Nemonymous Two Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Nemonymous Two « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nemonymous
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:07 am:   

A brand new review of Nemonymous *Two* (the 2nd review on the page):

http://hem.passagen.se/alxnys/tqe/thequick.html

which says: "The only *story* I did not like was 'Four Minutes Thirty-Three Seconds', which is five blank pages, and only comes across as wasted space, or a bad joke."

Nemonymous
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:43 am:   

"The only *story* I did not like was 'Four Minutes Thirty-Three Seconds', which is five blank pages, and only comes across as wasted space, or a bad joke."

Just received this from someone in answer to my Veils & Piques version of the above message:

...my comments on 'Four Minutes Thirty-Three Seconds': on a physical level it was 5 white-coloured pages and a title given on the first page. Since there were no words, you could only "look" at the 'story'. A story without words? Yes, it appears so; but can you see the shadows from your hands when you turn the pages, or from the pages themselves as they are turned? The story in essence, presented what is absent when there are no words on a page; i.e. space and shadow (and smell too). It's clever piece of modern art that negated the essence of a story, and is neither wasted space or a bad joke.

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:48 pm:   

I wonder how many people got the John Cage title?

I'm reminded of the similar track "You Can Make Your Own Music", on Covenant's United States of Mind cd. Maybe the owners of Nemo2 should write their own story in the pages of 4'33" -- thus making each a "limited edition" of one. :-)

(That being said, after the 3rd cd purchased with a titled track of naught but silence -- VNV Nation's "Schweigeminute", the aforementioned Covenant track, and Lassigue Bendthaus's 'cover' of Cage -- I find it more and more annoying whenever a band pulls that stunt. Don't know anyone else who's done it in literature, though, so kudos Des.)

Alex
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 03:28 pm:   

Hi everyone! I'm Alex, and I wrote that review. Maybe I just didn't get the 'artsy' deal with FM33S, but still, one has to stretch one's mind pretty far to come to such a conclusion. However, this makes for an interesting re-reading of the story.

Jamie
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 07:06 pm:   

Hi, Alex.

I think the thing to understand about that explanation is that "Four Minutes and Thirty-Three Seconds" is the title of an old composition by John Cage in which the performer sits at a piano for that period of time, not playing anything -- the performance is the ambient sounds of the area, whatever they should be: fans whirring, audience members coughing, programmes being crumpled, etc.

I think it works better in an auditory medium than in the textual one, because the gulf between text and shadows on the page is much broader than between different types of sounds.

Nemonymous
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:48 pm:   

I've always upheld the principles of 'The Intentional Fallacy' - so with a pinch of salt I will inform you that the editor of Nemo~2 has been claiming elsewhere that his intention was to create artwork for the two stories 'Emmanuel Escobada' and 'Mighty Fine Days' - and the 4 and half blank pages were simply that. The tribute to Cage heading for those blank pages probably stems from his crazy passion for modern 'classical' music!

des
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 08:54 am:   

Wow. I just finished Nemonymous 2, and the third-to-last story is about tea. There's a red-headed Canadian named Frank in the trenches of WW1, who is called mother by his trenchmates because of his affectation for drinking tea. Then it is discovered that his tea will heal a deadly wound instantly, as long as the person is still alive. Then he runs out of tea, using the last of it to save the life of an enemy German soldier. The second-to-last story is about a young girl hanging herself in the snow, and the last story, "Four Minutes Thirty-Three Seconds", is five blank pages. What a great magazine!

Just found above on Internet here:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/12/9/165121/594
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register