Crypto-System Reviews Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Maloney, Geoffrey » Crypto-System Reviews « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 06:43 pm:   

It seems that Claude Lalumière has developed a bit of a love-hate relationship with my writing:

http://www.locusmag.com/2004/Reviews/01Lalumiere_2003Best.html

It's great to get a mention in his best of 2003 review and I loved the bit about "most intriguing and outré 2003 collection I've read"

As I mentioned to Jeff Vandermeer elsewhere, Claude's reviewing of my work (see earlier Locus Online review of Crypto-System) reminds me of Oscar Wilde's quip that there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about.

Heard too recently that reviews of Crypto-System are planned for the Courier Mail in Brisbane (the largest daily newspaper) and also in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine. A review in the Sydney Morning Herald in the near future also seems likely.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 06:40 pm:   

Review and article on Crypto-System which appeared in The Courier Mail (the Queensland daily newspaper)

http://thecouriermail.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,8472689%255E7642,00.html

JV
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:27 am:   

True, true, Geoff. I hope most readers will realize that Claude's talking about an uncorrected proof copy.

JeffV

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:50 pm:   

Congrats on the Courier Mail reviews - that's great! Hope the SMH one comes up for you, too.

I've finished reading Crypto-System - they're truly fine stories, Geoff.

Youngburton's tale might still be my favourite, I think - I know he's my favourite one of your characters - though the ideas in 'A Very Long War' made it a close second. Some of the other stories I particularly enjoyed were 'Age of Democracy', 'In the Service of the Shogarth', 'The Parallax Garden' and 'Elecktra Dreams'.

While a Communist Australia now seems less likely, our sheeplike behaviour of late has made me wonder whether, if we're not careful, we might not find ourselves under some sort of totalitarian government in the future - probably Fascist, though we wouldn't call it that.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 05:59 pm:   

Jeff, hopefully they will.

Kirsten, interesting about the "Communist Australia" angle. It was never intended to be Marxist or Maoist for that matter but was sort of a communist bureacracy that evolved out of a revolution instigated by disgruntled republicans and tree-hugging luddites in the face of globalisation and rampant corporate vandalism. Overall the system describe in the political stories is a very benign one for most people, despite the inherent bureaucratic corruption that emerges when the bureacracy becomes the sole power in the country and no longer subject to a parliament or an electoral system.

One of the reasons that I haven't developed these stories further is because the face of Australian politics has changed so much in the last ten or so years that I agree with you - a future totalitarian government is likely to be more Fascist in nature and an entity like the Bureau of State Security much more brutal in the methods they employ. A basically nice guy like Jerzhi Kapuscinski wouldn't stand a chance of getting employment in State Security under a Fascist government - he likes people too much.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:46 am:   

Crypto-System picked up a really good review over at Ideomancer. Thank you Mr Battersby.
http://www.ideomancer.com/main/ideoMain.htm

Andrew Hook
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 12:29 pm:   

My review of Tales From The Crypto-System is now online at the Infinity Plus website. I thoroughly enjoyed it...

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 08:04 pm:   

Thanks Andrew, that's a really nice review. I'm pleased that you like it. I've been getting a lot of positive feedback on the collection lately, so hopefully this means more people are reading it.

cheers

Geoff

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 04:32 am:   

Crypto System gets another review in the latest edition of Aurealis. It's a good one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration