OOP status Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Jerusalem Dreaming : Edward Whittemore » OOP status « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   

Mike, The first two books have been back ordered at Borderlands for some time. Any chance of a reprint of Siani Tapastry arriving anytime soon?

(fingers crossed)

Michael Walsh
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 05:44 pm:   

Violins please...
Would love to reprint... however... until I pay off Thomson-Shore for the 5 books they produced for me for Worldcon...

B&N turned down all five titles and the SF buyer at Borders doesn't respond to my emails.

In case one is wondering what was turned down...
Clifford Simak's CITY and WAY STATION (with the best cover the book has ever had)
Edgar Pangborn's A MIRROR FOR OBSERVERS and DAVY
& Terry Pratchett: Guilty of Literature, 2nd edition.

Cover shots and further details at www.oldearthbooks.com.

Jerem Lassen
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 09:55 am:   

Ah yes. Sounds very familiar. Best of luck Mike. I'll keep pimping your titles, Here, and at Borderlands, and everywhere I go...

Michael Walsh
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 07:39 am:   

One of the weird things is that at Boskone this month, Gavin (of Small Beer Press) was singing the praises of the Borders SF buyer. "Great to work with, etc etc." *sigh*

The longer I'm in the book biz, the weirder it gets.

& thanks for being a book pimp!

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   

Did you ask Gavin how he contacted the buyer? Email/phone? Are you sure the buyer received your emails?

Michael Walsh
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 07:29 am:   

I've left a message or two on the buyers voice mail. The email address is the same that Gavin uses. It's also the same address that the JHU Press reps use to contact him.

Maybe I should publish manga....

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:03 am:   

That sucks. Is there anyone else you can go to? I'd say keep trying till you get the live person.

m
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:11 pm:   

To quote Elvis "I use to be disgusted, now I try to be amused."

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 07:25 am:   

Notes on dealing with Borders, from our limited experience:

1. Borders doesn't love hardcovers. If it isn't a high profile release, you're going to get a minimal (100 or less) buy, if at all. Trade paper they're all over, but hardcovers are a tough sell. If you've got a hot author, or someone with some buzz, they'll be a lot more amenable. Unfortunately Pangborn and Simak don't really fall into this category. We have a very good relationship with Borders, but they don't stock ANY of our classic titles.

2. Borders doesn't love pricing that isn't in line with NY pricing. Edgar Pangborn isn't going to be a huge mover for them no matter what, but a $30 price point is probably scaring them off. This is why The Algebraist, as well as any other hardcovers we're trying to get into Borders, are now $24.95. Even with that, we're still getting pretty minimal buys on most hardcovers. This is probably why you haven't gotten a bite on the Pratchett, which at $20 is quite a bit higher than most tpbs.

3. Borders is MUCH easier to deal with if you have a distributor. Before we hooked up with Diamond, we had only one title ever get picked up by them. Now they pick up just about everything, even if they don't take that many.

Regarding B&N, they're a mighty tough nut to crack. Borders took 800 copies of our Bubba Ho-Tep tpb (coming in October). B&N took 12.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register