The Descent of Inanna Released Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Valente, Catherynne M. » The Descent of Inanna Released « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

catherynne
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:10 am:   

An absolutely stunning edition of my adaptation of The Descent of Inanna is now available--The book itself is a work of amazing art, bound by hand with a cover painting by Aria Nadii.

The Descent of Inanna

Hal Duncan very kindly reviewed it on his blog:

"Valente's version is rich as the earth; you can smell the dirt under the fingernails, taste the rotting leaves in the mouth...she's updated the poetic technique, and "translated" the ancient ritualistic (and highly repetitious) poem into an idiom that makes sense to a modern reader, without trivialising, without exchanging the strange, rotted flavour of the original for too-contemporary banalities."

(Obviously, if anyone else wishes to, reviewing or linking to it on your blog is highly appreciated, as this is a small press endeavor and can use all the help it can get. Contact Papaveria Press or I for a review pdf.)

This is a very limited edition--only 50 copies were made and they were already selling before any announcements were made, so if you want one, I would recommend snapping it up now. The first 10 copies are signed, numbered, and come with an audio CD of me reading the entire work.

In addition, I'm donating 15% of my royalties right back to the Global Fund for Women, the charity who benefitted from the writing of this poem during last year's Blogathon.

The next book in the series will be Sita, out on the summer solstice. For more about the full series, Descent, go <a href="http://www.papaveria.com/descent.html">here.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration