Blank Story Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Blank Story « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   

Someone's pinched the blank story from Nemonymous~2 !

http://tinyurl.com/6rdy8

Simon Owens
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 07:41 pm:   

It's not like it was super original. It's been done in multiple art forms, including music, where a person walks up to a piano, sits down at it and waits for several minutes before getting up and bowing to the audience and walking off the stage.

I highly recommend Dave Eggers' collection. I'm not exactly part of the Dave Eggers cult, but I do enjoy his work.

des
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   

Well, I don't think anyone had done a blank story in an anthology before Nemo~2 (who'd want to do so!) - but, you're right, Simon, it was partly a tribute to music, i.e. John Cage's "Four Minutes Thirty Three Seconds" whence the title of the story.
Someone has reminded me that I have never before 'denemonised' the blank story, and so it's my story when it suits me to claim it as my story! But when I'm involved in an argument about editors including their own work in anthologies (I'm against editors doing this) -- then I deny it is a story at all, let alone a story by anyone else. In fact, if I didn't believe in the Intentional Fallacy, I'd say the intention of the blank "Four Minutes Thirty Three Seconds" was artwork - to illustrate work in Nemo~2, especially Antony Mann's MIGHTY FINE DAYS and X's THE VANISHING LIFE AND FILMS OF EMMANUEL ESCOBADA...
...as the blank cover of Nemo~4 was to illustrate Dominy Clements' THE PAINTER. What do I know?
des

Simon Owens
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 08:38 am:   

Well, if it makes you feel any better, just about every book review I've read of Dave Eggers' How We Are Hungry: Stories has criticized him for doing the blank page as being too gimmicky, so if he did steal it from you, he's being punished for it :-)

overall though, the reviews are mostly positive of the book as a whole.

des
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 08:50 am:   

Yes, thanks, Simon, my E-quip above was a means to advertise his book by giving a link to the review. The whole book seems just up my street.
des

EricS
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 09:46 am:   

Next someone will, I suppose, have to put together a collection of blank stories...

des
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   

And call the book SPACE STORIES, Eric?

Good job for writers I always offer a set lump sum per story rather than per word!

des

des
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:01 am:   

Submissions to SPACE STORIES are on the same financial terms and to the same email address as shown for the Bespoke Nemonymous here:
http://www.nemonymous.com
A later deadline, however, to be decided, as I wouldn't want to rush anyone.
des

des
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 04:59 am:   

'Press Release'. Wording from http://www.nemonymous.com :

The call for submissions of blank fiction stories for a new publication SPACE STORIES was issued 1st April. No story titles, only by-lines. Any length between the equivalent average space of 500 to 5500 words. Deadline undecided. No anonymous submissions for SPACE STORIES.

des
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 05:59 am:   

I've now decided to make story titles optional.

I hope to be able to persuade Dave Eggers to let me reprint his already published blank story, and I would also like to reprint '4' 33"' from Nemonymous2, otherwise it will be open to anyone, big names and friendly middle-sized names alike.
des

Max W
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 06:31 am:   

Although it appears that you will consider stories that have previously appeared in other venues, it's not clear from your guidelines if multiple submissions will be allowed.

Please elaborate. Thanks.

Shelly Cooper
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 06:33 am:   

Any restrictions on theme? I'm expecting you will get a lot of science fiction stories with an anthology title like that, but I was thinking on working on something a little bit closer to home.

Jamie Higgs
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 06:35 am:   

Hey this ish will be a great reflector for when I am getting a moon tan in my lounge chair. Can't wait.

des
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 06:58 am:   

Thanks. As I'm currently getting queries on this from all quarters, I'm continually updating the website to take them into account.
des

des
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:30 am:   

Any posts on this thread without the date 1st April are ultra vires
des

des
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 08:59 am:   

Appropriate to this thread, I have been informed of this wordless novel:
http://www2.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-07/14/content_460176.htm

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register