A First Example of Nemonymosity? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » A First Example of Nemonymosity? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JeffV
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 02:07 pm:   

Des:

I'm reading Paul Collins Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books, about Hay-on-Wye. I came across this curious passage:

"...on a previous trip, I'd found a first edition of Mercy Philbrick's Choice, an extraordinary fictional portrayal of artistic isolation that Emily Dickinson's friend Helen Hunt Jackson published while the poet was still alive, and unknown...The author was nearly as well hidden as her subject: the book was published by Thomas Niles to inaugurate his No Name Series, which published new works by writers like Jackson, Louisa May Alcott, and Christina Rossetti anonymously, allowing the works to stand or fall in review columns on their own merits. It is hard to imagine hype-hungry publishers undertaking such a project today."

JeffV
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Des
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 11:58 pm:   

Hi, Jeff, thanks for that. Fascinating. Didn't know about it, I don't think.
I have been aware of sporadic or hit-and-run examples of nemonymity throughout literary history, such as novels with a bizarre pseudonym or simply anonymous. I am confident however that Nemonymous (in November 2001) was the world's first ever collection of fiction stories by different authors presented anonymously in a self-contained book.
Since then, http://www.anon.be has hit the streets, whereby (I understand) both authors and publisher remain anonymous forever to each other and to readers, and where contributor's copies need to be collected from a local bookshop, which the author has to arrange.
Des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register