Quotations prefiguring Nemonymity Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Quotations prefiguring Nemonymity « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 08:54 am:   

Cocteau on seeing Proust's corpse, with the MS of A la Recherche piled on the mantlepiece: 'That pile of paper on his left was still alive,like watches ticking on the wrists of dead soldiers.'

We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to Cyclopean and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever.
---H.P. Lovecraft

Consider the synonyms of the word nameless. All are as disturbing as themselves. What are they? I won't say, because most are still unidentified, unspecified, anonymous, unlabelled, undesignated, untagged, unspeakable, unutterable, inexpressible, unmentionable, indescribable and simply not right to talk about.
-- Rhys Hughes (from 'Stories From A Lost Anthology')

For, whether a painter...introduces bits of ready-made chromos alongside his handiwork, or whether another, working directly with light and chemistry, so deforms the subject as almost to hide the identity of the original...the ensuing *violation* of the medium employed is the most perfect assurance of the author's convictions."
--Man Ray ('The Age of Light' 1934)

“Now, all art which has only two dimensions, that of the work and that of the spectator, can create only a platitude, since it is no more than the capture of a shopwindow spectacle by a painter-voyeur. Depth is born only at the moment the spectacle slowly turns it shadow toward man and begins to look at him.”
Roland Barthes

“Hanging in the Dutch museums are works by a minor master who may be as deserving of literary renown as vermeer. Saenredam painted neither faces nor objects, but chiefly vacant church interiors, reduced the the beige and innocuous unction of butterscotch ice cream. These churches, where there is nothing to be seen but expanses of wood and white-washed plaster, are irremediably unpeopled, and this negation goes much further than the destruction of idols. Never has nothingness been so confident.”
From ‘The World as Object” Roland Barthes.

"It's like the question of the `Iliad' … the author of that poem is either Homer or, if not Homer, somebody else of the same name."
Aldous Huxley.

"It would be sacrilege to put a name there – it would be like putting a name on the universe ... at most I am only a mouthpiece."
Walt Whitman referring to `Leaves of Grass', which he initially published anonymously.

“Then I came back from where I’d been.
My room, it looked the same –
But there was nothing left between
The Nameless and the Name.”
Leonard Cohen

If it is true that the sea was once upon a time our native element, in which we must plunge our blood to recover our strength, it is the same with oblivion, with mental nothingness....
The names which designate things correspond invariably to an intellectual notion, alien to our true impressions, and compelling us to eliminate from them everything that is not in keeping with that notion.
-- Marcel Proust (two quotes from Within A Budding Grove)

there are many more. des
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:18 am:   

Fresh from the Nemozanthus here: www.nemonymous.com

"To set one's name to a work gives no one a title to be remembered, for who knows how many of the best of men have gone without a trace". W.G.Sebald

"A man will say: I am cold. Or else he will say nothing, and we will see him shivering. Either way, we will know that he is cold. But what of the man who says nothing and does not shiver?"
from Paul Auster's 'Portrait of an Invisible Man.'

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register