Off the Map Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Lundberg, Jason Erik » Off the Map « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 10:56 am:   

On the heels of our current success with Scattered, Covered, Smothered, we'll be publishing a new mini-collection by Big Fish author Daniel Wallace in March 2005. Off the Map gathers four of Wallace's particularly weird and fantastical short stories in one place, presented with high quality printing and a beautiful perfect-bound cover. Wallace himself provided the cover and all interior illustrations, each one a perfect companion to the stories inside. (Cover design and color by Janet Chui.)

"Slippered Feet" describes a middle-aged couple's attempt to learn a new language through audio-tape instruction, an experience that quickly turns bizarre as the voice on the tape begins to have conversations with the wife. "The Story of a Hairy Man" is just that, an exploration of the different, the other, personified in this case by a regular guy who cannot stop the onslaught of hair growth all over his body. "Vacation," which is original to this collection, begins with a trip to a foreign land amid thoughts of marital infidelity, and soon turns sinister as you are taken deeper into a lost civilization. And "Four Short Novels About My Father," a slipstreamy set of four short-shorts, examines the very unique and sometimes inscrutable relationship of a man to his father.

Daniel Wallace has been praised as a writer who "brings to his role as author wit, a subtle compassion, and an offbeat originality" (The Boston Globe) and who "demonstrates extraordinary originality, craftsmanship and charm" (Publishers Weekly). The New York Times Book Review said of Wallace's novel Big Fish that "Daniel Wallace...adds legends and folk tales from the Southern backwoods, throws in a smattering of Greek myth and attaches a few of his own inventions. Applying all of these...resulted in a story that is both comic and poignant." And Hal Jacobs of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution relates that "Wallace hits all the right notes of magical realism, creating a world where the supernatural fits alongside the ordinary, where storytellers stretch the plausible, and terror, fear and violence lurk below the surface."

Off the Map will take you to places you've never before visited, from far-flung cultures that obey different rules, to our own everyday existences, but tweaked slightly to show the magic of our normally mundane lives. Each of these stories showcases a phenomenal command of the written word, and an eye for the bizarre. Whether they take place close to home or on the other side of the world, each is located off the map of normal perception.

Copies are now available for preorder on our website for $7.95 (plus $1.50 for shipping within North America). Wallace has a large fan base, and the first print run is expected to sell out fairly quickly. We've just updated our site with a page devoted to the book, and links to other Wallace-related things. Get your copy soon, and share in the wonderfully bizarre worlds of Wallace's imagination.

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 07:37 am:   

Wow, I haven't updated in a while, but I did want to know that all our copies of Off the Map sold out in preorders, which is awesome. I'm still talking to Daniel about if we're even going to do a second print run or not. Right now, it's looking like "not." So in the meantime, you can order it from Clarkesworld Books.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:08 am:   

After the Carrboro Book Fair, we have copies again of Off the Map, though in extremely limited numbers, as in four.

These last four copies are all signed by Daniel Wallace, and as such, the price has been increased to $13.95. They've been put back up on twocranespress.com, and will remain there until they are sold out.

Your Humble Publisher
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   

Off the Map is officially sold out now. All gone. I believe Clarkesworld still has copies, so that's the only place to find them now.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:32 pm:   

Jason,
Were any of the stories original to the collection? Also, any of them dark, or all fantasy? Did you get a review copy to Kelly and Gavin for YBFH?

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 08:19 am:   

Hey Ellen. The one original story, "Vacation," is both dark and fantastic. I sent one review copy to Gavin and Kelly, since that was all I had, but if you would like to see it too, I can ask them to mail it to you, or I could send you a PDF.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 05:49 pm:   

Jason,
Could you send it to me as an attached word file?
If not, I'll ask K&G to give me the copy when they're done.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 08:45 pm:   

Sure, Ellen. I'll send it to you sometime tomorrow; I'm pretty sure I still have your email addy.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 09:31 am:   

Ellen Datlow emailed me a couple of days ago with the wonderful news that Daniel Wallace's story "Vacation" (first published in Off the Map) will be reprinted in volume 19 of The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror! Yay! W00t! And so forth! It's a kick-ass story, and I'm so glad it will get further recognition. Congratulations, Daniel!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register