Nemo 5 denemonisations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Nemo 5 denemonisations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 01:44 am:   

ROBYN ALEZANDERS
'Soul Stains'

Her fiction has at last made its momentous debut in Nemonymous 5. Somewhere out there in an urban landscape, she weaves more of her haunting stories, amidst neighbors that only know her for awesome chocolate chunk cookies.

Of "Soul Stains" she says, "True tattoo artists have portfolios of original imagery, not rubber stamp cartoons........a genuine tattoo therefore should be unique to the person who conjured it.......in synergy with one's psyche......."

des
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 03:41 am:   

PAUL MELOY
'Running Away To Join The Town'

I wrote Running Away To Join The Town between Black Static and Dying In The Arms Of Jean Harlow. I didnít know it was going to become a spoke in the Quay-Endulan wheel until I had to find a name for the carnival. Rainscissor and Morgoderís Autoscopic Cavalcade suggested itself and that was it. I wanted to write a series of stories, all of them differing in style but each resonant with the others in certain ways, culminating in an as yet only partly written novel pulling together all the strands and unifying the themes of the Unconscious, Innocence, Quantum physics, Creation and Faith. Itís all a bit ambitious, but fuck it, Iím having a go. Iíve always thought Nemonymous was a lovely thing, unique, eccentric but above all, fun. Iím delighted to have been able to contribute something to it.

des
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 03:55 am:   

ANONYMOUS
George The Baker

I so wish I could tell you who wrote this strange and wonderful story, one that was reviewed favorably as similar to the great film of ERASERHEAD. The story is quite different but I see what they mean. It holds a very important place in my heart from the Nemonymous canon of 83 stories.

des
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 06:18 am:   

NEIL WILLIAMSON
Well Tempered

This was always going to be an odd little story. It was originally written for a market with a 1000 word limit, so even though I've expanded it a little to let it breathe it's turned out more concise and pared back than my usual efforts. When I was looking for a venue to send this story to, I immediately thought of Mr Lewis and his fascination with odd music. It seems to have been a good fit. Like some, I wouldn't minded this story being eternally nemonymous, but unfortunately its inclusion in my forthcoming collection, The Ephemera, might have given the game away.

des
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   

RACHEL KENDALL
Solid Gold

She has had a number of short stories published in magazines and anthologies, many of which are included in the self-published collection Her Black Little Heart. Details of this and other short stories can be found at her website http://www.kissthewitch.co.uk
She is currently working on a novel and editing the e-zine Sein und Werden.

des
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:10 am:   

GARY McMAHON
New Science

Gary McMahon's recent fiction appearances include stories in the anthologies Poe's Progeny, Lunar Harvest and Bernie Herrmann's Manic Sextet, as well as in magazines including Scifantastic, Bare Bone, Nocturne and Midnight Street. Two of his stories received Honourable Mentions in the 2005 edition of The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror. Gary can be contacted at www.garymcmahon.com.

Regarding his Nemonymous experience, Gary remains jubilant. The act of having a story appear anonymously is at once thrilling, frustrating and devilishly good fun. An interesting point is that reviews can also be written without prejudice - which can only be a positive thing.

des
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 07:42 am:   

LAVIE TIDHAR
Grandma's Two Watches

This is one of my rare Hebrew stories, so getting the English version published by Des was doubly exciting Ė I wasn't sure how this very personal story would be accepted and I was glad Des clearly understood what I was trying to do with this one. I think it found a good home in Nemonymous: the same publication that afforded me my first break, with The Ballerina in volume 3. So thanks again, Des...

When it was published in Israel it seemed to get one of two responses, either very enthusiastic or vehement objection. I'm glad to say one of the enthusiastic responses came from an Israeli director, and I am currently writing the film treatment of the story, which is a challenging exercise!

I wrote this story for my grandmother, after she passed away. It is also nostalgic Ė to a time and a way of life that no longer exist Ė and just about everything in it is real Ė the crop circle, the volunteers, the UFO expert with the dangling earrings and a head full of Area 51 conspiracy theories...

I've not written a lot of stories set on the kibbutz I grew up on. Alienation and Love in the Hebrew Alphabet (published in Chizine; reprinted in Infinity Plus) is another one, but childhood, by its nature, is a place you can never go back to: you can only ever remember it, and maybe recreate a semblance of it in words. I hope, to some extent, I succeeded.

des
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:57 am:   

S.D. TULLIS
The Hills Are Alive

S. D. Tullis is the author of a number of short stories, two of which have appeared in the last two issues of Nemonymous, and is the recipient of multiple honorable mentions in the Years Best Fantasy and Horror. About The Hills are Alive he says, "Most people have correctly guessed this to be a homage of sorts to Robert Aickman. It came about partly from an informal challenge made to me by a writer friend of mine (or possibly from me to him), in which we were to write stories in the style of some of our favorite authors. Another product of this experiment, paying homage to a different author, will be appearing in an upcoming issue of All Hallows from Ash-Tree Press."
And about the Nemonymous experience as a whole: "Deeply gratified to have been involved, and deeply saddened to see it go."

des
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:19 am:   

MONICA O'ROURKE
Huntin' Season

Monica (J) O'Rourke lives in New York City with three furry feline kids. She's had two novels published (one co-written with Wrath James White), and has edited a bunch of anthos and magazines. Her short stories have appeared in more than sixty magazines and anthologies, including Nasty Piece of Work, Fangoria, Flesh & Blood, Brutarian, Gothic.Net, Writer Online, and Red Scream.

This was her second appearance in Nemonymous and she's terribly sad to see it ending. Nemo was a unique and visionary undertaking, and Des Lewis' efforts should be applauded.

des
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:08 am:   

IAIN ROWAN
Driving In Circles

The first place I ever sold a story to for money was Nemo 2 ('Ice Age'), so the news of the end of "Nemonymous" was sad news indeed. But I'm pleased and proud to have been in the last ever issue too. Thanks Des - and for the pleasure of reading all the other stories too. Since 'Ice Age', I've sold a few other stories; details of those published, or coming up, at www.iainrowan.com.

des
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 03:07 am:   

TONY BALLANTYNE
The Robot And The Octopus

I have written many short stories, SF and otherwise, that have been published in magazines and anthologies around the world. I am currently completing my third novel, DIVERGENCE. RECURSION and CAPACITY, my first two novels, are published by TOR UK, and all three will be available from Bantam Spectra in the US, later on in 2006.

The idea for 'The Robot and the Octopus' came from my six year old daughter, who suggested that they should go around as a team, eating people. Honestly, I don't know where she gets her ideas from...

Dflewis
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 03:12 am:   

THE SCARIEST STORY I KNOW - Scott Edelman

If you look back at the messages on this thread, you will see that this is the story that has not previously been officially denemonised. Details of this author here:
http://www.scottedelman.com

And reviews of this specific story here:
http://www.scottedelman.com/stories.html

Coupled with those reviews, the recent Rev UP Review has said this story was 'stunning' and there would be no justice if it did not win an award. It seems that wherever it is reviewed, it is highly lauded. I hope the fact that it was first published in NEMONYMOUS FIVE does not hold it back from its well-deserved readership and ultimate fame as a story.

*The Vanishing Life and Films of Emmanuel Escobada* in Nemo 2 also received many wonderful reviews in 2002. But that story remained anonymous. I wonder if its author now regrets leaving that story as anonymous?

*George The Baker* from Nemo 5 also remains anonymous to this day and was indeed offered recognition from some quarters should it denemonise. But the author still decided to remain anonymous!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register