Aurealis Award nomination Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Maloney, Geoffrey » Aurealis Award nomination « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:12 am:   

Hi Geoff - congratulations on being nominated for an Aurealis Award! Tales from the Crypto-System is a wonderful collection, and it's great to see Bush of Ghosts nominated. Might see you in Brisbane for the awards ceremony.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   

Where is the announcement? It's not on the website.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:08 am:   

Ellen---

Check the Clarion South site: http://www.clarionsouth.org/aurealisawards/Frame.html

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 06:05 pm:   

Thanks Kirsten! Glad we are in different categories:-)

Ellen it was a bit consfusing as those short listed were advised by email 24 hours prior to the list going up on the site. So we knew on Thursday our time and I think the list went up late Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Also this year the awards were moved to a separate site, presumably to create the separation between the magazine and the awards, a distinction which has been steadily building over the years. The Clarion South site seems to have been used simply because it was readily available -- the awards and Clarion South are being organised by the same group here in Brisbane, Fantastic Queensland.

Look forward to seeing you in January.

Kirsten it will be great if you can make it up for the awards.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 06:55 pm:   

Gordon, Geoff,
I found it soon after I posted above but thanks for pointing out the right direction for everyone else.

Geoff, very much looking forward to seeing you, too and hopefully Kirsten. Despite what the site originally said, I am not conducting a seminar but basically holding an informal kaffeeklatsch Sunday for any of the nominees. Bring questions :-) It's just a discussion of whatever anyone would like to discuss.

AnnaT
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 08:10 pm:   

Congrats, Geoff,
I love Tales from the Crypto-System, and consider several stories in it "classics". I really admire your ability to deal with politics and government as a natural part of your story, without diatribe. There is so much integrity in the voice in your stories. On the Kipling one, coincidentally, I only read all of his short stories about six months ago, so my tardy education was rewarded by this wonderful tale. I enjoyed every story, with not one falling flat. Every one poses difficult questions, and shows uncomfortable compromises that are made. My copy is dog-eared, the mark of one I've really enjoyed.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 02:14 pm:   

congrats geoff

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 03:28 pm:   

Geoff,
Congratulations (a bit belatedly) :-)

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 06:43 pm:   

Thanks Anna, Ben and Ellen

It's nice to see that story get some recognition; it's had a rough life. I wonder if the general increase in fear in the world has made it look much more plausible than it did when it first started out as a struggling young story looking for a home.

And rest assured, Ellen, that we have all been individually advised that kaffeeklatsch it is.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   

Thank goodness. Initially it said on the site that I was conducting a professional seminar...Ha!

<<<And rest assured, Ellen, that we have all been individually advised that kaffeeklatsch it is.

ben peek
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 10:15 pm:   

um... maybe i'm dim, but what exactly does kaffeeklatsch mean?

i get the gist of it, but the exact meaning, i've no idea.

Geoffey Maloney
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 10:37 pm:   

In it's most innocent sense - coffee and gossip, but in some circles it seems to be a business meeting over coffee.

Congratulation on your AA nomination as well Ben.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 08:36 am:   

It's actually in between the two as far as sf convention terminology.

It's an informal gathering of readers/fans and in this particular case writers with a writer (or editor) they'd like to meet and interact with face to face.
They're usually limited to 10 people and if you're lucky you actually get coffee in the room. :-)

It's an opportunity to ask questions and just discuss stuff.

ben peek
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 03:58 pm:   

cool. the gist was pretty much it then.

and thanks geoff. it's a bit on the ridiculous side, for a couple of reasons, but maybe a few folk'll read the story that didn't.

Barbara Robson
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 05:05 am:   

I'm a new writer lucky enough to have been nominated in the SF short story category. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to the awards ceremony or kaffeeklatsch, but I wish I could (the "kaffeeklatsch", anyway - awards ceremonies leave me edgy). Ellen has such a friendly and professional online presence and high reputation that she's probably the editor I'd most like to meet.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:51 am:   

Here's the winners of the 2004 Aurealis Awards:

Peter McNamara Convenors Award: Cat Sparks

Golden Aurealis, best novel of the year: Richard Harland, The Black Crusade

Golden Aurealis, best short story of the year: Margo Lanagan, Singing My Sister Down

Best SF novel: Maxine McArthur, Less Than Human (Warner Aspect)

Best SF short: Brendan Duffy, Come to Daddy, Agog! Smashing Stories

Best Fantasy novel: Sean Williams, The Crooked Letter (HarperCollins)

Best Fantasy short: tie: Richard Harland, Catabolic Magic (Aurealis 32) AND
Louise Katz, Weavers of the Twilight (Agog! Smashing Stories)

Best Horror novel: Richard Harland, The Black Crusade (Chimaera Publications)

Best Horror short: Paul Haines, The Last Days of Kali Yuga (NFG #4)
Best YA novel: Scott Westerfeld, Midnighters (Harper Eos)

Best YA short: Margo Lanagan, Singing My Sister Down (Black Juice, Allen & Unwin)

Best Childrens long: Colin Thompson, How To Live Forever (Random)

Best Childrens short: Gary Crew & Stephen Woolman, Beneath the Surface (Hodder Headline)

Further details can be found at: www.aurealisawards.com

The awards night was excellent, even for those of us who didn't win (sniff) and the kaffeeklatsch with Ellen and those short-listed the following day was indeed a welcome bonus. It was a buzzy weekend in Brisbane! Great to catch up with old friends like Kirsten Bishop, Maxine McArthur, Lee Battersby, Bill Congreve and Trent Jamieson, and meet a great may Australian writers whose names I had only seen on bookcovers and in magazines before.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration