Yume no Hon: The Book of Dreams Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Valente, Catherynne M. » Yume no Hon: The Book of Dreams « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

catherynne
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 08:20 am:   

My second novel, Yume no Hon: The Book of Dreams is now available for pre-order on Shocklines.

In the mind of Ayako, an old woman in exile on a mountain in medieval Japan, nothing is certain, and nothing holds a familiar shape for long. This is a map of a psyche exalted and destroyed by solitude, and on its contorted surface Shinto philosophy, Greek mathematics, Hawaiian goddesses, Egyptian legend, quantum physics, and Babylonian myth meet and merge...

In Catherynne M. Valente's second novel since the critically acclaimed The Labyrinth, language and myth construct a strange new geography of the self.

This is The Book of Dreams: open it and walk the shadowy paths of this extraordinary landscape.

This is once again a special signed edition, so check it out and reserve a copy before its December release.

Clarkesworld Books
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 10:54 am:   

Is the signing arranged through Prime or Shocklines? If it's Prime, I have to update the listing at my place.

-Neil

catherynne
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 02:09 am:   

It's the same as before, so yes, I imagine you'll have to update your site. Talk to Sean about the details--I'm sure he can get you all the info re: cover image, etc.

Cat

catherynne
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   

Big news! Sean and I have tentatively decided to do a dual edition of The Book of Dreams: Red and Blue versions. The text will differ slightly, in a key section, a matter of 69 words.

The colors themselves correspond to red and cyan, shades on opposite ends of the color spectrum--also complimentary colors which together produce white light. (This should serve as a signpost to indicate the presence of physics theory bang-smash up against Shinto mythology in the novel itself.)

The covers are here:

http://home.comcast.net/~seanwallace/bookofdreams.html

Opinions? Comments?

Cat

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 01:41 pm:   

I think they're gorgeous. I alsolove the limitation page (Sean emailed it to me).

Very cool.
Congrats.

Rhys
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 09:42 am:   

Yes, totally gorgeous covers!

And what a great idea -- to have two versions that slightly differ, just like Milorad Pavic's DICTIONARY OF THE KHAZARS.

How nice to see somebody playing with form in clever ways. This restores my faith!

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 10:20 am:   

Now it seems I have a choice to make. . . hrm. . .

I take the blue cover and the story ends. I wake in my bed and I believe whatever I want to believe. I take the red cover, and I stay in Wonderland, and you show me how deep the rabbit-hole goes. . .

Luís
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 11:08 am:   

Thanks, Mastadge. Now I'm going to have to hide a white rabbit somewhere in the red cover. :-)

Luís
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 11:09 am:   

And thanks, Ellen & Rhys, for the kind comments.

neil a
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:34 am:   

nice. I prefer the blue. Just so's you know.

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 11:10 am:   

What's the current release date on Yume no Hon? I've seen several go by. Was I silly and missed it?

catherynne
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 12:08 am:   

Sadly, due to cover delays, you haven\\'t missed it. Current projected date is June.

catherynne
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:58 am:   

The differing editions are now individually available at the Wildside Press site. All pre-orders to date will get a randomly selected edition. The book will go to the printers this week and finally see the light of day in June!

This Is The Book of Dreams

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 05:59 am:   

Cool, thanks for the quick response.

BTW, I picked up a copy of The Labyrinth in a recent Shocklines deal. Well, two actually -- my wife wanted a copy. I'm looking forward to reading it.

catherynne
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:47 am:   

I hope you enjoy it, Andreas!

catherynne
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

The Book of Dreams is officially out and ready for public consumption! Clarkesworld, Shocklines, and all the usual small press culprits have it, as well as Amazon and BN. Go forth and read!

Wildside Link

(The Wildside site is the only place where you can specifically request either the red or blue edition--or get them both for a package deal of $40)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration