The Labyrinth Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Valente, Catherynne M. » The Labyrinth « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Catherynne Valente
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 05:01 pm:   

"The Labyrinth," my first novel through Prime Books, is ready for advance orders at Shocklines. This is certainly a very exciting time for me as events are moving quickly and we hope to have ARCs sent out quite soon.

This is, I must say, a very strange book. By way of introduction, I'm putting up the official blurb, and also some comments from a reader, who was lucky enough to get her hands on an early draft.

Hic Monstra delitescunt...

A lyrical anti-quest through a darkly conscious maze—a dark pilgrim’s progress through a landscape of vicious Angels, plague houses, crocodile-prophets, tragic chess-sets, and the mind of a nameless woman, driven on by the mocking guide who seeks to destroy as much as save.

Enter the world of the Labyrinth, where Doors do not wait to be opened, but hunt you in the night. This is Zarathustra in Wonderland, a surreal journey, a twisted path through language and madness...

Sed puella, ubi abscondes?

From a reader:

From the very beginning I fell in love and felt my feet moving in time to a journey through madness and mazes. There is much to be said for a novel of such oration as The Labyrinth. A monologue of sorts that graces the eyes of a world full of the fantastical and yet never leaves the mind of the teller and the reader. A world of Carroll like charms, of falling downdowndown. A syphilitic Alice, if Alice had eaten the Mad Hatter instead of having tea with him. A world of doors that hunt, velveteen Hares and meaningful lobsters.

It is here in the Labyrinth were compass roses are ingested and names are eaten. The tale of the “Walker, The Seeker-After, The Woman of the Maze” of whom no door has ever caught. Be-jewelled angels and evangelist crocodiles, monkeys and lisping molluscs, an over grown chessboard and a book eating crone. A tale of haunting visions, “Visions yes, but no will. Will has no meaning, or has lost it…”

This a tale you will devour over and over again...The story took me to places I had never even dreamed about, and then I read it and it was all I dreamt about. The road goes ever onward, and I walked for miles in my sleep, running from doors, talking to monkeys and checking to see if my skin had changed hue. It is in all honesty one of the most beautifully written novels I have ever read.

I'm happy to answer any questions and open to discussion.

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 08:07 pm:   

It's good stuff. People should check it out.

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:45 am:   

Hi Catherynne.

I have started reading an advance copy of your book, kindly given to me by Jeff Vandermeer. Nice, thick prose. Good work!

catherynne
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 08:41 am:   

The first review of The Labyrinth is up at The Agony Column! It's a very interesting and funny article--a good read even if I wasn't biased as to the content. ;)

Brendan also interviewed me recently for Fantastic Metropolis, so keep an eye out for it!

(Thanks, Brendan)

catherynne
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:58 pm:   

Well, now that we are roughly a month from publication, Amazon.com is now listing The Labyrinth for pre-orders!

Click here to order a copy, if you haven't been over at Shocklines or Clarkesworld lately.

And if my synopsis hasn't been clear or scintillating enough to pique interest, Rick Kleffel has posted a wonderful review at The Agony Column which both summarizes and recommends better than I could:

http://trashotron.com/agony/reviews/2004/valente-the_labyrinth.htm

Rick also interviewed me for NPR recently--the interview will air in California in August. While in the studio, we recorded some poetry readings which will be up in mp3 form on my website within a week or so.

Please do take a look/listen!

catherynne
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 08:09 am:   

My NPR interview with Rick aired last week and is now available in MP3 form on his website. It went off rather wonderfully and covers a lot of literary and philosophical territory. Pretty interesting, even apart from the novel.

Go here to listen:

Interview

JV
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:37 am:   

Just posted my introduction to the book. Great book.

http://vanderworld.blogspot.com/2004/08/labyrinth-by-catherynne-m-valente.html

JeffV

rwexler
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:31 pm:   

I'm looking forward to getting it.

Robert

Luis
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:37 pm:   

While I'm at it . . . :-)

The Labyrinth

Best,
Luís

Luis
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 02:44 pm:   

Hello!

Catherynne has a new interview and a novel extract up at Fantastic Metropolis:

AN INTERVIEW WITH CATHERYNNE M. VALENTE, by Brendan Connell
http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/show.html?iw.valente

THE LABYRINTH: AN EXCERPT FROM CANTO THE FIRST, by Catherynne M. Valente
http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/show.html?fn.labyrinth

When you're done (but why wait?), do yourself a favour and order a copy of _The Labyrinth_, it's definitely one of the hottest books of the year.

Cheers,
Luís

Chris
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 10:11 am:   

Hi Catherynne,

I'm really excited to read your novel. However, September 1st has come and gone, and amazon and shocklines still don't seem to have gotten it yet. Was the release delayed again, and when can I expect to be able to get my hands on a copy of your book?

thanks,
Chris

catherynne
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 08:22 am:   

Chris--

There was a slight delay with the bookplates--Shocklines has shipped their pre-orders and now lists the book as in-print, Amazon should be doing the same shortly, as soon as we rattle their cages a little. I'm sorry for the wait.

Cat

Clarkesworld Books
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 10:55 am:   

We're still waiting for ours to arrive. Looking forward to it!

-Neil

catherynne
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 02:11 am:   

Sean Wallace at Prime Books is really the guy to talk to about the shipping of books and when they'll arrive. If you ask me, I'll just go ask him. So it's probably best to talk to him directly if your copies haven't arrived or anything of that nature.

But I can assure you that we are doing our best to get them out in a timely manner! Blame military mail for being so slow with the bookplates.

Cat

catherynne
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 08:27 am:   

The Labyrinth is now available for purchase at Shocklines--in fact, it's the #1 in-print title there this week!

It should become available at Amazon and Clarkesworld within the week--The Labyrinth is out and in the world!

If you haven't already, take a look at her--it's a beautiful cover by Luis and I'm very proud of the novel. Thanks to everyone for their support!

catherynne
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 08:08 am:   

The Labyrinth is finally available on Amazon! Click here to order and check out my blog at Livejournal for all the details.

I think it's safe to say the book is "out" now. Kind of amazing, really.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration