Advice on Publishing Please Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Kang, Minsoo » Advice on Publishing Please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Minsoo Kang
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:43 am:   

I just realized that this board is frequented by so many published authors and people in publishing that I thought I'd ask all of your advice on trying to get my novel published. After I was discharged from the Korean army in '97, I wrote a literary novel set in contemporary Korea, with some details about the military experience. When I got back to the US, I thought a lot of people would be interested in reading it since Korea's been in the news a lot. And I did all the standard things - made sure the manuscript was ready and in the right format, sent out query letters and sample chapters to dozens of literary agents and a few smaller presses. But after almost two years, no takers, despite additional efforts by friends to help. Since I'm not one of those idiots who ask feedback on the manuscripts from friends and relatives who's going to be nice to them (I deliberately picked the most critical people with impeccable literary credentials who have no stake in sparing my feelings), I think the novel works, and that a lot of people in the US would find a novel set in today's Korea interesting. I know that there are very small presses that I could go to, but I feel that a big publisher could pick it up if only I could get it to the right people. So any advice? Any connections? Any interest in the novel? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register