The Impermanence of the Web Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » The Impermanence of the Web « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:25 am:   

I heard from an old friend of mine today (regarding my frighteningly massive project of re-publishing all 1500 DFL stories 1986-99 (except those in the Weirdmonger book) on the Web here:
http://weirdmonger.blogdrive.com/
He said:

"I hope you are not relying on it being preserved for posterity on the world-wide web. I read a brilliant article the other day by Bruce Sterling, sf writer and IT expert. He points out that the rate of change in pc operating systems and storage media is so great and the quantity of information being generated is so huge that not only can it not be archived but present day documents will be unreadable within a relatively short time.
If you want anything preserved for the future make sure you print out hard copies! Books produced 200 years go are still readable but relatively recent electronic storage systems are already extinct."

My response is that it's great fun - and I have no illusions about the impermanence of the web. I've always argued that case, when people have seen publishing fiction etc. on the web as equivalent to print publishing. The web is impermanent, frighteningly so- full stop.

My project is really a Sixties-type 'happening' - to prove that very point of impermanence! And to provide philanthropic free entertainment (*if* my stories are entertainment in the first place!). And to provide publicity for 'Nemonymous' and 'Weirdmonger'. Re the latter I hear that the hardback version is almost sold out.

Des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register