Lan to Bound for St. Louis, Missouri Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Kang, Minsoo » Lan to Bound for St. Louis, Missouri « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Minsoo Kang
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:35 pm:   

I've recently accepted an assistant professor position at the history department at the University of Missouri, St. Louis. I've already had a brief visit to the city for my job talk and the place looked very nice, and I'll be going back in late June or in July to look for an apartment there. So for anyone who is in St. Louis or familiar with the city, I would appreciate any advice on what I should be looking for, good things to do there, eat there (Korean restaurants hopefully), and things to watch out for. St. Louis bound am I! St. Louis!

EricS
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:37 am:   

They have a great botanical garden and a fun sculpture garden...although I haven't been to either for over a decade.

Minsoo Kang
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 01:17 pm:   

Thanks Eric. I'll be sure to check them out if they are still there. You didn't happen to see any Korean restaurants while you were there, did you? The sight of a Korean suffering from long-term kimchi deprivation is a sad and horrible sight to behold.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 10:55 am:   

Well, I live at the other end of the State of Missouri in Kansas City, but I can recommend heading down to the St. Charles Historic District, which is a part of the St. Louis Metropolitan area. There are a number of first class dining establishments and a brewpub. They have a riverfront park which used to (don't know if it still does) play host to an annual American Civil War Reenactment Camp every Labor Day weekend.

That being said, as a historian you may find some of the "history" at such events to be suspect. I know I did, even though I used to participate in them.

I don't know St. Louis well enough to recommend any Korean restaurants. My experience with kimchi was not a positive one (just a bit TOO spicy). However, there are bound to be places in St. Louis.

Pretty lively city overall. I do, however, recommend staying out of East St. Louis, which is on the Illnois side unless you still have your ROK Army issue body armor. It is a bit hairy down there.

Final thing about the Riverfront park in St. Charlies. It is the starting point for the Katy Trail, an old rail line converted to a walking/biking trail. It stretches from St. Charles halfway across the state to end in Sedalia. It has always been my intention to hike the whole trail someday.

Liked your story about the American who wondered why he was being called a Yankee by the way.

Might also roust about the net to find a guy named Rich Horton, who can be found lurking around these forums. He writes reviews for Locus and lives in Webster Groves(?) which is near St. Louis. He could probably tell you a great deal about the town.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
http://sfmurphy.journalspace.com

rwexler
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 04:47 pm:   

Try Citysearch. Here's what I found (very long link; if it doesn't work, go to citysearch.com, find Missouri, then St. Louis).

http://stlouis.citysearch.com/search?lat=386272&long=-901970&miles=&c_zip=&init_ search=1&context=restaurants_bars&cslink=cs_topbar_search&started=1&query=Korean &x=0&y=0&constrained=on

Robert

Minsoo Kang
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 10:06 pm:   

Thanks a lot Steven and Robert!
Well, what do you know! No less than four Korean restaurants in St. Louis. Looks like I'm saved from the horrors of kimchi deprivation! And I thought I might have to resort to that awful watered-down crap from Japan that they sell in supermarkets. As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't fight back in your mouth, it ain't kimchi.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register