Novel Dare -- Daily Excerpts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Nazarian, Vera » Novel Dare -- Daily Excerpts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 03:55 am:   

What? Who am I?

She thought this as the power continued to surge, pulsing in every cell of her body, ears ringing. Only this time there was amazement since, instead of drowning, Margaret was soaring thirty feet in the air, high above the waves. The cruise ship was at least half a mile away and already receding into the distance while the sun had just broken over the metallic horizon.

"You are probably wondering what the hell's going on," said a calm kid's voice right behind her. "I know I was totally freaked out the first time I did it, too."

Still suspended in the air, Margaret turned her head and saw the boy who had jumped in. He was floating in the air about two feet away from her, hands folded, sneakers and socks waterlogged, t-shirt and shorts dripping wet, hair plastered to his skinny face, and a sly grin on his face.

That's when it hit her all at once, and Margaret screamed.

. . .

Excerpt from today's new material, MARGOT PHOENIX RISING, Chapter 2:

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 04:30 am:   

EXCERPT from MARGOT PHOENIX RISING, Chapter 2:

Andy shrugged. He really was just a kid, looking no older than his early teens, scrunching up his nose and squinting in the quickly brightening glow of the dawn sky. "Yeah, I know it's hard. Sorry, lady. Sorry you had to go through it. But at least you just got to almost drown, while I got beaten to a pulp first by a bunch of school bullies who left me in an alley behind some dumpsters. When I transitioned, my body was so messed up that when I flew home my mom nearly had a heart attack seeing me hover on the doorstep. Okay, I mean, I wasn't really hovering obviously or anything, I just pretended I was standing up on my own, so as not to scare her. But I just looked like crap, you know...."

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 04:07 am:   

EXCERPT from COBWEB BRIDE, Chapter 2:

Like the wind the man came riding. He swept through the darkness of the village Oarclaven, waking Percy from her freezing sleep as she sat on her father's porch.

He wore red and gold, muted by the night and yet the design of his livery and the pennant he bore was recognizable as the Duke Vitalio Goraque's own colors.

"Neither side wins!" he cried. "It's a riot, but neither side wins! Witchcraft and unholy abomination is upon us!"

. . .

"Keep going," Margaret said. "That guy, those swords, those bad guys, that 'it' thing you have."

"It's not funny," said Andy. "You have no idea--"

"Exactly. I have no idea what anything is and until you tell me everything, including more about why I breathed water like a fish and then flew in the air like an airplane just half an hour ago -- until I know more, this is all ridiculous crap. Let's start with who that injured man was, and that woman with a sword, and why were they fighting over you."

. . .

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:41 am:   

EXCERPT from COBWEB BRIDE, Chapter 2:

As the light outside deepened, there were harsh sounds of metal and many horses -- heavy cavalry. The Duke's knights were returning.

Niobea looked up once, slowly, her gaze drawn to the windows, but she did not go to open the shutters. This was an ongoing wake and death was in the house. Or so she thought.

. . .

"Oh, I need to use the bathroom," said Andy, thinking lightning-fast, and before Margaret could blink he moved into the tiny closet and locked the door behind him. He was good.

Angie frowned and gave Margaret a look.

They opened the cabin and there were two crewmen wearing security uniforms.

. . .

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration