WisCon Schedule Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Lundberg, Jason Erik » WisCon Schedule « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:03 pm:   

Hey kids, here's where I'll be for WisCon 29; if you're around, please consider dropping by and introducing yourself:

Children, The Fabulous Monsters
(Readings)
Friday, 11:45 p.m.-1:15 a.m. in Conference Room 2
Marsha Sisolak, Catherine M. Morrison, Pam McNew, Jason Erik Lundberg

When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother, "What will I be? Will I be pretty? Will I be rich?" Here's what she said to me.

Cover Letters, Manuscripts, and Rejections: Back to Basics
(Writing SF/F: The Business)
Saturday, 9:00-10:15 p.m. in Caucus Room
M: Liz Gorinsky, Kelly McCullough, Jason Erik Lundberg, Shana Cohen

There are books that handle this topic fairly well, but nothing substitutes for experience. Active pros and semi-pros in writing, editing, and publishing talk about the dos and don'ts.

Is Everything Interstitial?
(Reading SF/F)
Sunday, 1:00-2:15 p.m. in Capitol B
M: Ysabeau Wilce, Mary Anne Mohanraj, Jason Erik Lundberg

Most interstitiality panels I've heard about have consisted mostly of Interstitial Arts Foundation members telling audiences about the IAF. There's recently been some controversy online about interstitiality, with various people objecting to the term and various uses of it on a variety of grounds. But I haven't seen much direct engagement between IAF proponents and detractors; it might be interesting to have a panel on interstitiality with representatives from multiple perspectives hashing things out in person and in public.

Small Press Publishing: How To Do It Right
(Writing SF/F: The Business)
Monday, 10:00-11:15 a.m. in Assembly
M: Jacob Weisman (Tachyon Publications), Jason Erik Lundberg (Two Cranes Press), Eric M. Heideman (Tales of the Unanticipated)

Small presses have long been a source of beautiful and unusual books. What does it take to create a successful small press? How do writers find one that is suitable for their works?

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:51 am:   

The Business of Publishing (Writing SF&F: The Business)
Sunday, 10:00-11:15 a.m. in Senate A

What is the average novel advance? What do the really big writers get paid? How about editors? What happens once a book is sold? What are returns? How does it all work? And why is it so complicated? And what the hell do Sales & Marketing actually do? Are agents really necessary? Come find out the answers to these questions and more.
M: James Minz, James Frenkel, Jack Byrne

Promoting Your Novel (Writing SF&F: The Business)
Sunday, 2:30-3:45 p.m. in Senate B

Everyone knows that the vast majority of published novelists do not get sent on book tours or make appearances on "Oprah" and "Good Morning America." So what should the rest of us be doing to promote our novels? What are the best ways to let people know our novels exist?
John M Scalzi, James Minz, Justine Larbalestier, Eileen Gunn, M: Liz Gorinsky

(I don't get in until Fri am this year.)

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   

I'm really going to try to make it to the Promoting Your Novel panel, Jim. I haven't sold one yet, but I'd definitely like to jump the gun on getting info about promoting it.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:10 am:   

Jim . . . editors . . . get paid?

minz
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 01:18 pm:   

It's one of the finest paying hobbies in the country...

And it's a shame Suzette Haden Elgin isn't on the panel (or at Wiscon), because she is the Goddess of Promotion. Check out http://www.sfwa.org/members/elgin/BookAlive.htm
Her talks about promotion and writing are chock full of common sense and good advice. I can only hope the five panelists can do a good enough job. Altogether, we're no Suzette Haden Elgin.

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 05:34 pm:   

Cool. I'll check it out.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 09:03 am:   

Wow, she is amazing. Thanks for the link, Jim.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 09:06 am:   

Okay, here's my final WisCon schedule. A few people were added to the panels as scheduling was finalized, so this should be the actual lineup. I was happy to see that Tempest got on the "Back to Basics" panel, and the small press panel just wouldn't have been the same without Gavin.

Just ten days away now. Yay WisCon!

Children, The Fabulous Monsters
Readings | Conference Room 2
Friday, 11:45 p.m.–1:00 a.m.
When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother, "What will I be? Will I be pretty? Will I be rich?" Here's what she said to me.
Rachael Rebecca Hoffman–Dachelet, Jason Erik Lundberg, Pam McNew, Catherine M. Morrison, Marsha Sisolak

Cover letters, manuscripts, and rejections. Back to basics.
Writing SF&F: The Business | Caucus Room
Saturday, 9:00–10:15 p.m.
There are books that handle this topic fairly well, but nothing substitutes for experience. Active pros and semi–pros in writing, editing, and publishing talk about the dos and don'ts.
M: Liz Gorinsky, K. Tempest Bradford, Shana Cohen, Jason Erik Lundberg, Kelly McCullough

Is Everything Interstitial?
Reading SF&F | Capitol B
Sunday, 1:00–2:15 p.m.
Most interstitiality panels have consisted, primarily, of Interstitial Arts Foundation members telling audiences about the IAF. There's recently been some controversy online about interstitiality, with various people objecting to the term, and various uses of it, on a variety of grounds. There hasn't been much direct engagement between IAF proponents and detractors; here is a panel on interstitiality, with representatives from multiple perspectives hashing things out in person and in public.
M: Ysabeau Wilce, Jason Erik Lundberg, Mary Anne Mohanraj

Small Press Publishing: How To Do It Right
Writing SF&F: The Business | Assembly
Monday, 10:00–11:15 a.m.
Small presses have long been a source of beautiful and unusual books. What does it take to create a successful small press? How do writers find one that is suitable for their works?
M: Jacob Weisman, Gavin J. Grant, Eric M. Heideman, Greg Ketter, Jason Erik Lundberg

Complete programming schedule, time/room grid and list of participants.

wiscon

rwexler
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:33 am:   

Hi Jason! Was great meeting you and Janet. Hope you can make it to World Fantasy. And good luck with your collections.

rwexler
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:34 am:   

Collection, I meant.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 08:37 pm:   

Thanks, Robert, it was great getting to talk to you too. I hope I can make it to World Fantasy as well.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register