I am Interviewed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Nazarian, Vera » I am Interviewed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 02:55 pm:   

I've been interviewed in a number of online places over the last couple of years, and figure that this might be a good place to list them all.

The most recent interview went up about a week ago, and is listed on the bottom.

Infinity Plus Interview by Nick Gevers:

http://www.iplus.zetnet.co.uk/nonfiction/intvn.htm

Vision #8 Interview by Lazette Gifford:

http://fmwriters.com/Visionback/issue8/Interview.htm

Suite101.com Fantasy Worlds Interview by Debbie Ledesma (Nov 21, 2003):

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/3080/104118

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 08:18 pm:   

Great interviews, Vera! I particularly enjoyed reading your views on Tolkien and consolation. I sometimes think that even dystopian fantasy is comehow consolatory for the reader, in that it gives you the sense of there being more worlds than our own; of humanity and the earth not being all alone in the night, as it were. Even if it's just us and a bunch of bogeymen, we'd prefer that to utter solitude. Or, perhaps, dystopian fantasy takes harshness out of the real world, where it hurts, and puts it in a sort of playground where we can, if we like, identify with the villains and the bullies, or at least watch them with interest rather than fear...?

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   

Thanks for the kind words, Kirsten! :-)

Yup, fantasy as consolation has been one of those hot-button topics for some time now ever since the New Weird came into its own. It't about time the argument on behalf of the other side was heard. Seems to me that always there needs to be a balanced mixture of rebellion and tradition, and it is neither fair not truly open-minded to fully reject or embrace either one.

And I do like your take on the hidden consolatory nature of dystopian fantasy!

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 04:15 pm:   

And here is another interview that went up in May 2004 up on SF Crowsnest.

I admit, this is the funniest one I've done yet....

Interview title is "Dreaming of the Compass Rose" and the intrepid interviewer is Donna Jones:

http://www.computercrowsnest.com/sfnews2/04_may/news0504_1.shtml

Thomas R
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 05:51 pm:   

Neat, the Shakespeare thing was cute. I can't quite finish it now though as I'm going to have a late supper.

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 06:01 pm:   

LORDS OF RAINBOW is still waiting for me at home. I keep not quite managing to squeeze it in. I'll definitely get to it within a couple weeks after my final exams.

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 06:12 pm:   

Thomas,

Glad you are enjoying the interview! You know, that whole thing about Shakespeare's Perdita is amazingly funny in Russian. My mother, who was a high school Russian language and literature teacher back in Russia, and who really is very polite-spoken (and I mean, very -- she does not use swear words at all), would always excuse herself when she had to talk about this particular character in the play. She would say, "Perdita -- pardon me -- is ..."

*grin*

Mastadge,

Hey, take your time! And when you do get to it, let me know how you like it. LORDS OF RAINBOW is the book dearest to my heart, so I am hoping you do enjoy reading it. And that goes for all of you, folks!

:-)

Vera

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration