Scattered, covered, smothered: call f... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Lundberg, Jason Erik » Scattered, covered, smothered: call for submissions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 02:24 pm:   

Janet and I have been knocking around an idea of producing a one-shot anthology, and after talking about it quite a bit over the last couple of days, we're going for it. Here is the call for submissions:

Scattered, Smothered, Covered is a new original anthology of fun foodie fiction from Two Cranes Press, edited by Jason Erik Lundberg and published by Janet Chui. Think Liquor; think Iron Chef; think "How to Eat a Mango".

Expected publication date: Christmas 2004. Reading Period: August 1 - October 31, 2004.

Guidelines:

Please do not send simultaneous or multiple submissions. We also are not accepting unsolicited reprints.

The theme of Scattered, Covered, Smothered is: food. Your story should incorporate some amount of food preparation, appreciation, or ingestion, and it should be integral to the story. For a good example, see Christopher Rowe's story "Seared Scallops and Steamed Green Beans" at The Infinite Matrix.

The anthology will be organized as a loose recipe book or cookbook. The title of your story should preferably indicate something edible or food-related.

Stories should be typed and submitted in MS Word or WordPerfect format, not in the body of your email. They should be in Times New Roman font; Courier New and other monospace fonts hurt our eyes, so please do not use them. Use a one inch margin all around. Please put your name and address in the upper left hand corner of the first page and an approximate word count in the upper right hand corner. On the second and subsequent pages, please place a header in the upper right hand corner that includes the page number, your last name, and an identifying word or two of the title.

Please include a cover letter telling us a little about yourself and listing your last few publishing credits (if applicable). That's all we'll need.

All submissions should be emailed to Jason Erik Lundberg at twocranes@nc.rr.com. We will respond with an acceptance or rejection by November 15, 2004. Payment is a flat US$10 on publication, plus one contributor copy.

We enjoy speculative fiction, but also read widely in the literary mainstream, as well as the spaces between. So send us your best fiction, no matter the genre, as long as it follows the previous guidelines. Two Cranes Press is not an erotica market, sorry.

Further questions should be addressed to twocranes@nc.rr.com.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 02:32 pm:   

Something I left off:

Upper limit: 5000 words. There is no lower limit, and short-shorts are encouraged.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 07:47 pm:   

Addendum:

We are also happy to look at your interesting and unique recipes, though there is no guarantee of acceptance. If we accept yours, payment is one copy of the anthology.

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:42 am:   

My wife, the lovely and talented Janet Chui, recently finished the cover art for the antho; the piece is called "The Joy of Cooking."

Things are going well with submissions. I have a good number that I like now, and will start paring the list down as the deadline approaches. I've already sent out a first batch of rejections, so if you haven't heard from me, your story's still in the running.

If you haven't submitted yet, why the hell not?

JV
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:24 am:   

Well, dammit, that could be from the Exchange.

Now I've got to write something...

Lovely piece of art.

JeffV

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 03:29 pm:   

Because I'm still working on the story, that's why.

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 09:25 am:   

I kid folks, I kid. You've still a little over a month left to submit.

And yeah, Jeff, this could be in the kitchen before "The Exchange" begins. I love the fact that one of the tentacles has grabbed a serving spoon.

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 10:22 am:   

I've spent the last few days catching up on submissions to the food anthology, and have sent out all of the initial rejections. If you haven't heard from me yet, it means I'm still considering your story or recipe. I'll be sending out the final acceptances and rejections on November 15. I had the fun task of emailing some acceptances today, and I'm getting increasingly excited about this project. So far, our confirmed contributors include Christopher Rowe, Jon Hansen, Mark Teppo, Nalo Hopkinson, Rhys Hughes and Barth Anderson. Janet and I are still hashing through the other submissions, trying to agree on what we both like; she's a plot monkey and I'm a style monkey, so our tastes sometimes clash. But those of you who haven't submitted yet still have a week to send your story. The deadline is midnight EST, October 31.

J. Erik Lundberg
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 07:22 am:   

First of all, the spammer who raided my board here can go to hell, and not the nice hell where you get a bronzy tan and a good steam, but the disemboweling, hot pokers, maggots in the eyes hell.

Phew.

This past weekend, both Janet and I pored through the remaining submissions to Scattered, Covered, Smothered and decided who would stay and who would go. I've now sent out all acceptances and rejections, so if you haven't heard from me, email me immediately in case your contact info has changed or your spam filter was too stringent. I'm holding off a few days announcing the table of contents since I've asked a few authors to do revisions before I accept their stories, but it'll definitely be by the end of this week.

Fred Cipriano
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 09:45 am:   

Killing all human's one brain cell at a time.
http://fred_cipriano.datamachine.net/
Fred Cipriano's Prank Calls and Flash Animations.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   

Gah! Spammed again! Stupid bots, I kill you!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register