Hi, Grandpa! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Dann, Jack » Hi, Grandpa! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cadigan, Pat
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:09 am:   

I hope you've been taking your medication!

Love,

The Goddess

jackdann
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:38 am:   

Ah, how I miss you, beautiful Goddess.

Yes, I'm taking my medicine, and I've made an oath never again to stand at the bottom of a subway stairwell during rush hour and call all the lemmings...lemmings.

How's by you, kiddo?

xxoo

--JACK

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:57 pm:   

You two gotta stop talkin so dooorrty in this public place.

How's a guy spozed to get any work done?

smoochy

Keith

JackDann
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:43 am:   

Hey, Keith,

Back from the States. Too bad we couldn't get together. The Goddess and I =always= talk durty!

xxoo

--JACK

Michael Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:26 am:   

Hey, what's this grandpa business? Details! Details!

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 08:24 am:   

Hey Mike --
My take on the the grandpa business is based on harrowing and unforgettable personal experience, and has to do with the fact that Jack while dining on the road -- as I learned over and over and OVER during over fifteen days and 3800 (sic!) miles across the southeast with him in my pickup -- prefers, and in truth is really only able to manage, Farina, Postum, Melba Toast (gummed, not bitten, never chewed,)strained vegetables, prune juice (frequent stops to dispose of same; nearly as frequent stops to replenish his Depends) and other commestibles and consumables that are suited for, well, a man who could BE my grandpa.

Others doubtless have different versions of the grandpa story, but THEY were not with Jack at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa (the real one) when he gummed his first bite of real ribs and announced at the top of his voice to an astonished clientele and staff, "I'm a HAPPY Jew!" True -- there is a cook there who will never forget...

Or, at three in the morning at a Mr. Omelette (whose sign he read as Mr. Mullet, leading him to mumble over and over and OVER, "Fish? A nice piece of fish is good! Brain food, fish, they say. Don't they?") in Lenoir North Carolina where he asked for a "bagel with shmear" and tried to describe it to an uncomprehending waitress. As with her Tuscaloosa peer, she will long remember and doubtless never forget...

Or the Books A Million in Roanoke, Va, which store we entered to check the racking of his THE SILENT and my PASSING JUDGMENT, Jack leaving me, as ever, to do the work while he took (his inevitable) ten-at-night advantage of their facilities, emerged at 10:30, gave me the high-sign to high-tail, he having done damage to their plumbing that to this day I shudder to think of and whose perpetrator the store's management (not to mention the EPA) still seeks...

Or -- no.

Enough. It was enough, actually, after 38 miles, much less 38 HUNDRED, but what can you do when you love a guy, even an OLD guy like Jack, as much as I love him? In for an inch, in for almost four thousand unforgettable miles with an aged, aging man who insisted before each public appearance/bookstore visit/BaltiCon on stopping, re-adhering his teeth, having ME trim the tusk-hairs from his ears and nostrils, adjust his truss(es)and powder his liver spots.

Not a lot to ask, and in retrospect, when I can bear it, my contribution to eldercare.

Others, as noted, have other versions of the appelation, and it would be of undoubted benefit to history were a dedicated "Why Jack Is Everyone's Favorite Grandpa" thread started.

affections,

Keith, who late last night took a break from the nearly delivered new novel to re-read in an old Asimov's the still-young and vigorous(unlike Jack) Cri de Couer.

Mike
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 05:40 am:   

Okay, maybe not that many details. Guess I was thinking in terms of progeny, not age-related doddering.

Cheers to everyone on this thread, though.

JackDann
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 04:46 am:   

Dear Keith,

Ah, does that make me nostalgic, and, hey, the James Dean novel (THE REBEL) that's dedicated to you and Mr. Mullet and Dreamland will be out from Morrow in August!

I miss you!!!

Hi, Mike,

Don't believe any of those stories Keith is telling you about me...now, the reason that the beautiful goddess/temptress Pat Cadigan calls me Grandpa is because many years ago we were in a subway together during rush hour. As we were standing in the station and waiting for our train, a huge crowd of commuters came down the stairs. It was this huge wave of suited up humanity, and I don't know what got into me, but I couldn't help myself. I stood in front of the commuters, my arms outstretched, and shouted, "Hello, lemmings!"

Pat, sensing that my life (and hers) was now in danger, pulled me out of the way, and explained that I was her senile grandfather, and that I didn't know where I was, who I was, etc.

So, the lovely Pat Cadigan saved me from myself.

Be well and happy holidays, my pals!

--JACK

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 05:49 am:   

Great story, Jack. Speaking of great stories, I'm reading "Rings Around the Moon" in Polyphony 3, about halfway through the section called "Jimmy" (for James Dean), and enjoying it immensely. Forgive me if I've gotten the title a little wrong; my copy is downstairs as I type these words. In any event, I love the way you get Elvis down, and I'm dying to find out what "Satnin" means, if ever I do. (Should probably have waited to write this encomium until I finished reading, but what the heck.)

All the best,

Mike

Keith Ferrell
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 05:53 am:   

Mike --

Ack (sic) is of course correct about the actual source of the title... as Patricia is the source of so many things.

But my stories, all true, all TOO true, were intended to show how Jack has taken the title to heart and put it to work.

Keith

jackdann
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 05:18 am:   

Dear Mike,

I should check this site more often. I just wrote a message and the damn thing blinked out into the aether. Sigh. Thanks for your good words about "Rings Around the Moon." There will be more stories appearing that center around James Dean and the 60's. And the novel, which is now titled THE REBEL: An Imagined Life of James Dean. I'm just finishing off the copyedit.

Keith, stop it! <grin>

Cheers,

--JACK

Nick Gevers
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 - 11:10 pm:   

Dear Jack,

Nick Gevers here--I recently read POLYPHONY 3, and will soon be reviewing it. I very much liked "Rings Around the Moon", and was wondering: are "Rings" and "Ting-a-Ling" outtakes from THE REBEL, or more in the nature of spinoff tales, in the manner of "Da Vinci Rising" from THE MEMORY CATHEDRAL?

JACK DANN
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:15 pm:   

Dear Nick,

Sorry this is late...I should check this site more often. Sigh...

"Ting-a-Ling" is in THE REBEL. "Rings" is not. I wrote an enormous amount of material about Dean and company, and I'm turning them into a sequence of stories that fits into the same universe as THE REBEL.

Cheers!

--JACK

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration