsewhere! Does your nobility spread to this thread as well? Please advise, O Master of the Eight-fold Gatefold...

des lewis
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 04:22 am:   

This thread is still poised.
Only two more critques (by others) needed before the contest starts to heat up for anyone.
des

Byron Bailey
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   

"Byron, congrats on winning Zencore elsewhere! Does your nobility spread to this thread as well? Please advise, O Master of the Eight-fold Gatefold..."

Thank you, Phill. I shall do what you say on this thread and advise. As for competing myself on this thread? I am not one to hoard enlightenment when I already have mine.

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 04:19 am:   

There really is honor among thieves!

Byron Bailey
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 11:14 am:   

Who you calling honorable?

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 06:46 pm:   

Now let us count our chickens. Uh-oh! The number appears to be infinite...

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 02:07 am:   

This thread is still poised.
Only two more critques (by others) needed before the contest starts to heat up for anyone.
des

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:17 am:   

des has graciously awarded me a copy of Zencore in another thread. I will not vie for one here. Byron the Zen master has shown me the way. Good luck, brave souls!

Waste not, want not:

D. F. Lewis' short story "Down to the Boots" was inspired by "The Shadow over Innsmouth," H. P. Lovecraft's classic tale of miscegenation. Mr. Lewis' story is much quieter than "The Shadow over Innsmouth," arguably Lovecraft's most frenzied and action-packed work. "Down to the Boots" explores the themes of loss and transformation through its characters, Owen and Madge, a rather unsuccessful fisherman and his wife. Madge has lost several previous husbands to the sea, and wonders one day why Owen hasn't returned home. She sets out to investigate, only to discover proof positive of her husband's disappearance. This reader suspects that Madge will soon hook a new husband, however. One might say that this story is a deep one, as this little gem has much to say about loneliness, boredom, time, and death. Highly recommended. "Down to the Boots" was first published in Dagon #26 in 1989).

des lewis
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:31 am:   

Thanks, Phil, for your 2nd critique.
Only two more critiques (by others) needed before the contest starts to heat up for anyone.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 09:30 am:   

I have to read, "Down to the Boots." "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" has a special place in my heart being the first Lovecraft I've read.

Swen Daagswoosch
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 09:36 am:   

I must say that Mr. Stecco's critiques are particularly colorful and insightful.

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 09:45 am:   

Thank you, Swen. My critiques were originally written in crayon, a different color for each word. For the record, my favorite color is Labatt Blue.

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 08:02 am:   

My favourite colour is white.

des lewis
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 03:37 pm:   

a white like this?

Nick Jackson
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 03:56 am:   

My favourite colour is a sort of off black. Now that I know that Swen and Phillip are in cahoots, I'm not sure that I'll be playing anymore, except that I'm still waiting for a double order of soup.

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 07:35 am:   

in cahoots

More like nemonyte filters - and such filters work in both directions, via literary baffles. Or whisked into meaning-oubliettes.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 07:36 pm:   

Sorry about the soup, Nick, but we've run out of hair and have to wait for our supplier to grow more.

I don't know why you wouldn't stick around, though. I've seen _The Nemonicon_, have actually won my own copy, and it may just be the best thing I've ever won.

My favorite color? Fuligin, the color blacker than black. My least favorite color? Romney, the color whiter than white.

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 03:52 am:   

Bump from above. See first post on thread.

More Bumps for Books:
http://weirdmonger.mindsay.com/bumps_for_books.mws

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:25 am:   

I received my copy of Zencore! in yesterday's mail. I've read only the first story so far. If "Torsion" (about the secret nature of snails) is indicative of the book's quality and weirdness, we're all in for a treat. A lovely book, indeed. Thank you, des!

I assure Nick and Fred that me, myself, and Swen will not compete for Zencore! on this thread.

Best of luck to all!

Blue Tyson
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   

The Builder Dragons of Planet Ishgilia

http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2005/04/builder-dragons-of-planet-ishgilia.html# links

Birthday bash monumentally doomed.

There seems to be more than a few shades of Clark Ashton Smith running around this planet. Effulgence is not one of the usual words that you associate with dragons type stories I think.

Sort of sad but not, as they party on regardless of the massive age of their planet and the star that is really pretty necessary to staying alive.

4 out of 5

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 01:01 am:   

Yes, you're right, Blue - 4 out of 5 critiques done. Thanks. One more critique to go by a different person from the previous 4, then the contest starts! :-)
des

Blue Tyson
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 07:16 pm:   

Lol. 4 out of 5 for story was what I meant, but it is cool if that works too.

I hadn't counted. :-)

Nick Jackson
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 03:27 am:   

Well, this is just about the worst service I've ever had. Here I am with my napkin tucked in waiting for soup and what do I get. Excuses! :-)
I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Swen Daagswoosch
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:09 am:   

D. F. Lewis' short story "The Fair of the Dog" offers the reader an object lesson in learning to appreciate what life has to offer. The story is set at a fair (read carnival or circus). A fair patron with rather high expectations is duly given his comeuppance in a most unexpected and humorous manner. This reader, in his next life, yearns to be Cerberus if only in miniature. The moral here: Don't bite the hand that seats you. This delightful story is highly recommended!

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:35 am:   

Thanks for that enticing critique, Spot. It seems rather apt you should choose it.

However, judging by;
http://www.nightshadebooks.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=201&post=129368#POST1 29368
we are still on 4 out of 5 critiques so far. :-)
des

Nick Jackson
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:16 am:   

Is that a barbed attack on me? ;-) I'm a patient man but...

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:49 am:   

Sorry, Nick. I was hoping to get the ball rolling for other posters, but the Umpire Supremo has ruled, and I suspect all decisions are final.

Allow me, if you would, monsieur, to inquire upon your personal preference. The hair of the human is quite good, yes, but is cloying in its aftertaste. Might I recommend the hair of the dog du jour? It is much better than tomorrow's...

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   

Allow me, if you would, monsieur...

I'm reading MONSIEUR by Lawrence Durrell at the moment which is, inter alia, about Gnostics and the Prince of Darkness. Textured prose like matted, but potentially beautiful, hair that needs a high-powered reading braincomb.

Grant Wamack
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 05:31 pm:   

Well here's my critique.
The Clinging of the Cold is a short tale which is a usual for it's author D.F. Lewis. It's about this woman who has grown up and is telling a story about Donna to her children. You never find out the end of the story the narrator tells. A weird werewolf tale(if that) needs to be read more than once to get the full impact.

Grant Wamack
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 05:33 pm:   

My review sounds bad when the story is good.

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   

Hey! The 48 hours started expiring after Grant's first post above!

Blue Tyson
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:09 am:   

They did?

Ok. :-)

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:28 am:   

Yes, they are still expiring until someone posts another critique at which time a new 48 hours starts expiring. The only condition is that anyone who has 'won' Zencore before is excluded. Otherwise, anyone can now post any number of critiques.
des

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 04:03 pm:   

I can be no more than a cheerleader at this point. I can't wait to see what happens...

"Go, go, go!"

*Jumps in the air and wildly waves invisible pom-poms*

Fred E. Killinger Jr.
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 07:37 am:   

Okay,
So the countdown begins. I have already won Nemo's 3, 4 and 5, but would still love to have the Zencore book, so I'll give this one a shot. No more posts please, that will make it easier for me to win!

Fred

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 09:09 am:   

Fred you need to have a critique at the end of thread (before the 48 hours expire) to stand a chance of winning in accordance with first post on thsi thread.
des

des lewis
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:26 am:   

In accordance with the rules of his thread (as set out in its first post). I declare Grant Wamack the winner. Please claim your prize, Grant.
des

des lewis
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:28 am:   

I've started a new FREE ZENCORE BOOK thread here:
http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/201/8159.html?1187940469

THAT THREAD IS NOW DEFUNCT, IN FAVOUR OF THE CURRENT ONE YOU ARE NOW READING. PLEASE SEE FIRST POST ABOVE FOR CURRENT POSITION. (5 Sep 07)

Cached version of original thread: http://tinyurl.com/2q846x

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:58 am:   

*Jumps in the air and wildly waves invisible checkered flag*

Nick Jackson
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 07:59 am:   

Thank you Phillip. I prefer, if you would, the hair of the cat du jour - it's fluffier and more palatable I find. Of course, the hair of the dog would do, if there really is nothing else. And do you have a light Merlot to go with that?

Phillip Stecco
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:50 am:   

Monsieur Jackson, the cat du jour is an excellent selection. Calico soup. A savory medley of colors, flavors, and textures served at "temperature room."

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 03:25 am:   

EDITED TO MAKE RULES EASIER TO UNDERSTAND. Please see first post on this thread.

Amazing reviews continue to come out about this book, as linked from here:
http://weirdmonger.livejournal.com/2007/07/26/

More free books here:
http://weirdmonger.mindsay.com/bumps_for_books.mws

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 01:13 am:   

There is a maximum of ten Zencore books available on this thread from today. To obtain one of these, the only post you need to read is the first one on this thread as it now stands.

des lewis
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:02 am:   

A formal review (by Brendan Connell) of 'Zencore!' here:
http://brendanconnell.wordpress.com/2007/09/07/zencore/

des lewis
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 09:10 am:   

It has been drawn to my attention that my various free bumps-for-books threads -- (indeed philanthropically and gratuitously continuing into the future until further notice) -- have become, as an unintended spin-off, a diversion from the real prize Zencore competition here:
http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2007/07/zencore-competition.html !
des

PS: A more short-term prize competition is being run by Brendan Connell relating to his review of Zencore: http://brendanconnell.wordpress.com/

Dflewis
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 01:25 am:   

Interesting take on 'Terminus' (a quite amazing story in Zencore), here:
Yesterday's post (12 Sep 07):
http://vaultofevil.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi?board=zero&action=display&num=118 8410987

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 06:22 am:   

Free book, free shipping. See above

Swen Daagswoosch
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:24 am:   

Mr. Lewis,

Your Bumps have been fun. I enjoy watching humans play fetch. Thank you!

Best woosches,
Swen

P.S. Three wags of the tail!

des lewis
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:49 am:   

Wagging from three tails back at you, dear sir.

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 08:54 am:   

Amazing new review of Zencore! by Jetse de Vries (one of Interzone's editors):
http://eclipticplane.blogspot.com/2007/09/zencore-review.html

This is what I call a 'rite of review', a very personal experience (or struggle) between book and reader.

Another example of a 'rite of review' (a type of review that Zencore! seems to evoke from its reviewers) is here:
http://vaultofevil.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi?board=zero&action=display&num=118 8410987

des lewis
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 01:52 am:   

Still temporarily available: Free Books/Free Postage (Bumps For Books): http://weirdmonger.mindsay.com/bumps_for_books.mws

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 05:22 am:   

New Zencore! review: “Word Doctor” is a beautiful fantasy about the title healer who has been fixing the broken words of the universe

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 09:09 am:   

(1) There's a review of <<zencore!>> in this magazine:
http://www.hippocampuspress.com/journals/dead-reckonings-2.html
Not sure what it says yet!

(2) On 9th December 2007, I shall be setting up a 'spoiler' webpage to
assign the 17 Zencore stories to their authors, a page you may want to
do without if you've not yet read <<zencore!>> (recommended for a
Stoker and with seven YBF&H Honourable Mentions).
So you only have until then to take advantage of this free competition
offering a reasonable prize:
http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2007/07/zencore-competition.html

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 08:01 am:   

Re (1) above, I now know what it says about Zencore!
A better link for 'Dead Reckonings' is here:
https://www.horror-mall.com/store/product.php?productid=16770&cat=0&page=1

Other reviews are linked from here:
http://weirdmonger.livejournal.com/2007/07/26/

Re (2), Jetse has now made his choices:
http://eclipticplane.blogspot.com/2007/11/zencore-name-guessing-game.html

des lewis
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 07:46 am:   

All Zencore! authors will be officially linked to their stories on 9 December.
des

des lewis
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 01:03 am:   

Yesterday, the Zencore authors were denemonised:
http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/zencore_author_identifications_9_dec_07.htm

And the winner of the guess-the-author competition here:
http://weirdmonger.blogspot.com/2007/07/zencore-competition.html

des lewis
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   

Bump.

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 09:21 am:   

Jetse has commented on his Zencore Competition answers here:
http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/zencore_authors.htm

======================

Anyone who needs their own copy of Zencore! just write to me here
mentioning Veils&Piques:
dflewis48@hotmail.com

======================
"Cone Zero" as a concept is taking off. Just google it!
http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/cone_zero_guidelines.htm

des lewis
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 07:56 am:   

Another review here:
http://www.zone-sf.com/wordworks/zencore1.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register