Nemonymous Five Stories Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Nemonymous Five Stories « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   

I have now heard from all parties returning their contracts for the 12 stories I originally accepted. In the order in which they shall appear in Nemo~5:

The Robot & The Octopus
Driving In Circles
Running Away To Join The Town
Solid Gold
The Hills Are Alive
Huntin' Season
Well Tempered
The Scariest Story I Know
Soul Stains
New Science
George The Baker
Grandma's Two Watches.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the enormous number of great stories I was privileged to read in an 'unlabelled' state. An experience only available to myself, I guess!

Many stories I truly agonised over and I feel terrible I had to reject them.
des

des
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 09:34 am:   

Someone has just pointed out elsewhere that the title of this thread is a sort of obverse side of the coin of the Famous Five (Nemonymous Five?) stories.
Very apt, it turns out, as I brought myself up in the Nineteen Fifties towards today's tautly tuned muscles of reading/writing of which I boast ... by Enid Blyton books!
des

des
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 10:00 am:   

You will be pleased to hear (I hope!) that Nemonymous Five today entered the first phase in its production process.
des

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 06:29 pm:   

Ah! Polishing the staples, eh?

des
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:21 am:   

There never have been and never will be any staples (polished or not) in Nemonymous, mate!
des

des
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:34 am:   

Hey, just spotted this from a nemo5 author with initiative!
I had no idea...!!

http://tinyurl.com/c7fgz

Bravo!
des

des
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 07:03 am:   

Big News.---------------------
Nemo 5 has arrived!

It's absolutely gorgeous and has even exceeded my highest expectations.

It will not be distributed until during the first few weeks in August, its official launch date being the middle of that month.
Everything you need to know here:
http://www.nemonymous.com

You will regret delaying!

Nemonymous Five Stories:

The Robot & The Octopus
Driving In Circles
Running Away To Join The Town
Solid Gold
George The Baker
The Hills Are Alive
Huntin' Season
Well Tempered
The Scariest Story I Know
New Science
Soul Stains
Grandma's Two Watches

des
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 10:16 am:   

The look of Nemo 5 reminds me of something? Hmmm...

des
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 06:06 am:   

Nemonymous Five is now officially launched and quite a few people should have already received a copy.
Please write to bfitzworth@yahoo.co.uk for details.

The first story in NEMONYMOUS FIVE starts: Sit down and shut up!
Indeed, it is advised that the reader consumes the whole book silently in one sitting, in the order printed -- not worrying too much if any particular story doesn’t, at first, truly cling. This will ensure the whole reading experience will be devastatingly memorable for the rest of your life.

des

des
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 04:44 am:   

Anyone need a review copy, please write to me at bfitzworth@yahoo.co.uk

des
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:42 am:   

Already had one comment on Nemo 5 from a reader:

I read Soul Stains again last night at the pace it deserves, and I must say I like what the author's doing. It's by far the best piece in the book {in my opinion). Though I will also say there's a few others I need to look back into.

I'm appreciating more and more the namelessness Des. As well as making the book a whole almost interconnecting thing, it really does bring each story out on its own.

des
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 02:26 am:   

And another just received!

Received Nemonymous 5 this morning, itself a wonderful work of art, and I just read the first two brilliant stories in the garden -- both superb, will read the others later today/tomorrow.

des
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 02:02 am:   

Just had below from a customer. Which stirs me to ask a question to anyone in USA who has received Nemo 5 (or when they do eventually receive it). Below is from a British customer. The design of Nemo 5 is, as you can gather from what he says, *based* on a classic archetypal design that all Britons should recognise. Does it equally work in USA?

Thanks for Nemo Five, a real suprise. I think the Memo book concept has worked brilliantly, the best ideas are simple and this has the combination of simplicity and wit. I love it! It seems to reflect the anonymous theme. The colour looks spot on, it's deep in my subconscious, so much so that last night when I needed to make some notes while working I automatically reached for it. This is true!

I like the headings on the last three pages, might help some people if at first they don't get it, the final heading adds a sinister note. Something that works though it shouldn't do is starting two stories without seeing their titles (pages 19 and 47) until you turn the pages. This breaks all the rules of typography and layout but because it's nemo it's ok.

I can honestly say that the more I look at it the more I like it, no idea what the stories are like but just as an artefact it has a strange hypnotic power.

des
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 03:08 am:   

Afterthought just received from same customer:

It's just come to me that Nemo 5 has that Phil Dickian quality, an object that is not what it seems. It reminds me of my most memorable moment as a science fiction reader when in Time Out of Joint the soft drinks stand dissolves and Ragle Gumm is left with a card bearing the words 'SOFT DRINKS STAND'.

des
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   

Another comment on the cover just in from another customer:

Outstanding, Des. This is pop art. This is like Claus Oldenberg and his big soft electrical plugs. I shall try it in different positions all over the house. I'm now *very* pleased that I restrained myself from reading other folks' cover comments until I'd seen this beauty.
It's left me with a deep and delighted smile.

des
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 10:05 am:   

This is not an 'official' review of the Nemo 5 contents (rather than of its cover) but the first real treatment of its stories and it happens to be from an ordinary reader:

Another big big Thank You for your Desnonymous gift...

Have now completed my reading sitting in the garden in sunshine. As the shadows lengthened so will the memory of this exceptional volume. But needless to say, another powerful experience full of bright moments and deep darkness. And, as always with the Nemo experience, something definitely in-between.

And so to the Nemo Book. And, indeed, it *is* a Memo Book of imagined memories.

At first, I even thought some of the stories themselves would go unnamed as the title waited around the corner on the next page. Nemonclature indeed. And how apt your first quotation, for Nemo Five is alive with the sound of children: selfish children, baby demon cheesy children, neutered children (or, at least, well tempered) and children left with a dream of Jovian time. And those children who run away and search for home or just for their parents.

It's also a book of misplaced deaths. By which I mean folk who are unaware they have passed into the dark veil, death resembling life so much nowadays it seems.

A book too of octopi and dark carnivals and illustrated skin. And indeed the kibbutzniks have more than a passing resemblance to the New Martians as they peer into the reflection of a crop circle. I sense impish conjurement, dear Des.

There are unexpected endings and endings that slip delightfully into their planned framework. "Solid Gold" (more childhood echoes, but only through the selfishness of the main character) concluded on a pristine bedroom carpet amidst oil stains. More stains (but this time of the soul) dried-up unexpectedly in that airy room above the pounding waves; the action hitherto being virtually microscopic (or the size of a pinhead).

And some stories semaphored sweetly their intent: George left his bakery in search, not of childhood, but of an actual child. Will he ever come back to sort out the annoying farm labourer? Such tiny niggles leave a big impression. And we all knew that flaming January would come to grief with her tutor and his spectacularless beard in "Well Tempered". Lovely. Perfect.

Some stories rose and rose while others manoeuvred about their small chosen terrain. "Huntin' Season" just got louder and louder: mad, brilliant, the author trying to out-do her/himself at every paragraph. Why not? Whereas "The Scariest Story I Know" was bathed in dark grey with night light points of luminescence. Effortlessly deep. And certainly the scariest story *I* know.

The urgent sinuous rhythm of the whole is testament to yourself, Des. But if I was to isolate a single note I might mention "The Hills are Alive". Just an English ghost story perhaps, with the ending revealed before the story has barely begun. But then there's the snow globe that seemed to come out of nowhere. And the concept of actually being part of a painting as you're painting something completely different. Mirrors on mirrors. And didn't "Don't Look Now" deal with children and death and death in life and the borders where everything meets?

des
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 12:21 am:   

There has been a review of nemo 5 in the London 'Time Out' magazine which includes:

"...switching between the Pan Book of Horror Stories and one of HP Lovecraft's wordier collections."

des

Buy Nemo at PROJECT PULP (with flashing covers!)

des
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 01:00 am:   

A recent exchange on another Nemonymous message board:

"I was surprised to see Nemo briefly reviewed in last week's 'Time Out'. The reviewer praised the concept of the cover design which I also thought was superb.
I've not finished reading all the stories yet but I was initially impressed by The Robot & The Octopus with its hilarious scenario and portentous ending and Running Away To Join The Town - a beautifully written story that was also quite horrific. Huntin' Season made my flesh creep (I felt genuinely quesy after reading it).
Well Tempered was the kind of subtle, elliptic story I love. The Scariest Story I Know was also a wonderfully involving story which keeps the reader guessing. More comments later..."

then from someone else:

"I guessed who wrote Running Away To Join The Town immediately. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my old copy of TTA that features the magnificent tale The Last Paladin of Idle Deceit."

++++

Buy Nemo at PROJECT PULP (with flashing covers!)

des
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

Disgusting? Brand new review of Nemo 5 here

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/nemo5.htm

includes: "I'm mentioning 'Hunting season' only to tell that, although I'm well used to gore and splatter, I found it absolutely disgusting."

des

des
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 08:35 am:   

And Nemo 5 is currently No 2 in the Project Pulp bestsellers:
http://projectpulp.com/bestsellers.asp
des

des
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:41 am:   

Just got this from a reader:

"It's a crazy project, but I think it's importance (brilliance?) might only be realised in the future, as a body of work rather than individual books. Certainly seeing them on Project Pulp together - plus the realisation that every Nemo is very different to all the others - made a difference. Something for the budding MA students there!"

nemonymous@hotmail.com
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   

NEW NEMO 5 REVIEW

http://www.laurahird.com/newreview/nemonymous.html

nemonymous@hotmail.com
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:19 am:   

Another Nemo 5 review

http://www.ligotti.net/viewtopic.php?p=2893

des
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   

Eraserhead? Another Nemo 5 review:

http://www.ookami.co.uk/html/nemonymous__5.html

- mentions one story that "is quite possibly the closest to Eraserhead you could get in the short form."

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:22 am:   

Could you please tell any BFS members you know that I am offering Nemo 5 ITSELF free and freely delivered to any BFS member who needs to read it before voting. Not a Word Doc, but the magazine itself. All they need do is contact me at nemonymous@hotmail.com

Anyone at all who earlier *bought* a Nemo 5 will be able to claim both Nemo 6 & 7 for free.

The complete list for nemonymous five is as follows:

BFS story recommendations:
THE SCARIEST STORY I KNOW by Scott Edelman
DRIVING IN CIRCLES by Iain Rowan
WELL TEMPERED by Neil Williamson
HUNTIN' SEASON by Monica O'Rourke

Another BFS recommendation:
Best Small Press: NEMONYMOUS

Ellen Datlow Honourable Mentions for Year's Best Fantasy & Horror:
DRIVING IN CIRCLES - Iain Rowan
WELL TEMPERED - Neil Williamson
SOUL STAINS - Robyn Alezanders
NEW SCIENCE - Gary McMahon

des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register