Forthcoming stuff Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Nazarian, Vera » Forthcoming stuff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 07:23 am:   

For the curious, this is what I have scheduled more or less for 2003:

My second novel, LORDS OF RAINBOW is actually already obtainable from most online places, but the official publication date is March 2003, from Betancourt & Company which -- as some of you may know -- is the new main imprint of Wildside Press.

LORDS is an epic traditional (or not) epic fantasy about a world without color, somewhat in the vein of Jacqueline Carey's KUSHIEL'S DART. Here is some info on it:

http://www.LordsOfRainbow.com/

This book took me literally half a lifetime to write (and I mean, literally), and I am so embroiled in it mentally that I have trouble putting into words what the damn thing is about. After all this time, all I know is, it took a lot out of me in the making, and please, everyone go and get a copy because if you don't I would feel like I wasted half of my being for nothing. (How's that for existential guilt?)

In case you like taking personality online quizzes, I created a very in-depth personality color quiz based on LORDS OF RAINBOW. Enjoy!

http://www.veranazarian.com/lorquiz.htm

In the shorter length form I have a novelette called "The Young Woman In A House Of Old" forthcoming in STRANGE PLEASURES #2, edited by Paul Barnett and Dave Hutchinson, from Prime Books, sometime soon this year. It's a peculiar and darkish fantasy. And I do think it's one of my best works to date. :-)

KJ Bishop
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:47 am:   

Beautiful quiz, Vera. I'm green. Which is funny, because a couple of people have said I have a green aura.
(Though my favourite colour wasn't on the list. I like the colours midway between blue and green - teal, turquoise, peacock blue, etc. I always have to be difficult.)

I will go and get a copy of LORDS OF RAINBOW as soon as I have some cash.

I think books can be like vampires. They take some big part of your life - your time, your being - but, like vampires, they can make you live for centuries, if luck is also with you :-)

Luís
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 01:08 pm:   

And I'm blue. (Last I checked, my aura was transparent.)

Cheers, Luís

PS: Books take a big part of my money too . . .

Jorge
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:24 pm:   

Oh boy, I'm so blue for being blue!...

And this: You may be accused of being a know-it-all by individuals who are secretly envious of your ability to have all the answers, so be wary of coming across as tactless — or worse, heartless — when you dole out cold absolute facts. is soo true...

Now I'm off to make the test all over again and try to find my opposite... ;)

Jorge
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:33 pm:   

... and my opposite is... black... curious... :-)

KJ Bishop
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 04:21 pm:   

Hmm, my shadow is also ...black :-)

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 05:26 pm:   

Yeah, people envy me all the time for being blue too. I wonder if they go green with envy! :-)

Cheers,
Luís

Jay C
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 03:45 am:   

Hmm, that's interesting that I'm the opposite of you guys. As Vera already knows, I'm black. Ain't that the truth.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 09:38 am:   

KJ,

So glad you enjoyed the quiz! I really went all out for it, worked for about 3 months to create all the details. It started out as a book promo gimmick, but somehow it took on a life of its own, and many poeple found it helpful in the pop psych sense. :-) Please don't feel like you have to buy the book when money's tight -- I am just whining, you know. Ignore me. :-)

And all of you blue folks who are ruled by Koerdis: your result is the "intellectual" type, which is not something that is particularly surprising in this group.

Black is sort of the "undecided" color (or lack of, to be precise), so if you got black as your result it means you probably are in an "interim" state of mind right now, maybe due to a lot of life pressure. It is not bad (none of the results are), just as in my book LORDS OF RAINBOW there is no true evil in the ordinary sense.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 09:40 am:   

To add -- green is the "creative" type, and also the "hands on" type, in the sense of manipulating matter to create aesthetic order.

Jorge
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:46 am:   

So, you're saying I'm a skully yet lazy type, is that what you're saying, Vera? ;)

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 03:20 pm:   

Jorge,

I have seen the brainy part but the lazy, uhm, not sure about that. *grin*

Mike Jasper
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:50 am:   

Hey... I'm Yellow. Kinda cool, and the description fits. Nifty quiz, Vera!

benpeek
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 02:49 pm:   

i'm blue. but i don't wanna be blue. i don't want to accept reality! nooooo!

heh.

hello vera. *waves*

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 06:24 am:   

Hey Mike! Great to see you here (and welcome to your own forum topic on this board). :-) When I take the quiz myself, I am also Yellow. I did not plan for it that way, honest. But somehow it keeps on working out this way, repeatedly. So, I suppose that makes you and me Holy Fools. Criminy!

Hi, benpeek! You know you want to be Blue. You know it. Nice Intellectual Blue. ;-)

ben peek
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:09 pm:   

nah, nice confused, and undecided black. that's what i wanted. or pink. was there a pink? a bubble gum pink if i could pick...

(oh, and just ben will do. i really should have put a space between the two. perhaps i shall. hmm.)

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:08 pm:   

Awwright, sorry about that "benpeek", Ben -- I am assuming? Initially thought it was some kind of neato nickname. Kinda like Bo Peep. ;-) Finding it v. funny.

Damn! Am talking VSD again and cannot stop!

ben peek
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:16 pm:   

maybe i'll change it to bo peep, though i don't really like sheep. you can't win can you? it's either this or that or nothing.

maybe i'll call myself eddie.

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 06:55 pm:   

I'm violet. . .

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:21 pm:   

Ok, time for more forthcoming stuff...

I have a short story collection forthcoming from Prime / Wildside in 2005. The title of the collection is SALT OF THE AIR which is a riff on the "salt of the earth" biblical image.

This collection is going to be strictly fantasy, not SF, and will sort of be the definitive grouping of all my published (and some unpublished) fantasy short fiction up-to-date, including stuff sold to markets that never surfaced. I also plan to write at least one new story to add to the lineup.

Cover art already been selected. Here it is, a lovely ethereal image done by artist A. R. Menne:

http://www.veranazarian.com/saltoftheair.jpg

And here is the artist's website:

http://www.zendinou.com/

Mastadge
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:16 am:   

Excellent news! Will "The Clock King and the Queen of the Hourglass" be collected in here, or is that too long for inclusion?

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:26 pm:   

Mastadge,

Good question....

Nope, The Clock King is almost novel length, just under 40K. In fact, you can call it a short novel or a very long novella.

So it would not fit.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 03:57 am:   

PS Publishing usually retains all rights for one year . . . so "The Clock King and the Queen of the Hourglass" could be included in something else or published alone sometime in two years.

Sean

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:33 pm:   

Sean,

Yeah, that makes good sense.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration