September 2004 news Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Jerusalem Dreaming : Edward Whittemore » September 2004 news « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Walsh
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 11:07 am:   

This arrived today - 10 September . . .

"One of the best-kept secrets in American literature, the novels of the mysterious Edward Whittemore are like bowls of hashish pudding: rich, dark, tasty, amusing, intoxicating, revelatory, a little bit outlandish and little bit unsafe." - - Tom Robbins

Publisher does happy dance . . . woo woo ! ! !

EDatlow
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:55 pm:   

Congratulations!! Very nice quote

Anne S
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:24 am:   

Below is an email I received in November 2001 from a friend of Tom Robbins which you may be interested in reading:

" I had been speaking with my friend Tom Robbins, another fan of Edward Whittemore's and whom I initially turned on to "Quin's Shanghai Circus", and he wondered what had happened to him. I didn't know either, but today I did a web search and found him, through your grace.

"Quin's Shanghai Circus" was given to me many years ago, in galley form, by a writer friend, Barry Farrell, who I believe had been asked to review it. I fell into the book and was so enthusiastic about it that I tried to option it and get someone interested in it as a film. No one was, but what a wild film it could be.

I had lost touch with Whittemore's writings after reading "Jerusalem Poker" and "Sinai Tapestry" and occasionally wondered about him. I can see his effect on writers like Tom R., especially in his latest book "Fierce Invalids".

I think they would have enjoyed each other and I'm sure I would have enjoyed hearing the conversation.

I hope the reissues will be met with the appreciation they deserve. I have ordered the two books from the quartet I had missed and look forward to reading them. Thank you for keeping the light.

Peace, in wartime,

Danny O'Keefe"

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register