Welcome Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Valente, Catherynne M. » Welcome « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Catherynne Valente
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 04:51 pm:   

Welcome to my message board! Thanks to Jeff Vandermeer for setting it up and Night Shade for suffering me on their lovely site! I'm eagerly awaiting...well, any presence but mine around here. Ask away, and I shall answer.

benpeek
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:25 am:   

hi.

*waves*

Rhys
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:30 am:   

Here's a glass of absinthe for you, Catherynne... So tell us: what are you currently working on? And what is this 'novel a week' thing???

Robert Devereux
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 08:14 am:   

Hello. That's certainly in interesting sounding book you've got. The description and the reading excerpt have aroused my interest.

JV
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 08:33 am:   

Welcome, Catherynne!

I've read The Labyrinth and think it's a really wonderful book. You'd like it a lot, Robert.

Jeff

John Klima
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:30 pm:   

Welcome, welcome! The book sounds very intersting, and you're getting recs from good people.

JK

Catherynne
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:07 pm:   

Who told you about the novel in a week thing?

Well, that is how "The Labyrinth" originally got written. I challenged myself to write a novel in seven days. I overshot it, partly because my macintosh decided to have a meltdown, and finished in ten.

I do this from time to time to kick myself if I'm coasting or to get something done that's proving difficult--it always comes out with a great frenetic energy and, well, it's a challenge--I'm like a third grader trying to win the sack race. The discipline of the time restraint really brings out the best in me.

So one of my online readers knew that if she dared me, I'd probably do it again. She challenged me to a novel in a week the last week of February, and like a third grader, I had to accept.

As to what I'm working on, and therefore what I'll be doing...I have several projects, only a few of which could be tackled in a week. I'm working on the second book of "The Daughter's Tales" and a few other things (there's a works in progress page on my website, if you want details) but I'll very likely be writing either my Arthurian project, which has been on the back burner for awhile, or a re-telling of Antigone. In Greek, Antigone is a very different animal, and I want to get all the dark sex and death stuff into English, using the same surreal style I did in "The Labyrinth."

Phew! I think that about covers it!

Scylla
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 03:24 pm:   

and how are things your side of the straits┐?

Scylla
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:41 pm:   

Charybdis.. are you there?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration