Shared Universes (previously Submissi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Nemonymous » Shared Universes (previously Submissions/Guidelines) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Des
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 11:27 am:   

That all seems to make sense, JK, and I'm glad it's been thrashed out here -- because, with my original guidelines, I evidently (and in hindsight) was treading on areas (however blurred the boundaries and pre-planned the concept) that I should never have trod so carelessly -- with various extenuating circumstances and apologies outlined above. I'm going to start a new thread here called 'Shared Universes' to continue this one (making this post its start) as this thread is getting too long. The thread may have shot its bolt, anyway, and if it's already run its course, so be it.
But a side-issue that has struck me - what if someone started another magazine called Nemonymous - could I do anything about it? A mag using all my ideas? Not that anyone would want to do so!!
I'm sure there are other side-issues...
Des

Des
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 11:32 am:   

Sorry, the thread title should be 'Shared Universe's (previously Submissions/Orders). It seemed originally, somehow, to spread from my initial announcement on Orders as well as Guidelines! Des

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:30 am:   

Des:

You should be able to copyright or even trademark Nemonymous, since it is something you are using to sell goods to the public. You'd have to find out for sure.

Nathan: I'm not surprised that Harlan did that (even if it's an urban legend) but some of Harlan's titles are so evocative, they're almost the first line of the story sometimes.

JK

Des
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:57 am:   

Thanks, JK. I don't think I've got anything to worry about anyway with safeguarding 'Nemonymous' from the ravening hordes who'd like to use it! In fact, at one stage, I was offering sponsorship money (still offering, in fact) for authors using the word 'nemonymous' anywhere in the text of their fiction. Only two people have so far taken this up.

Back to the general point of 'shared universes' -- I suspect it is hard to create anything new at all, because influences are manifold and ungaugeable, both conscious and sub-consicous. Many of the Jungian persuasion would also say that (or brainstorm that) we are all filters for the Collective Unconscious but some of us are better filterers (communicators) than others, i.e. in communicating the wealth of archetypal material (from Unconscious to Conscious existence), material that belongs to the commune called the human mind.

Neil A
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:33 am:   

John,

"Use your own ideas." Made me smile. Thanks for that.

Des,

now we have a Describtionary Description of Nemonymous, perhaps you'll see more authors using it in their fiction ;)

Des
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 01:52 pm:   

I hope so. Words are shared universes.

As is music? Composers, performers, conductor, audience - interpretation, ambience/acoustics of venue, mood of everyone involved, extraneous noises etc....

Each performance ofa score is a new piece of music.
Des

Neil A
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 06:45 am:   

Hi Des,

Have you heard about this book, Q, written under a false name by a leftwing Italian collective? Thought it might interest you:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/firstbook2003/story/0,13840,1030782,00.html

Des
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 07:52 am:   

Thanks, Neil - that is very thought-provoking. I have collaborated in pairs and groups for ten years or more (involving up to 30 writers - some 'famous', some not).
I've found it very enjoyable, if not anything beyond that (though many of the collaborations have been published here and there over the years). I think Nemonymous (despite my 'shared universe' false start), however, is something quite different from collaboration, though the resultant serendipitous 'gestalt' of the anonymous stand-alone stories (by several writers independently) in a particular issue do, I feel, give the flavour of that.
Des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register