The Secret Society of Demolition Writers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » The Secret Society of Demolition Writers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jamie
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400062640/qid=1122057663/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_ 0_3/702-5822546-6332054

I haven't read it, but it appears to be sympatico.

des
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   

Well, well, well, well, thanks Jamie.

NEMONYMOUS is now not alone, it seems.

I'm glad to see they haven't actually claimed to be the first...but they do say:

Never before has such a wide-ranging and talented group of authors been assembled to such explosive and entertaining effect.

Does that imply that NEMONYMOUS (that did this first in 2001) is somehow less explosive??

des

Jamie
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   

That's pure hyperbole, seeing as how it rules out every previous collection everywhere, anonymous or no.

des
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   

Indeed, Jamie.
And how does it work?
Someone's just pointed out to me that all the authors' names are on Amazon.
des

Jamie
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   

True, but it doesn't tell you who wrote which one. So it's at once less anonymous (you know who the authors are) and more anonymous (they never reveal who wrote which one.)

des
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 02:38 pm:   

Ah, I see. The book has a list of the authors within it, but they are *never* linked individually to a story.

But if someone picks up NEMONYMOUS ONE (the world's first anonymous anthology), for example, in a secondhand bookshop, they will never know who wrote each story nor will there be a list to choose from...unless they find NEMONYMOUS TWO in another secondhand bookshop.

There have just been some very interesting different points made on the Nemonymous Yahoogroups - following knowledge of this new book's existence. So thanks, Jamie. I hope some of those points will come on to this thread, too, in due course.

This is a big day in the history of Nemonymity. :-)
des

des
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 03:01 am:   

Lateral labelling, not late labelling?

Someone wrote to the Nemonymous discussion group about this Demolition book as follows:

It looks like the stories are without bylines, but the authors of those stories are indeed listed in the book. I guess the idea is explosive in its own way, sort of like a firecracker or those snap-and-pops you throw at the ground - momentarily distracting. The commercial concerns seem to be driving the experiment as if the publisher would never consent to anonymous stories unless there was a selling point, like listing the "names" to catch the attention of consumers. And, relating this back to this list and the eponymous creation which spawned it, having the names present works against embracing the authors' "nemos" by giving the writers the anti-nobodiness of having their names on the product, if not the individual stories within. "Hey, I am in here, find me if you can!" the Secret Society of Demolition seems to say. In that way, the "Who's who?" becomes a distraction to the story. But at least this volume does shake things up a bit by giving the reader the chance to analyze the work separate from the name. A good idea.

Now, the true TNT-level explosiveness is NEMONYMOUS which doesn't distract the reader with possible solutions to the byline mystery unless the reader waits several months to find out who wrote what. A truer demolition of reader expectations and, one should think, a greater venue for experimentation. Beyond this, the vehicle itself is not guided by commercial considerations, evident from each issue's genesis where the stories are selected free of "name value."

The only commercial consideration is in the editor's choice of the stories he feels are best and most suited for NEMO's pages, applying his standard of acceptability so as not to alienate readers who take the chance.

I guess a nuclear-level explosion would be a volume in which every author decides to remain anonymous forever. The ultimate demolition of expectation as well as the most secret of societies - a brotherhood which exists in obscurity even to themselves - and their editor? An absolute embrace of the nemo, for every author is a nobody who does not fear being a nobody.

Following on from all the above, the next step would somehow be to arrange the stories themselves to choose themselves for publication. Impossible, of course. But my frame of mind when I read the stories during the Nemonymous submission period is to optimise this possibility as far as possible, and it's definitely *more* possible than if the stories were by-lined. It's a strange experience reading for Nemo - almost out of body!

BTW, I notice that the new Elastic Press anthology ELASTIC BOOK OF MUSIC is to have all the stories chosen by the editor whilst they are still anonymous to him (but will be published with by-lines).

Heady days (especially as Nemo 5 has just been launched, too).
des

des
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 09:13 am:   

Hmmm... I wonder...

Here are some claims about this Demolition book:

Its boundary-smashing fiction offers exhilarating proof that for an artist, withholding your identity can mean gaining your freedom.

What would you write if no one knew who you were?

In the spirit of the demolition derby, where drivers take heedless risks with reckless abandon, welcome to the first convocation of the Secret Society of Demolition Writers. Here is a one-of-a-kind collection by famous authors writing anonymously–and dangerously. With the usual concerns about reputations and renown cast aside, these twelve daredevils have each contributed an extreme, no-holds-barred unsigned story, each shining as brightly and urgently as hazard lights.

I've never claimed the above aspect (of the ability to write something different or dangerous) for NEMONYMOUS. I'm more of the mind that if stories are late-labelled they are then more akin to the labelling of most other arts. Only writers are heavily labelled up front and, often, throughout the art itself.
I think writers are at a disadvantage, as a result.
des

des
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 04:30 am:   

'throughout the art itself' above means on the top of every other page: as 'DF Lewis' is incredibly printed on the top of every other page in 'WEIRDMONGER' (400 pages)!
des

des lewis
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 09:04 am:   

A simple story:
http://weirdmonger.blog-city.com/a_knight_at_the_opera__too_many_heroes.htm

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register