The Orphan's Tales Ready for Pre-Orde... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Valente, Catherynne M. » The Orphan's Tales Ready for Pre-Order! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

catherynne
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 01:51 pm:   

Despite undergoing a slight title change, the first volume of my series of fairy tales from Bantam Spectra, In the Night-Garden, which will be illustrated by the phenomenal Michael Kaluta, is now available for pre-order on Amazon.

It's release date is Halloween, 2006, so reserve a copy early!

And if you were ever scared off or put off by the fact that my other books were a little on the surreal and, well, batshit crazy side, have no fear--this, as they say, is not that. Linguistically whimsical? Sure, but not hallucenogenic. There is actual, and complex, plot. Also zombies and girls with three breasts. Go forth to Amazon without fear. This is as accessible as I am likely to get.

Secreted away in a garden, a strange and lonely girl spins stories to warm a curious prince – peculiar feats and unspeakable fates that loop through each other and back over again to meet in the tapestry woven by her voice. And what stories she tells! Tales of shapeshifting witches and wild horsewomen, heron kings and beast princesses, snake-gods, dog-monks, and living stars—each story more strange and fantastic than the one that came before. From ill-tempered “mermaid” to fastidious Beast, nothing is ever quite what it seems in these ever-shifting tales, even and especially, their teller. Adorned with illustrations by the legendary Michael Kaluta, Valente’s enchanting lyrical fantasy offers a breathtaking reinvention of the untold myths and dark fairy tales that shape our dreams. And just when you think you’ve come to the end you realize the adventure has only begun…

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 07:32 am:   

Quite frankly – yes, I've been put off by your "surreal and, well, batshit crazy side." But this sounds great!

Kristen McFallon
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 05:23 pm:   

This book is absolutely out-of-this-world. I happened to get my hands on an advance reading copy, and I am blown away. I am exactly halfway through the book and seriously debating not going to work tomorrow in order to finish it. I have never read any of your other books, but I definitely plan to. The story is unlike anything I have ever read before -- and I read a lot -- and I really can't think of any other way to put it except to say this is probably one of the best fantasy books I have read. Ever.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration