Nemonymous Four (part 3) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Nemonymous Four (part 3) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 01:01 am:   

I did think the cover (that was my first design ever for a cover) looked rather fetching on Mike's review on Alien Online. On-ward and up-ward...
Nobody seems to have any comments about writers commenting about a review whilst still nemonymous. I think writers should comment more on reviews of their own work. I don't think there is much mileage in the gritted teeth approach that we're all told is best.
des

des
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 02:35 am:   

A reader's comments shown below re 'polarity' in reviews of Nemo (i.e. comments to the publicly open Nemonymous Discussion Forum on Yahoogroups).
des

Paying submission guidelines: http://www.nemonymous.com

I think it's true - the stories have sparked notably diverse reactions.

'Generous Furniture' really annoyed me - couldn't see the merit of it at all, yet I've read very positive reviews elswehere on this newsgroup.

'The Painter' was my absolute favourite, but I enjoyed 'The Frog's Pool' very much... At Allen Ashley's booklaunch, I asked him if he wrote it... - but of course he denied all knowledge!

des
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 01:59 pm:   

I am very pleased to announce that the following five stories from the multi-genre NEMONYMOUS FOUR will be given ‘honourable mentions’ in the ‘Horror’ section of the next YEAR’S BEST FANTASY AND HORROR:

Apologising To The Concrete
Creek Man
The Death Knell
Determining The Extent
My Burglar

neil a
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 05:15 am:   

Congratulations, Des, and to the contributors (whoever you are).

Jamie
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 08:40 am:   

Interesting, none of those would have been my choices.

Just shows the high quality and variety of Nemo!

weirdmonger
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:05 am:   

Exciting new review here:
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/nemo4.htm

And a wonderful reproduction of the cover.

des
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 04:02 am:   

Last Tango In Paris.
Review on Infinity Plus (see above) says Nemo 4 is the 'sexiest' yet.
In honour of this, last night I watched 'Last Tango In Paris' on BBC4 TV, having never watched it before. It struck me as the ultimate nemonymous film, dealing with a Contract of Anonymity...
Any thooughts?
Just received these interesting comments below (on stories in all 4 Nemo issues) from a new reader (in Canada), i.e. comments given to the Nemonymous Discussion Forum:

"I am pleased to report they entertained me mightily and are worth every penny (and certainly more!) that I paid.
My experience as a reader was interesting. I hadn't expected the nemonymity to have much of an effect on my reading experience, but I was surprised to discover this was not the case! Though unencumbered by their by-lines, the stories seemed weightier. Perhaps being 'authorless' gave them a mythic quality...like an oral tale handed down for generations. I certainly don't call myself a reviewer of any qualified kind, but if I may, here are my thoughts on some of the stories:

Nemo #1:
'The Idiot Whistled Dead'--my favourite. Achingly beautiful. Perfect.
'With Arms Outstretched'--wicked, funny tale.
'Double Zero for Emptiness'--hmmm...this one I'm unsure of. I can apprectiate a story that leaves me wondering if I admire it or am offended by it. Or both. This is one of those stories. It's well done.

Nemo #2:
'Berenice's Journal'--this left me wanting to take in that poor creature. Make her a cup of tea and put her on my dental plan.
'Nothing'--Grief made wholly believeable. Loved it.
'The Assistant to Dr. Jacob'--this one I'm not sure about. Very disturbing and well done, though. It'll likely grow on me. Though hopefully not in the manner of the good doctor's botanical interests.

Nemo #3:
'The Small Miracle'--lovely tale. What a heroic, clever fellow! 'Chemo'--this was my favourite. The honesty and reality of the situation made it truly Horrific. Unsentimental and moving. (I notice the author frequents the board here--so: thank you, sir!)
'In the Steam Room'--liked this one a great deal.

Nemo #4:
'The Rorschach-Interpreter'--very good. The security guard's rules of conduct cracked me up. I had to take a breadk. Honestly, I giggle every time I think of it.
'The Frog's Pool'--I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to find out who wrote it. 'Leaves Like Hearts'--I found the protagonist difficult to like, but the beauty and imagery and interesting characters made the story very satisfying as a whole.
'Embrace'--enjoyed it a lot.
'Creek Man'--this one has stayed with me the most. Like Berenice, I wanted him to come home with me...give him a bath and a good meal. Unless I was his meal of choice, of course. I'd take that risk. Maybe I could hook him up with Berenice.

So thanks Des, and Authors for supplying some very good reading. I look forward to Nemo #5."

des
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 07:59 am:   

Probably the last major review of Nemonymous~4 before I start revealing the names on Veils&Piques in January.
You can find the review here:

http://vanderworld.blogspot.com/2004/12/nemonymous-4-review.html

i.e: on Jeff VanderMeer's Blog: a review written by Neddal Ayad who is Blog-Sitting for Jeff during the next couple of weeks.
des

JV
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 08:13 am:   

Neddal is not nemonymous, but he is blogonymous.

Jeff

des
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 09:37 am:   

Blogonymous is a wonderful word! I have about twenty blogs republishing my stuff from the old days. des

des
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 09:57 am:   

Just received this from a Nemo #4 reader:

"Rather like Popeye Doyle careering along beneath that elevated railway, I succeeded in *just* keep pace with your unveiling of the Nemo 4 authors. In fact, if the truth be told, I had to hang onto myself and resist opening all of your revelations until I'd got through to the end.

There wasn't a story that didn't drag me in and enjoin me to be a part of it, Des. How do you do it? The titles mentioned below are merely those tales that stay with me, a week or two after reading...

So, for what it's worth, some thumbnails:

"Determining the Extent" was like being impaled on a compass: a perfect stilleto.

"The Death Knell" took everything in both hands and jumped - brave and superb.

"The Frog's Pool" was dry, dry...

"The Painter" had a deep, deep beauty.

I loved "The Rorschach-Interpreter": that's the sort of world I'd enjoy living in.

"Like a Slow Motion War" is the story I shall enjoy re-reading the most.

"Sexy Beast" was divine.

"Vole Mountain" was an ache, an obsession, something wholly superb.

Almost But Not Quite Dept.: I wanted to love "Maledict Michela" but it was just a bit too eager. "Creek Man" was almost an invisible story, its shades maybe just a touch too muted. I've read recently of one commentator who thought the background sections weakened the otherwise excellent "My Burglar": I'm inclined to agree.

That's it, Des, and thank you. My world always seems to turn a touch after surfacing from the Nemonymous ocean. And it has done again."

des
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 01:54 am:   

New review of Nemo4 here:

http://www.laurahird.com/newreview/smallpressroundup3.html

It contains the words: "Speculative fiction, magic realism and realism appear side by side. Anyone interested in imaginative writing and characters on the edges of society are advised to get a copy of this magazine. ‘Nemonymous’ is one of the best UK magazines, and like ‘Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet’ straddles the genre and literary worlds effortlessly, showing that such categories are confining and ultimately redundant in the face of good writing."

After the BFS kindly included my Nemo4 free offer in their latest news round robin to members, I've not had one take up of this offer (ie. for members to consider Nemo4 and its individual stories for the 'other' slots on the BFS awards voting paper). Perhaps they all have a copy.
Or perhaps it's because I can't even give them away now! :-(

Nemo5 is just going to press.
Des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register