Nemonymous Seven Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Nemonymous Seven « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dflewis
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 03:23 am:   

I am pleased to announce that I intend the next Nemonymous - Issue Number Seven - to be published in May 2007.

I shall be issuing submission guidelines in November 2006. This will remain a generously paying market for writers, but there will be at least one change from previous guidelines, ie. fifty stories will be chosen as a short list from all the anonymous submissions (and any author will not be restricted to just one submission) and, at that point, the identity of these fifty stories' authors will be revealed to me as the editor before I choose the final twelve stories.
des

Dflewis
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 04:46 am:   

You could say, therefore, that Nemo 6 (this month) was the blank edition. It just had to happen. After the blank story and the blank cover and...
Forgive me.
des

Dflewis
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:28 am:   

Photo of Nemo Six for those without a copy:
http://www.articusstudiodesign.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bbkbus e.jpg

Thanks, Yellowish Haze, for this.

Scott Edelman
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   

And will the stories themselves still be published anonymously?

Dflewis
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:53 pm:   

Hi, Scott
I intend that half of the stories in Nemo 7 will be directly by-lined when published (ie 'traditionally' published) and the other half anonymous (ie to be late-labelled as is traditional with Nemo). If there is no agreement between the 12 accepted authors which is to be which, there will be a random draw for direct by-lining or not. And I'm planning the payment per story will be 50 pounds for anonymous (late-labelled) or 30 pounds for by-lined.
des

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 01:23 am:   

Since announcing the prospect of NEMONYMOUS SEVEN, a few people have written to me expressing varying degrees of concern that I’m selling out on the ethos of Nemonymity.

The five individual editions (anthologies) that represent NEMONYMOUS to date have received some very good reviews and also seem to have been thought-provoking in some circles. Despite this, many ‘professionals’ in the world of fiction treat NEMONYMOUS as if it doesn’t exist and has no bearing on any discussions on the state of the short story market etc. Indeed, I consider NEMONYMOUS to have been a failed experiment. This is what I said when it mock-folded to leave room for the blank edition (Nemo 6). A blank edition seemed a natural progression, following the blank story in itself, the stories about blankness and the blank cover. It simply had to be. In fact, someone has just written to me saying he would like a copy as he is obessed with completism!

So, in view of the failed experiment, what do I do? ‘Unmock’ the folding? Carry on as before? Or modify?

I feel I am coming up with a ‘package’ of changes that retain the Nemonymity but redirects its trajectory.

Based on experience, there will be hundreds and hundreds of anonymous submissions for Nemo 7. So if, say, Stephen King sends in a story and it doesn’t fit, I shall never know I rejected him! This is unique to Nemonymous.

From those initial anonymous submissions, I shall choose 50 stories that will then denemonise before I choose the final 12 or so. But coupled with this there will later be some method of dividing the final stories into two halves, whereby one half will be directly by-lined in print and the other half anonymous (late-labelled). The anonymous stories will be paid far more than the by-lined ones (but both will nevertheless be generously paid).

So NEMONYMOUS will still provide the *unique* opportunity for a writer to have his story published anonymously. Two strands of anonymity coupled with two strands of marketable non-anonymity. Seems an interesting experiment to conduct. An experiment that would seem radical, if it had not been proceeded by the initial radicality of my original concept of Nemonymity. Nobody else has yet followed in the footsteps of Nemonymity. So I thought I would follow tentatively in its footsteps myself!

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 04:22 am:   

'proceeded' --> 'preceded'
oops.
des

Scott Edelman
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   

Personally, what attracted me to Nemonymous as a market was both the anonymous submitting process and the anonymous publication.

If I submitted a story to Nemonymous Seven, and were to make the cut of 50, I wouldn't want to be unmasked at that stage in order to make it to the next. I'd want to be anonymous all the way through the process.

I can understand your feelings that the magazine would be easier to market if you were to print the bylines of some of the stories, but I'm not sure why the previous submission policy needs to change as well. FWIW, I'd be one of the writers who would choose to remain anonymous if chosen.

Dflewis
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 02:10 pm:   

Thanks, Scott. I share your attitude. I'm sure if I had the chance to submit anonymously, I'd be really pleased if my story is chosen. And I would then want it to be published anonymously. I've never had that chance for this to be done with one of my stories, because the mag I run is/ was the only only one providing such a service.

But I think that attitude is a rare one.

Dflewis
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 12:38 am:   

Further to that (I see I haven't answered your other question) -- I have changed the submission procedures for hard-nosed reasons. Nemonymous being heretofore a failed experiment.

However, I do not intend to allow the name of the writer or whether the writer is a customer or not to affect my choice of stories from the final fifty.

Re the 'name', if I lean anywhere, I shall lean towards new writers, I guess (which is my instinct - to encourage new writers) bearing in mind that the final fifty stories chosen anonymously from hundreds of others are all likely to be suitable for Nemo 7. But I do not intend to lean in any direction other than the right story for Nemo 7!

Re the 'customer' issue, I think it important for writers to *believe* (or wonder if) the fact that they are a customer will be weighed in the balance by the editor choosing stories, even if (as should be the case in my opinion) the editor takes no notice whatsoever of this fact! (I think there are millions of budding writers and all existing and potential customers for all short story outlets are among them).
des

des lewis
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:48 am:   

Hey, can't wait till I'm reading for Nemo 7. It's in the blood.
des

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 01:08 am:   

For those unaware of the fact - NEMONYMOUS is still very much alive as a writer's paying market and guidelines for issue 7 will be issued in November. Much interest in the 'Nemonymous' phenomenon has gradually built up over the last six years and now is the time is to consolidate such interest, if not stoke it!

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 03:28 am:   

Just a reminder - submission guidelines in respect of this paying market for short stories will be issued here during November:
http://www.nemonymous.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register