Nemonymous Part Three Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Nemonymous Part Three « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Des
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:00 am:   

Just to keep you informed, in the last few days, I've had the privilege of checking straight through the typeset version of Nemo~3. It is as if the 20 authors of the 21 brand new stories that make up this megazanthus have been working behind my back all this time to create this unbelievable cohesion of fiction. Trust me, it will be the f***ing bee's knees and I take no credit for it. Des

Des
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:16 am:   

Special offers.
In preparation for the impending launch of Nemonymous Part Three, I am making special offers allowing new customers to obtain (as easily and painlessly as possible) the smart-liveried and critically acclaimed first two Parts of this ever-growing Megazanthus of short fiction ... including all the stories that have hit public nerves and would optimise any collection of essential fiction. Please contact nemonymous@hotmail.com for details and please tell others to do so. Thanks.
Des

Des
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 03:21 am:   

Nemonymous Part Three is now available. Even exceeded my own expectations! Very very excited.
Please enquire at:
nemonymous@hotmail.com
Please put 'Nemo 3' in subject line.
Thanks, Des

Des
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 03:35 am:   

Anyone want to review Nemo~3?
Please contact dflewis48@hotmail.com with 'nemo 3' in subject line.

Des
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:52 am:   

Prize!!
The first person who tells me (here on this thread) the title of which story in Nemonymous Part Three is the very first fiction publication of a writer who has otherwise had much published in a particular non-fiction field -- and also which field of non-fiction (or the nearest to that field, as judged by myself) -- will win an author-signed copy of 'Non-Stop' by Brian Aldiss.
Des

Des
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 12:20 am:   

Please do not post here about above competition. It has been changed slighty - see 'Prizes' thread on this Board. Thanks. Des

Des
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 07:55 am:   

Readers' comments are now starting to come in on the brand new Nemonymous Part Three -- and here below are some extracts from the five sets of comments I posted on Veils&Piques today. For the full comments please see:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veils_and_piques/
Des

"Congratulations on Nemonymous # 3! As with the previous 2 volumes, the production values are high, the unsual shape and format helping to create a unique and ambiguous zone, somewhere between book and magazine, in which an incredible diversity of tales can breathe and which any reader with an interest in strange fiction will enjoy being."

"Firstly, congratulations on Nemonymous! I've been tracking reviews and comments since its launch but was not prepared for the brilliance that fell through my letterbox the other day. You should be very proud of your achievement. Nemonymous is sweetened by its concept, but the fiction within, the design, the quality of the whole production is inspiring...."

"Nemonymous lives up to its reputation; a little bit different, a little infuriating, and a good showcase for really strange tales. It certainly provokes a reaction."

"Received Nemonymous 3, and just finished a few minutes ago 'mobile, phone' - powerful and brilliant. I'm taking a few deep gulps of air now, ready to descend, to continue the voyage."

"It always takes a while for these things to percolate and marinate, but I can say straight off that it's a distinctive collection. 'Quirky' is a word that comes to mind, but that doesn't do justice to the profundity and beauty that's also to be found."

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 08:46 am:   

I just finished Nemo #3 last night, and have to say again what a cool thing you've done, Des. The stories are top notch, and fit in the overall megazanthus wonderfully. As always, I'm tempted to play the "match the author" game, though the ToC for volume 2 had me almost completely wrong. "The Bluest of Grey Skies" feels like another attempt by Rhys Hughes to emulate Italo Calvino, in its closer similarity to "The Man Who Shouted Teresa" than his previous contribution, "Climbing the Tallest Tree in the World". Though someone else could have written this way to throw me off further. There are a number of stories I liked quite a lot, among them "The Rest of Larry", which managed to be hilarious and disgusting at the same time, and "Gerald and the Soul Doctor", which was so surreal and wonderfully written that I started looking more closely at loose change left on the ground. Bravo encore.

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:16 am:   

I don't think that was Rhys. Although of course I could be wrong. But I've managed to avoid playing the guessing game, for the most part. . .

Michael Kelly
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:04 am:   

Des,

I've also finally had a chance to read Nemo 3. Lots of good stuff in there. My personal favorite had to be "Genie". Very evocative and emotive, that one. Other stories that stood out include "Otterwise", "The Small Miracle", "Twilight Music", "Chemo", and "The Place Where Lost Things Go". And all the rest of the pieces were interesting, as well. Taken as a whole, it is a strange, bewitching amalgam you've stitched together. Quite a heady brew. Bravo to all the fine authors!

-Mike

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:27 pm:   

"Genie" was my personal favourite, too. Beyond that, I think I'd better save my comments for the review I'm writing, to save myself some embarassment in case I change my mind between now and then.

Des
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 11:33 am:   

"Thanks for Nemo 3. The best so far in my opinion.
What a beautiful looking publication Nemonymous is. It exudes class and refinement and just the look and feel of it promises delights and wonders. So let's venture in.
As before, I found myself on a journey. That is the main feel of all three Nenomynous journals. There is a theme, one story, no matter how different in style and direct content, blending into the next. And please, as with all reviews, this is very subjective, so any negative comment is only my reaction to reading the story."

The beginning of a reader's substantial review written specifically for Veils & Piques (received a few minutes ago). To join V&P and read the rest of it and other reviews etc. please see www.nemonymous.com

And thanks to those who have actually commented about Nemo~3 on this thread.
Des

Des
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 09:07 am:   

I would like to thank Andrew Hook for writing a review of Nemonymous~3 in The Fix~7 (and thanks also to Andy Cox (www.ttapress.com) for publishing it). I can't reproduce it here as it is in a print outlet, so please buy it! As far as the stories are concerned, it is a mixed review, the reviewer liking some very much and criticising quite a few others. The review ends with these words:
"And finally, the issue ends where it started. A short, mood piece with an intriguing premise. Where is `The Place Where Lost Things Go?' Some of them end up in `Nemonymous'."
The review also comments on the anonymity angle and hopefully the whole review will evoke some discussion at the new forum here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nemonymous/
(Which also shows the guidelines for Nemonymous~4).

Frag Ed
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 07:00 am:   

There's a review of Nemonymous~3 and an interview with Des in the very first issue of Fragment Magazine, now downloadable for free in PDF format!

Nem Ed
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   

Thanks, Frag Ed. I shall be making a full announcement of this and other factors regarding Nemonymous and DFL on Veils & Piques shortly.

nemo
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 08:41 am:   

A kind person has sent me a photocopy of a Nemo~3 Review in All Hallows #33.
It seems rather a good one. It begins and ends like this:

"Now here's a funny thing -- a magazine (or, if you like, a 'megazanthus') of short fiction that doesn't tell you who wrote the stories. Or who the editor is. Or who designed the rather spiffing cover."

"So what is 'nemonymous' about? It's a well-presented, entertaining, and eclectic forum for the shorter story, and deserves to succeed. Those who enjoy more traditional ghostly tales might look askance at some pieces, but there's enough worthwhile stuff here to satisfy anyone who likes good writing. The editor is, of course, anonymous, but s/he has here created what might properly be termed a Des Res for the discerning reader."

A shame the review keeps the Nemo website address anonymous (!), so nobody knows where to look for ordering details.

Meanwhile, Nemo~4 submission guidelines here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nemonymous/
plus a chance to join a Nemo forum to discuss, praise, complain, ignore etc.

nemo
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 09:20 am:   

Actually, the reviewer in All hallows (mentioned above) is rather enthusiastic about the stories and says so in each case. Really pleased.

And re my previous announcement:

"Coincidentally, two website magazines have emerged in recent days and they both carry interviews about Nemonymous.
One is on:
http://www.fragmentmagazine.co.uk/
which also has a review of Nemo~3.

The other interview is on:
http://www.metastatic-whatnot.com/1/namedropping.html
which should soon carry a new photo of myself (in Amsterdam)!"

The latter now has that photo in situ! Be warned! ;-)

des
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:35 am:   

I am pleased to report that the following 7 stories from Nemonymous~3 are to be Honourably Mentioned in the next Year's Best Fantasy & Horror:

Practice
Gerald and The Soul Doctor
The Ballerina
Shark In A Foggy Sea
Mobile, Phone
Sleeping Beauty
Chemo

And the artwork/design of Nemo~3 will also be highlighted.

Des

des
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:06 am:   

The words below are from one of the authors who has just been 'denemonised' on Veils & Piques as having appeared in Nemonymous~3 (an author with two stories - both originally accepted after one story was submitted in the author's own name and the other anonymously!):

"No writer need fear being consigned to anonymity by publication in `Nemonymous' it's actually a much more rewarding experience than appearing in many conventional magazines because a community has been created around it providing discussion and feedback and we get to see all the reviews. I think your name probably gets more attention, ultimately, rather than less."

des
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:45 am:   

The Asimovs review of Nemonymous~3 is now linkable here:
http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0401/onbooks.shtml

des
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:16 am:   

I am pleased to report two more YBFH #17 Honourable Mentions for stories in Nemo~3:

A Small Miracle by Rhys Hughes
Digging For Adults by D. Harlan Wilson

in addition to those below already announced:

Practice by Jeff Holland
Gerald And The Soul Doctor by David J Brown
The Ballerina by Lavie Tidhar
Shark In A Foggy Sea by Colin Hains
Mobile, Phone by Brian Howell
The Sleeping Beauty by Tom Williams
Chemo by Terry Gates-Grimwood

des

Jamie
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:42 pm:   

Wow.

I should think few periodicals (megazanthine or otherwise) have such a high percentage of their stories garner HMs.

Jetse
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:37 pm:   

I concur with Jamie: it's almost 50%.

And to think that one of my absolute favorites: "Insanity over Creamer's Field" by Joe Murphy did not get one.

des
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:44 pm:   

Yes, you're right, Jetse, Creamer's ... and Genie ... and Lost Things ... and Anon's Emmanuel Escobada in Nemo2 and ... and ....

des

des
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 08:07 am:   

I wonder if 9 HMs is a world record for any single volume?

Jerry Wright
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 09:51 am:   

I'm really proud that "Digging for Adults" first reached the light of day in our little webzine Bewildering Stories

We've changed a lot since those early days, too.

Wilson's story is at http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue3/digging.html

--Jerry

ellen
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:31 am:   

Des, not to burst your bubble but I'm afraid it's not a record. I've given more then 9 HM for a number of anthologies so if Nemonymous is considered an anthology (which I do, rather than a magazine).

des
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:55 am:   

Thanks, Ellen. That'll be something to work for in the future! ;-)
des
http://www.nemonymous.com

des
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 12:47 am:   

A new review of this earlier anthology:

Nemo 3:
http://www.wordonymous.freewebspace.com/

des

des
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   

A new detailed review of Nemonymous Three posted at the top of this page:
http://wordonymous.freewebspace.com/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register