Things I'd Say To A 16 Year-Old Me Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Lundberg, Jason Erik » Things I'd Say To A 16 Year-Old Me « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anna Tambour
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 06:19 pm:   

Lovely list, Jason.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jlundberg/90705.html?mode=reply I completely agree with the placement as first, of "Go with your passions", though I'm not completely in agreement about your point 11. In some circumstances, getting shot at is oddly stimulating, and dare I say--romantic?
Btw, have you seen JV's list, which mentions yours?
http://vanderworld.blogspot.com/2005/06/eleven-things-i-would-say-to-my-16.html

This list isn't static, either. Just as necessary is "Things I'd say to a 35-Year-Old Me", etc.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

Jeff emailed me that he'd done his own list, which is great. As a meme, it's great that it's being perpetuated by weird and thoughtful people.

Re: no. 11, I'm actually conflicted about this myself. Getting shot at seriously messed me up for at least a year. I was stressed out and jumpy and miserable all the time, and a total shit to be around. I had nightmares a lot, and a constant general sense of unease. I don't know if this would count as post-traumatic stress or not, but I was deeply unhappy, and had the worst writer's block of my life.

On the other hand, it did lead to a much better apartment (because I moved out of the other place a week after the shooting), and after I got mostly over it, I was inspired to write a story about that apartment ("Enlightenment"), which Mike Jasper bought for Intracities, and which Keith Brooke later reprinted at Infinity Plus. Plus, it makes an interesting topic at parties.

And I agree that this list isn't static. There are things I'd like to say to my 20-year-old self as well. Even my 28-year-old self. But my 16-year-old self seemed to be involved in much more drama (which just makes sense, being a pubescent high-schooler and all).

How about your own list, Anna? What would you say?

AT
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   

Good to know that there was some good that came of that bad experience. About my own list, I guess if I had a list might be 1) Hmm 2) Umm 3) Mmm, etc., which is why I don't blog.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register