An introductory comment by me...Jack ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Dann, Jack » An introductory comment by me...Jack Dann « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jackdann
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 07:25 pm:   

This feels like the old GEnie days when I had a forum. Was fun. I have a website at:
www.eidolon.net/jack_dann
if anybody wants to check me out.

Although these things seem pretentious to me, here's my 'professional' bio:

=====================
ACK DANN is a multiple award winning author who has written or edited over sixty books, including the groundbreaking novels Junction, Starhiker, The Man Who Melted, The Memory Cathedral—which is an international bestseller, the Civil War novel The Silent, and the recently published Bad Medicine, which has been compared to the works of Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson and called “the best road novel since the Easy Rider days.”

Dann’s work has been compared to Jorge Luis Borges, Roald Dahl, Lewis Carroll, Castaneda, J. G. Ballard, Mark Twain, and Philip K. Dick. Philip K. Dick, author of the stories from which the films Blade Runner and Total Recall were made, wrote that “Junction is where Ursula Le Guin’s Lathe of Heaven and Tony Boucher’s ‘The Quest for Saint Aquin’ meet...and yet it’s an entirely new novel.... I may very well be basing some of my future work on Junction.” Best selling author Marion Zimmer Bradley called Starhiker “a superb book...it will not give up all its delights, all its perfections, on one reading.”

Library Journal has called Dann “...a true poet who can create pictures with a few perfect words.” Roger Zelazny thought he was a reality magician and Best Sellers has said that “Jack Dann is a mind-warlock whose magicks will confound, disorient, shock, and delight.” The Washington Post Book World compared his novel The Man Who Melted with Ingmar Bergman’s film The Seventh Seal.

His short stories have appeared in Omni and Playboy and other major magazines and anthologies. He is the editor of the anthology Wandering Stars, one of the most acclaimed American anthologies of the 1970’s, and several other well-known anthologies such as More Wandering Stars. Wandering Stars and More Wandering Stars have just been reprinted in the U. S. Dann also edits the multi-volume Magic Tales series with Gardner Dozois and is a consulting editor TOR Books.

He is a recipient of the Nebula Award, the Australian Aurealis Award (twice), the Ditmar Award (three times), the World Fantasy Award, and the Premios Gilgamés de Narrativa Fantastica award. Dann has also been honoured by the Mark Twain Society (Esteemed Knight).

High Steel, a novel co-authored with Jack C. Haldeman II, was published in 1993 by TOR Books. Critic John Clute called it “a predator...a cat with blazing eyes gorging on the good meat of genre. It is most highly recommended.” A sequel entitled Ghost Dance is in progress.

Dann’s major historical novel about Leonardo da Vinci—entitled The Memory Cathedral—was first published by Bantam Books in December 1995 to rave reviews. It has been published in ten languages to date. It won the Australian Aurealis Award in 1997, was #1 on The Age bestseller list, and a story based on the novel was awarded the Nebula Award. The Memory Cathedral was also shortlisted for the Audio Book of the Year, which was part of the 1998 Braille & Talking Book Library Awards.

Morgan Llwelyn called The Memory Cathedral “a book to cherish, a validation of the novelist’s art and fully worthy of its extraordinary subject.” The San Francisco Chronicle called it “A grand accomplishment,” Kirkus Reviews thought it was “An impressive accomplishment,” and True Review said, “Read this important novel, be challenged by it; you literally haven’t seen anything like it.”

Dann’s novel about the American Civil War, The Silent, has been published by Bantam in the U. S., Lübbe in Germany, and HarperCollins in Australia. Library Journal chose it as one of their ‘Hot Picks’ and wrote: “This is narrative storytelling at its best—so highly charged emotionally as to constitute a kind of poetry from hell. Most emphatically recommended.” Peter Straub said “This tale of America’s greatest trauma is full of mystery, wonder, and the kind of narrative inventiveness that makes other novelists want to hide under the bed.” And The Australian called it “an extraordinary achievement.”

His novel Bad Medicine (titled Counting Coup in its U. S.), a contemporary road novel, which has already been called “a vivid and compelling vision-quest through the dark back roads and blue highways of the American soul.”

Dann is also the co-editor (with Janeen Webb) of the groundbreaking Australian anthology Dreaming Down-Under, which Peter Goldsworthy has called “the biggest, boldest, most controversial collection of original fiction ever published in Australia.” It has won Australia’s Ditmar Award and is the first Australian book ever to win the prestigious World Fantasy Award.

Dann’s most recent book is the retrospective short story collection Jubilee: the Essential Jack Dann. The West Australian said it was “Sometimes frightening, sometimes funny, erudite, inventive, beautifully written and always intriguing. Jubilee is a celebration of the talent of a remarkable storyteller.”

Dann’s latest novel-in-progress, Second Chance, is about James Dean. It will be published by Avon/HarperCollins Books.

As part of its Bibliographies of Modern Authors Series, The Borgo Press has published an annotated bibliography & guide entitled The Work of Jack Dann. Dann is also listed in Contemporary Authors and the Contemporary Authors Autobiography Series; The International Authors and Writers Who’s Who; Personalities of America; Men of Achievement; Who’s Who in Writers, Editors, and Poets, United States and Canada; Dictionary of International Biography; the Directory of Distinguished Americans; Outstanding Writers of the 20th Century; and Who’s Who in the World.

Dann lives in Australia on a farm overlooking the sea and ‘commutes’ back and forth to Los Angeles and New York.

=====================

I've just finished a big horror/dark fantasy anthology with Dennis Etchison and Ramsey Campbell called GATHERING THE BONES, which will be published in England, the US, and Australia. It's all original; each author bought stories from the country he's living in. Incidentally, I'm an expat New Yorker (from Binghamton, New York, actually), and I've been living in Australia for over ten years. We have a place in Melbourne, but I spent most of my time on a farm that overlooks the sea. I still feel like I'm living in a postcard!

Trying to finish a huge novel called SECOND CHANCE, working title, about the life of James Dean =after= his death. HarperCollins will publish the book in the US and Australia.

Other stuff that's just out is JUBILEE, my retrospective short story collection. That's from TOR, and was originally published by HarperCollins in Australia. Another collection called VISITATIONS will be out in the next few months from Thorndike Press.

Stories and other anthologies, but I won't run on any longer.

Cheers!

--JACK

Jim Van Pelt
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 09:04 pm:   

Hi Jack.

That is quite a resume!

It's good to see you have a chat board.

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 02:16 am:   

Jack, good to see you here. Only had the chance for very brief interactions at...was it WorldCon or WFC? They all sort of blur into one another.
You probably are sitting there saying who the hell is this guy? But then you would be more likely to know me in my other incarnation as that ex-pat Aussie, James Hartley.

Hope you're having fun with the big book!

Jack Dann
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:53 pm:   

Jim, I didn't know what the procedure should be--figure people know you, or do a pretentious resume. Being a pretentious sort of a guy <grin>, I opted for the resume, figuring people probably wouldn't know.

Jay, indeed, people do seem to blur one into another at conventions. There's so many over time, and the little glasses of scotch do mount up. Good to be in touch in the aether.

Sheik Omar
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:20 pm:   

Dann is also, apparently, a member of the Self-Promotion Hall Of Fame.

Harvey Jacobs
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 09:37 am:   

Reading your frightening resume I was reminded of a class taught by Delmore Schwartz, the poet and novelist who wrote In Dreams Begin Responsibilities among other classics. Delmore tended to communicate through a mix of body language and grunts, all articulate. When a student said she was intimidated thinking about the huge amount of work accomplished by the literary stars from the vantage of her place, crouched at the starting line of her career, Delmore began naming writers and gesturing with his hands held apart at various distances. He didn't say a word. I realzed that what he was doing was demonstrating the shelf space taken up by the works of the authors he named presumably trying to tell the young writer that not even Shakespeare's total production exceeded Delmore's short arm span. Of course, he didn't know about you or Mike Moorcock in those days! Keep 'em coming, Jokko! Best, Harvey Jacobs

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:16 pm:   

Hi Jack and everyone else --hey Harvey! I'm back from London, a day later than I'd expected.
Ellen

Jack Dann
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 08:29 pm:   

Sheik: Yeah, that's always the problem when you upload a resume. I was afraid it could turn people off, but I figured it would let people know what I'd done. After all, I'm not exactly a household name. <grin> So sorry if it was offensive.

Great story, Harvey. What are =you= working on. Your stuff knocks me out!

Ellen, just e-mailed you. xxoo

Deborah Layne
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:18 pm:   

Um, Jack. I hate to mention this since somebody gave you a little tiny bit of a hard time about, well, that long resume. And I don't want to appear to be promoting my own self interest, but, um, you do have a wonderful story coming out in Polyphony 2 in April that didn't get mentioned above.

Everybody should look for Jack's story!

Deborah

LeslieWhat
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:38 pm:   

Okay, so we know a little bit about ACK DANN, but what has JACK DANN done lately?

(Hi, Jack!)

Leslie

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:07 pm:   

Hey Leslie - don't knock Ack. He's one of my best pals.

J

Jack Dann
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:48 am:   

Ah, so they're all knocking Ack. <grin>

Deborah, I was just being reticent about mentioning the story until we had contracts...but...

The story is a novella called "Rings Around the Moon" and it's about the young Elvis meeting James Dean.

As everyone knows, I'm oh so shy.

Hi, Leslie. What am I doing now. Finishing a huge alternate history novel about the abovementioned James Dean. Gearing up to do a novel expansion of "The Diamond Pit". And another called BEING GATSBY. (Yes, I got on a 20's Fitzgerald kick. Go figure.

Whatever...I guess I'm cookin'.

Hey, Jonathan. xxoo

Cheers!

--JACK

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:40 pm:   

Hey Jack

I think Deborah may have been referring to your other wonderful story "The Hanging", which will appear in Polyphony 2, rather than the at least equally wonderful "Rings Around the Moon", which I imagine will be in Polyphony 3.

Best
J

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:52 am:   

Yes, Jonathan, that's what I was talking about. Jack, we did the contract dance on that one, right?
Tell me I'm not _that_ forgetful.

:-)

Deborah

Kealan Patrick Burke
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:14 am:   

Jack:

I have an anthology invite for you but no contact info. If you think you might have the time and the desire, can you drop me a line at elderlemon2003@aol.com?

Thanks you.

Kealan Patrick Burke

Jack Dann
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:11 pm:   

Dear Jonathan and Deborah,

This is what happens when I go online in the wee hours when my mind is a bit syrupy from working all day/night.

Deborah, Jonathan is exactly right; I was confusing the stories. Indeed, we did contract for "The Hanging," and I've been paid and am a very happy author. <grin>

So mea culpa, Deborah--it's difficult to type while falling on a miscellany of swords.

I should mention that I'm =very= pleased to have "The Hanging" come out in Polyphony. It's a story that's very close to the bone. If I've done it right, it should cause the gentle readers some discomfort. It's not autobiographical, but it's close.

Kealan...I'll e- mail you right now.

Cheers!

--JACK

Kealan Patrick Burke
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:32 am:   

Thank you kindly!

Best,

Kealan

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 09:09 am:   

Dear Ack --
Any relation to a great Harvey Jacobs story from decades ago called THE EGG OF THE ACK?
Or something like that.

Stan freedman
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 06:03 pm:   

I've been searching for one of Dann's short stories, "Jumping the Road" and keep hitting a dead end.
I believe it was published in Asamov's Sci. Fi. MAg of October, 92.
Would really appreciate where I could find it.
It inspired an illustrator, Jainschligg , to draw a pic. for it.
Any info appreciated.
Stan

Jack Dann
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:44 pm:   

Hi, everyone. I should be writing, but...ain't it great to have discussion groups? Much more fun than actually...er, writing. <grin>

Hey, Keith, my brother. Okay, enough of that. Always a test. Now we know that Harvey didn't title it "Egg of the Ack". You just put a thumbprint on the last word, which was (any takers?) Glack!

Kealen...my pleasure!

Stan, you can find "Jumping the Road" in my retrospective collection JUBILEE, which was published in Australia by HarperCollins and is now out from TOR Books.

You're close regarding the illustrator, Jainschligg. Here is the real story: Jainschligg, a wonderful illustrator, loved my collection WANDERING STARS, and it inspired an illustration. Gardner Dozois, editor of Asimov's wanted to use the illustration, and he asked me if I would write a story to go with it. Thus, "Jumping the Road" became an Asimov cover story.

Cheers!

--JACK

Lucius
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:19 pm:   

Hi, Jack...
just peeking in...

Lucius

Jack Dann
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:06 pm:   

Hey, Lucius,

Would be great to hang out. Once I finish this mega-bug-crusher of a novel, I'm planning on getting to the States.

xxoo

--JACK

Michael Bishop
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:18 am:   

Dear Jack,

If you get down to Georgia, give me a call. Heck, if you get within 500 miles, let us know. I, too, would love to see you again.

Yours,

Mike

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 07:11 am:   

And don't forget NYC Jack!

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:00 am:   

So I'm listening to Handel and "All We Like Sheep" comes up and I kept wondering, now that the Spice Girls have been with you for a while, if All You (or Ewe) Still Like Sheep.

Sorry for the shear foolishness of this post, but wool you be a lamb and let us know how the kids are doing?

sheepishly,
Keith

Jac Dann
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 05:42 am:   

Dear Michael,

I'd love to see you. Man, it's been a long time, hey?

Ellen, I'll let you know when I'm coming into town. You're always the first to know!

Ah...Keith. Now I'd better explain. My partner Janeen Webb named our sheep (we have a small farm)The Spice Girls. You sound like you're in a tres silly mood, buddy. Good!

xxoo

--JACK

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:55 am:   

Jack -- you goat!

You must be working hard to have missed the chance to say Baaaaah to my words.

Or maybe you're just more subtle than that.

Naaaah.

xs and os to you too.
Keith

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:09 pm:   

Hi Jack,
I miss you --I'll be at the ICFA tomorrow afternoon. I'm in Boynton Bch now with my folks till tomorrow.

Jack Dann
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:47 pm:   

Keith--Well, everyone knows I'm subtle and oh so sophisticated. So...Baaaaah! <grin>

xxoo

Hi, Ellen. Florida sounds like fun. Enjoy the weather, sun and surf, my pal. I hope to get to the States this year. Missing you!!

xxoo

--JACK

Ellen
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 01:36 pm:   

Just got back and boy was in humid. Had a good time despite everyone studiously ignoring the start of the war as much as possible.

Saw lots of good folks down there: Jim Patrick Kelly, John Kessel, Greg Frost, Tim Sullivan (who lives in Miami now), John and Judith Clute, the Haldemans, Liz Hand, Kathy Goonan, Ellen Klages (I roomed with the latter two), Brian Aldiss, Rob Holdstock, Suzy McKee Charnas, Quin Yarbro, etc etc. Also met ST Joshi for the first time officially and was astonished by his niceness.

Stanley Freedman
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:41 pm:   

I've heard that Jack wrote "Jumping the Road" after seeing a painting that moved him.

Have any of you ever heard that?

Thanks.
Stan

Stan Freedman
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:47 pm:   

PLEASE ignore last message !!
Thanks for the response; I just found it above.

Robert Hoge
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 09:19 pm:   

And Jack, don't forget being one of the inaugural tutors at Clarion South!

- Robert

Jack Dann
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 12:20 am:   

Hey, Ellen, sounds like a great party. I'm jealous.

Robert, I won't easily forget being one of the inaugural tutors at Clarion South...there's a lot of buzz about it Down Under.

Just to get the word out, I've got a new collection...called VISITATIONS. In hardcover from Five Star Press.

Cheers, all!

--JACK

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 07:44 am:   

Jack,
Please get them to send me a review copy...
Is there anything new in it? (I mean original to the collection).

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:09 pm:   

Jack returning to the south?

The man who tried to order a bagel with a shmear at 3 in the morning in deep Georgia?

Welcome home, Mister Mullet.
Keith

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:30 pm:   

Keith,
I think it's South-- as in Australia :-)I sure hope they'll invite me some time ...

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 03:52 pm:   

Ellen -

I think it's actually South, as in Far North Queensland somewhere. And I'm sure they'd happily invite you if the program gets past the first year. On VISITATIONS - I saw an early ToC and it was all reprint fiction.

- Jonathan

Robert Hoge
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 04:39 pm:   

Ellen,

It's in Brisbane, Australia. Running January/February next year with a traditional six-week Clarion format.

First year tutors are David G. Hartwell, Nalo Hopkinson, Terry Dowling, Lucy Sussex, Kim Wilkins and that other guy, what's his name... Jack someone. :-) We like the idea of bringing important genre editors down under.

We're also encouraging overseas applicants but - understandably - all of our applications so far have been from Aussies. We don't close applications until July so it would be nice to get some near-neighbour applicants and possibly one or two from the US, which might be economical given the exchange rate.

Check it out at: www.clarionsouth.org or shoot me an e-mail if you want more details (I'm one of the co-convenors).

- Robert

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 04:50 pm:   

OH -- that South.

He really did try to order a bagel in deep Georgia in the middle of the night.

And at Dreamland, the original in Tuscaloosa, with the original pit and most of the original grease stains and barbecue aromas of sixty years still present, he took one bite of a rib and announced to the (befuddlement of)the entire place: "I'm a HAPPY Jew!"

Thass mah boy.
Keith

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 05:15 pm:   

Hi Jonathan,
THanks.

And thanks for the info Robert--I'd love to be asked to teach. I've taught Clarion West three times now and Clarion East once (a weekend thing, although now I gather they keep the editors longer--which makes more sense).

Keith,
Never been to Tuscaloosa--I love barbecue and hope to have a bunch in Kansas while I'm at ConQuest over Memorial Day weekend.
Oooh boy. He's lucky that he just got befuddlement :-)

Jack Dann
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 05:44 am:   

Hi, Ellen. No original stories in VISITATIONS. 'll get Five Star to send you a review copy.

The TOC is as follows:

INTRODUCTION: BURNING SPEAR: THE WORK OF JACK
DANN by Barry N. Malzberg
VISITORS
REUNION
THE GLASS CASKET
NIGHT VISIONS
TIMETIPPING
A COLD DAY IN THE MESOZOIC
VAPORS
BLIND EYE
BETWEEN THE WINDOWS OF THE SEA
THE DYBBUK DOLLS
TING-A-LING
COUNTING COUP
I’M WITH YOU IN ROCKLAND
AMNESIA

Hey, Keith...well, actually, Clarion South is way up North, where it's hot and there are spiders as big as our heads. (Actually, I caught one here at the farm. Almost all spiders in Australia are poisonous, but there is a species called Huntsmen, which aren't. But, man, those suckers are big. He was too big to trap in a glass. I had to use a =bowl=. (And I've got arachnophobia!)

So what's wrong with ordering a bagel in Georgia? Remember the waitress who didn't know how to make me a cup of tea. I had to explain about teabags. Sigh... Now that was about 4am in the backblocks. Ah, what a trip!

Hi, Jonathan. Great talking with you on the phone, buddy. Ellen, I do think they'll invite you. It would be a real feather in their cap to have you!

Hey, Robert...it's good to be the other guy. <grin>

Oh, God, Keith is always telling stories out of school, but I've got to tell you that if you want the best ribs in the entire universie, you've got to go to Dreamland. It ain't pretty, but, man, is it good. Hey, Keith, I'll let the cat out of the bag, as you already know that SECOND CHANCE is dedicated to you, but here's the dedication, since you had to mention Dreamland:

For Keith Ferrell

Could we ever forget Mr. Mullet…

or the savory delights of Dreamland?

Don't ask =me= about Mr. Mullet. Ask...Keith!

(And I was a happy Jew!)

Cheers, pals,

--JACK

Ellen
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 07:47 am:   

Jack,
THanks for asking Five Star to send me the book. Btw, there's a brief mention of the collection in Publisher's Weekly and they mistakenly say it's your first collection in more than 20 years--and that is most cetainly wrong with Jubilee just recently out over here. You'd better make sure that's not what's on the Visitations book jacket (otherwise, where'd they get that info?)

Jack Dann
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 03:18 am:   

Dear Ellen,

Actually, alas, that is where they got the information. I just received the jackets and a copy of the book, and the copywriter mistakenly called it my first collection in 20 years. JUBILEE takes that honor, if such is the proper word. <grin>

I got word from Five Star that they're sending you a copy, so you should have it soon.

xxoo

--JACK

Ellen
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 07:40 am:   

Oh well. Mistakes happen in publishing.

Thank you for asking them to send me the copy.

Jack Dann
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 04:52 am:   

Let me know when you receive the collection.

Happy Pesach!

xxoo

--JACK

Ellen
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 06:58 am:   

Will do. I'm off to the Nebula weekend in an hour or so.

Jack Dann
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2003 - 10:04 pm:   

Dear Ellen,

Say hi to the gang for me. Wish I were there...

xxoo

Ellen
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 06:49 pm:   

You were mentioned in passing :-) flatteringly..Ask Susan Casper.

Jack Dann
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 03:46 pm:   

Dear Ellen,

I'll ask Susan.

xxoo

--JACK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration