HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Megazanthus

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Megazanthus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Des
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 08:11 am:   

Me-gaza-nth-us

Me: the cult of... as denied by Nemo

Gaza: Eyeless In ...(as in Aldous Huxley)

nth: to the ... degree - symbolic of infinity

Us: the Jungian archeype of ourness and timelessness and collaboration and shared universes

"The nemo is an evolutionary force, as necessary as the ego. The ego is certainty, what I am; the nemo is potentiality, what I am not. But instead of utilizing the nemo as we would utilize any other force, we allow ourselves to be terrified by it, as primitive man was terrified by lightning. We run screaming from this mysterious shape in the middle of our town, even though the real terror is not in itself, but in our terror at it."
-- John Fowles (from 'The Necessity of Nemo' in 'The Aristos')

nemo
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:59 am:   

Eyeless = I-less ?

iotar
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 08:10 am:   

Eyeless = Aye, lass?

Des
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:09 am:   

"Eyeless in Gaza" are words quoted by Aldous Huxley for his novel title from John Milton's 'Samson Agonistes'. A dramatic poem where Samson (before or after bringing down the walls of literature (I'm not sure when) and having dealings with the god Dagon) is depilated by Dalila and he does say 'Aye, lass' in a plaintive, fateful tone - or words to that effect.
Actually, the poem is about the aftermath of similar events. Nemonic licence.
Des

Des
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   

It's simply not fair! I wish had the opportunity of anoymously submitting a story to a publication and then being published anonymously (if accepted). A rare experience denied me. :-(
At least every writer should try it at least once. No?
Des

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:23 am:   

I absolutely agree. It's an opportunity to be published (and read) cleanly, perhaps the ONLY such opportunity.

Why is there any opposition to the NEMO process at all from reviewers??? This is not a difficult question to answer. The reviewing process is fundamentally flawed. It is about the reviewer pushing himself by defining the opposition in a manageable way.

I gave up reviewing because the process is corrupt. I'm ready to have a BIG debate about this if anybody wants one.

Rhys
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:25 am:   

By hiding the ego of the writer, NEMO frustrates the ego of the reviewer. Therefore: carping, bitterness, envy, weakness in reviews.

Des
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 07:52 am:   

I am the only writer in the whole world who's been deprived this opportunity - i.e submitting anonymously and being published anonymously just once. Not too much to ask, is it? Dear agony aunt or uncle, what can I do about it?
Des

PS: Rhys, I suppose Nemo provokes thoughts re reviewing etc. that have never been thought before. But I don't have any grandiose pretensions that Nemo will ever change anything or even that it should change anything. It's just an opportunity for something different at least once in a writer's life. And something different for a reviewer to get their teeth into. And a new indefinable experience for the reader that (based on feedback) sometimes seems to give a sense of gestalt to the collected stories, and other factors that have been, so far, hard to pin down. Nothing more.

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:32 am:   

Des, if you got a guest editor every now and again, then you too would have that opportunity . . . How about an anonymous guest editor?

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:33 am:   

. . . But of course, could anyone but you edit such a Megazanthus?

Des
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:54 am:   

I did have other editors but they were to be original Nemo authors editing their 'shared universes' which I've now abandoned. Des

Des
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:46 am:   

A Nemonymous reader has written to me thus:

"I don't know whether you know about this, but I've just finished reading Simon Clark's new book Vampyrrhic Rites, and on page 499 discovered the following passage

'As you know, boys and girls, I've kept the identities of people featured on this website anonymous (and no, Mr Siwel, offers of cash will not entice me to name names in Nemonymous, cherishable though your magazine is).'"

des
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:16 am:   

Poll Question at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veils_and_piques/:

Nemonymous has suffered and will always suffer from the fact that potential readers/customers of fiction outlets are usually writers who want to further the cause of their name -- and, therefore, any connection with Nemonymous is avoided consciously or sub-consciously by such writers, thus stripping Nemonymous of support, however worthy Nemonymous happens to be.
I agree --- I disagree

Please elaborate, if you can, upon your answer at this public forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nemonymous/
which contains current submission guidelines
- or on this board.

Iam Noman
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 06:09 pm:   

There are things I want to say about Dubya that I could only write as a nemo. They even named the agency of repression out of an old "New Wave" story, only they identified with the villains when they put Ashcroft in charge.

des
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:28 am:   

A Nemonymous Board is not designed for 'anonymous' postings. Nemonymity is a literary hypothesis-in-practice (with later 'denemonisation') and a way to present short fiction in a gestalt fashion via the megazanthus.
Opinions (especially about politics etc) need to be 'denemonised'...and preferably, Iam, not on a Nemonymous Board. Des

des
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 04:38 am:   

Re the poll described above - those agreeing to the proposition are currently winning. des

Iam Noman
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:09 am:   

You don't realize how civil rights have been stripped from Americans by the office of Homeland Security.

A person raising too much Hell could end up in Gitmo.

The USA is entering a millenium of solitude.
We will end up as bad off as any banana republic in short order.

Did you read how Dubya double-crossed Tony Blair? Just when he needs the most international support, he jettisons his last overseas friend as supercargo. People mean nothing to him.

Just go online and put the word "psychopath" in your search engine. Find a test of what it means to be a true psychopath. Then compare that list to Dubya's behaviour.

There are already people in third world countries who need to post as nemos. Americans aren't far behind them.

des
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:58 am:   

Part of the Nameless Cwm:
http://tinyurl.com/yrhk3

des
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:25 am:   

Friends of Nemo, can you please distribute a copy of attached page at:
http://tinyurl.com/2josl
to all your friends and contacts.
I'd be grateful.

des
nemonymous@hotmail.com

AliceB
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:54 am:   

Des, I can't get the page to come up (claims it doesn't exist?)

Alice

des
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:10 am:   

Sorry, Alice, I'll send it to you separately if you contact me here:
bfitzworth@yahoo.co.uk
And that goes for anyone else having trouble.
Thanks for being a Friend of Nemo.
des

des
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   

Since revisiting this thread, I was amazed to discover that I actually once tried to underpin the word 'megazanthus' with some sort of derivation. Blimey! See below.
des

Me-gaza-nth-us

Me: the cult of... as denied by Nemo

Gaza: Eyeless In ...(as in Aldous Huxley)

nth: to the nth degree -- symbolic of infinity

Us: the Jungian archetype of ourness and timelessness and collaboration and shared universes

(Eyeless = I-less)

"The nemo is an evolutionary force, as necessary as the ego. The ego is certainty, what I am; the nemo is potentiality, what I am not. But instead of utilizing the nemo as we would utilize any other force, we allow ourselves to be terrified by it, as primitive man was terrified by lightning. We run screaming from this mysterious shape in the middle of our town, even though the real terror is not in itself, but in our terror at it."
-- John Fowles (from 'The Necessity of Nemo' in 'The Aristos' 1964)

des
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:22 am:   

...whilst all along 'megazanthus' was the way of least resistance that the words 'magazine' and 'anthology' seemed to flow together.
(I didn't then know that there was a plant called a megalanthus).
des

Dflewis
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 04:17 am:   

Just to update this thread (for those linking directly to it from elsewhere), 'Megazanthus' has transformed yet again into a character in The Tenacity Of Feathers.
des

Dflewis
Username: Dflewis

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 04:36 am:   

http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/megazanthus.htm
for a blog based on this old thread.

NULL IMMORTALIS (the last Nemonymous) is out now in 2010: 360 pages and a wonderful array of authors.

Dflewis
Username: Dflewis

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 02:33 pm:   

THE HORROR ANTHOLOGY OF HORROR ANTHOLOGIES
http://horroranthology.wordpress.com/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |