Nemonymous Submissions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Nemonymous Submissions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des lewis
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 05:20 am:   

Advance notice to readers of Night Shade Boards:
Precise guidelines will be posted here:
http://www.nemonymous.com
in November for submission thereafter.

Rough idea now:
Stories 1000 - 8000 words.

A shortlist of 50 will be chosen from the original bulk of anonymous submissions, and these fifty stories will then be revealed to myself vis a vis their authorship. Any who have not received a Nemonymous edition in the past (either paid or free) will then be automatically deleted from that list because they do not have the nemonymal serendipity of having read it before and absorbed its power. So I don't expect any of the fifty stories to be in that position. Obviously.

In the meantime, free copies are still available.

Half the eventually chosen stories will be by-lined in Nemo 7, half will appear anonymously until they are late-labelled in Nemo 8.

By-lined stories will be paid 40 pounds each, anonymous stories 60 pounds each. Authors will choose which they prefer. Lots drawn if a clash of choices.

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 07:49 am:   

Why the move to by-lined stories, Des?

Dflewis
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 08:46 am:   

Hi, Jamie. Only half of the stories in Nemo 7 will be by-lined. Nemo continues to be an experiment - and now we have two levels of payment I was intrigued to see in which direction writers go.

The format of Nemo 7 will make this bifurcation seem natural.

By the time of the 22nd century, Nemo will probably be the only fiction magazine remembered from the early 21st century. ;-)

des

Dflewis
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 05:12 am:   

Any comments on above? Not yet fully cast in stone.

Nemonymous is one of the few UK fiction magazines offering money for stories, so I want it to be right.
des

Daniel Ausema
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   

I do wonder about the deleting stories by those who haven't received a copy in the past. I have, so it doesn't affect me directly, but I know sometimes things like this can make a magazine look a bit shady. (Even though you've given the opportunity to receive free copies, there's a sense it will feel like you're limiting submissions to subscribers, which can anger some writers as well as possibly limiting your own pool of talent.) And there have been times when a magazine had something within its submission guidelines that made sense at first, but led to some extreme backlash because of how it was perceived (cf. Son and Foe). I wonder if bad publicity for something like that could limit how many people buy the new issue.

If a story is good enough to make the final 50, then I'd think it must have that "nemonymal serendipity" (great phrase, by the way) somehow, sneaking past the author's extreme cultural ignorance :-)

Dflewis
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 01:06 pm:   

I think the fact I'm offering free copies should obviate that criticism, Daniel.

I fully expect not to have to wield the deletion button because only stories from anonymous submissions to reach the final 50 will be from people who have previously received (in any shape or form) any edition of Nemo in the past.

I take your point however that rumourmongering may make me *appear* only to be accepting submissions from subscribers, which is not the case. I am giving away Nemo so that writers stand the best chance possible to reach the final 50. I am the ultimate philanthropist. :-)

Thanks, I'm grateful.
des

Dflewis
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 04:44 am:   

Further to above, someone elsewhere has charged me with playing 'silly games'.

The problem is that 'silly games' is where I come from in both my approach to publishing 'Nemonymous' and in publishing my own fiction. The experimentation and 'happenings' and constructive brainstorming and avant gardism are better terms than 'silly games', for me, and Nemonymous wouldn't exist at all without this background or impetus.

There are two separate things here:

(i) the 'nemonymal serendipity' angle whereby I expect all 50 stories on the short list to be from writers who have seen Nemonymous before. Therefore, threatening to delete any who have not, has no effect. I'm offering free Nemonymi to those who haven't seen it - so it would be foolish for any writer to submit without taking up this offer. Hence my confidence above. This is both an experimental and marketing exercise.

(ii) Needing 50% of the stories to be by-lined and the others to be late-labelled. Disregarding for the moment the marketing advantages of having some by-lined stories, this, with variable payments, is an attempt to get further to the bottom of the essence of anonymity. Yet to be decided how best to do this.

des

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 04:38 am:   

I'm indeed having a rethink of some of the above.
des

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 03:04 am:   

Further to fresh thought and kind advice, below are the likely Submission Guidelines (for issue in November) unless more thought or advice make me alter them again!

1. A story deemed suitable for Nemonymous Seven – having considered one or more previous issues of ‘Nemonymous’.

2. 1000 – 8000 words

3. Payment 50 pounds per story published.

4. Stories should be submitted from *November 2006* until 31 March 2007 *anonymously* within the body of an email to bfitzworth@yahoo.co.uk

5. The anonymous address or the story itself should give no clue as to the author’s identity.

6. The story must be original to the author and never published or submitted before in any form.

7. Fifty stories will be chosen as the short list. The authors of these stories will then reveal his or her identity to Nemonymous to the above email address and nowhere else. They will also opt for their story to be published anonymously (and late-labelled in Nemo 8) *or* to have their name appearing in a list of Nemo 7 authors at the back of Nemo 7 in a random order (and their name attached to the correct story by notification in Nemo 8).

8. Any author who reveals him- or herself from within the shortlist and turns out never to have seen a copy of Nemonymous in the past will automatically be deleted from consideration. This is unlikely to happen (if not impossible) because (a) a story chosen for the shortlist will in all serendipity be from a writer who has seen Nemonymous before and/or (b) free copies of Nemonymous are now being offered up to 31 March 2007 to any who apply to the above email address as long as they simply pay the postage.

des

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 04:18 am:   

BTW, that 50 *UK* pounds per story.

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 04:31 am:   

And also any writer who appears in Nemo - when looked back upon from the distant future - will be more famous for having been in Nemo than for anything else they had published! :-)

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 07:56 am:   

Des,

I am eagerly anticipating the opening of Nemo to submissions. I see it as the best chance I have to restart my writing after the lull I have been of late.

Scott Edelman
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 08:05 am:   

I'd much prefer it if writers didn't have to reveal themselves to you until _after_ you'd made your decisions ...

That was one of the best parts about Nemo -- that you could be sure you were accepted for the story and not for the byline.

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 08:37 am:   

Thanks, Jamie.

Scott, I usually get about 600 submissions or more. And I expect more than this for Nemo 7. If I choose fifty from that broad anonymous submission sump then I'm sure each one is worthy (from my point of view) to be included.

I'm trying to put Nemonymous more on a level playing field with other outlets. I'm going to allow my proclivities towards friends, subscribers and big-names to sway me from within that narrow fifty. My purse is not bottomless nor my purity boundless! :-)

Above comments based on bitter experience.
des

Brendan Connell
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 09:08 am:   

That sounds fair to me.

Jetse
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   

quote:

I'm trying to put Nemonymous more on a level playing field with other outlets.

Then you should make it available in as many outlets as possible, and not just Project Pulp (which was a good first step, BTW).

quote:

I'm going to allow my proclivities towards friends, subscribers and big-names to sway me from within that narrow fifty.

Of course, one could provide you with an imaginary name when (supposedly) revealing her/his identity, and when you want to delete this -- unknown to you -- author, she/he might protest that she/he borrowed a copy from a friend, or bought one from me at a convention (I did sell a few copies both in the UK and USA).

It'll be interesting.

Also, this will exclude future publications of *totally* anonymous stories like "George the Baker" and "The Vanishing Life and Films of Emmanuel Escobada", which I think is a shame, and takes away a bit of what makes Nemo special.

quote:

Above comments based on bitter experience.

Don't let it get you down, Des!

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   

Hi, thanks, Jetse.
It doesn't necessarily remove the possibility of completely anonymous stories forever - as it will only be me (as before) who knows who wrote them. Nothing changed there.

But I agree I need to get my act together re distribution.
des

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   

BTW, Jetse, please don't forget, regarding the other 'problem' you mention, the phenomenon of Nemo Six. And I'm not going to comment further on that. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register