Thoughts on the mechanics of LORDS OF... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Nazarian, Vera » Thoughts on the mechanics of LORDS OF RAINBOW « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 03:17 pm:   

Thoughts on the mechanics of LORDS OF RAINBOW...

I got the idea for this novel back in 1984, the summer of my high school graduation, while watching a TV commercial for a kids' toy, a silly doll.

I finished writing the first draft of the book on Christmas night of 1998 (I think?) I know it was a Christmas. Since then the book has gone through at least three drafts, and the last draft was turned in some time in 2002. Anyway, that makes it about 18 years from conception to publication.

A world without color.

It came as a sudden flash of insight and beauty -- what if an essential aspect of our world got taken away? I thought of black and white movies, of Ansel Adams prints, the fine sharp lines and crisp contrast, the lace detail, the smooth airbrush gradation flows of shadow to light.

No color.

Just a progression of light along a single scale.

And then it occurred to me that there really is no absolute black or white either, and that everything is just a monochrome shade in a given range of light to dark. And the amazing thing is, this range was not fixed, but was a fluid thing dependent upon viewer perception, the current existing light conditions, and a whole lot of other variables.

So, take away black and white also, and all that is left is pseudo-black, pseudo-white, and a whole lot of silver.

And so I wrote it, using no color terms to describe things, only surface texture and shapes, matte versus reflective surfaces.

However, color was a presence in this world, only it was a weird alien thing, a sorcerous thing, a pasted-on thing. Colors were artificial constructs of the Light Guild, filling glass orbs and illuminating expensive establishments.

And then there was the philosopy of Rainbow. Not a religion, but a state of mind.

http://www.veranazarian.com/lor.htm

More in the next post...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 01:59 pm:   

I'm looking forward to more. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration