Welcome, all! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Nazarian, Vera » Welcome, all! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 07:06 pm:   

Thanks to Jeff VanderMeer and the good folks of Night Shade Books, I see I have my own virtual corner here, with some marvelous neighborhood company.

*waves!*

:-)

Vera
www.veranazarian.com

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   

Howdy, Vera. Thanks for being here. What are you up to lately?

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 01:51 am:   

Well, well, well! Welcome, young lady. I hope you have a fun and glorious time here.

JeffV
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:23 am:   

Hi, Vera! I wonder--have you read K. J. Bishop's work? I think you'd like it.

Also, what are you working on? A new novel? Stories?

KJ Bishop
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:58 am:   

Talk about synchronicity. Found you! A few months ago I came across 'Dreams of a Compass Rose' online. I thought it sounded marvellous, wrote down the details... then lost the piece of paper. All I could remember was that the title had the word 'rose' in it, and that your name had a 'v' and a 'z'.
But presto, here you are! So now the holes in my memory are filled in, and I can order the book :-)

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:20 am:   

Thanks for the great welcome, Stepan, Jay, Jeff, and KJ!

Really, I didn't mean to go away for a week, but things got crazy, and I really wanted to do a nice introductory post, but oh well. Will do one now!

Stepan, do you realize you and I met a couple of worldcons ago where we sat at the same autographing table and I got you to sign my program booklet since I didn't have a copy of THE TROIKA? I still need to get a copy, and then somehow magically transfer that signature over to the book. Or maybe not; maybe I should just get one from you at our next meeting? :-)

EBJ, thanks to you here I am having a lovely time! :-)

Jeff, I am so embarrassed to say I have not encountered K. J. Bishop's work, but now I will look for it! And speaking of the devil, here is K. J. Bishop -- welcome, welcome! And LOL, thanks so much for remembering even a miniscule portion of my novel's title, and I hope that the book entertains you if you ever get your hands on it.

Before anyone goes spending money, here is a free excerpt of one of the chapters (Dream 2) of DREAMS OF THE COMPASS ROSE on Infinity Plus:

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/compassrose.htm

And here is a full 5 chapter extended free excerpt on Fictionwise:

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook8865.htm

And here is the complete e-book for sale:

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook8917.htm

And finally here is where you can get more info on the book in general, my website for it:

http://www.veranazarian.com/dotcr.htm

Notice how I so thoughtfully and considerately included this in order of cheapest to more expensive? Okay, next post will be a formal introduction of sorts since I am such a formal gal. *snort*

:-)

Vera

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   

Vera, the extracts from Compass Rose have persuaded me that the book is as beautiful as its title. It's on my next Amazon order.

Btw, have you ever read Evan S. Connell's 'Points for a Compass Rose'?

Don't be embarrassed that you haven't seen my work <g>! I'm so obscure that *I* haven't seen my work. Etched City has only been out for a couple of weeks, and my stories have only been published here in Australia.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 07:23 pm:   

KJ,

Why, thank you muchly! :-)

And drat, there goes another item to add to my to-read pile -- no, I have not read the Connell book either, though I have heard mention of it here and there.

As for your being obscure, not for long, I say!

KJ Bishop
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 08:22 pm:   

Vera - Connell has another book which is similar to 'Compass Rose', called 'Notes from a Bottle Found on the Beach at Carmel', and it's better, I think. It's certainly less gloomy. They're both great long fragmentary prose poems.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 06:24 am:   

Yikes! Another good book to add to the Mountain!

As far as DREAMS, it is actually not gloomy in the overall scheme of things it handles, but it is "just." As in, fair. As in, it shows darkness and it shows the way darkness can be changed. I'd say a very optimist book, really. :-)

If you can get through the whole thing, you'll find there is a mathematical structure to it, a kind of temporal and karmic knot almost.

It's actually a pretty simple book in terms of narrative, but it is layered in causality.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration