Website update, preorders, and other ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Monkeybrain » Website update, preorders, and other news « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick Klaw
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:21 pm:   

Since Chris is awfully busy/slow (take your pick) to post announcements here, I'll help him out...

The Monkeybrain, Inc website has been updated to include covers and preorder information for Matthew Rossi's Things That Never Were and Rick Klaw's Geek Confidential: Echoes From the 21st Century. There is also important news about Heroes & Monsters and a forthcoming appearances list for the contributors.

If there's more, Chris will just have to tell you himself.

Jess Nevins
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:50 am:   

Thanks for the update, Rick! I'm looking forward to getting your book.

Rick Klaw
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 08:20 am:   

As I am of yours... except everytime I see Chris he forgets it... and now he's out of stock... *grumble grumble*

Mr Cheese
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 08:22 am:   

I am the cheese habit.

The comments I make are so... mature!

Jess Nevins
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 09:32 am:   

Rick--

E-mail me your address and I'll mail you a copy.

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 09:45 am:   

Will Things That Never Were and Geek Confidential be on sale at Readercon?

Rick Klaw
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 06:46 pm:   

When exactly is Readercon? GC will be at ArmadilloCon (first weekend in August).

Rick

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:09 pm:   

Readercon is this upcoming weekend, July 11-13.

JK

Rick Klaw
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:23 pm:   

Then the answer is no. Both books just went to press this week. Sorry.

Rick

Matt Rossi
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 03:44 am:   

I hasten to add that you can pre-order both fantastic books (and buy Jess' as well) on the site. You'll note Jess doesn't want to get a copy of my book, which may mean he's read it already. Anyway, hopefully you'll buy them all and the upcoming line of Monkeybrain books, thus ensuring the press becomes a powerful force for world domination.

Jess Nevins
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:31 am:   

Of COURSE I want a copy of your book, Matt. I've been really interested in it since Chris told me about it. But I didn't know you were here, is all.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 08:44 am:   

Hey, world domination. I like that.

Chris Roberson
MonkeyBrain, Inc.
http://www.monkeybrainbooks.com

Mike S.
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:43 am:   

> I hasten to add that you can pre-order both
> fantastic books (and buy Jess' as well) on the
> site.

Yeah yeah yeah, but I want NOW.

Fine.

Matt Rossi
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 01:41 pm:   

Sorry, Jess, I just like to tease. I'm a prankster, like Yahweh out hiding dinosaur bones to fuck with our heads.

And yes, doesn't world domination sound like a great idea? God knows the chuckleheads running it now seem completely lost. Time for new blood, I say. The Illuminati have been great and all, but they're behind the times. Monkeybrain is the future of global domination.

Jess Nevins
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 01:43 pm:   

Dibs on the Middle East!

I can sort it out, I know I can.

(You're a prankster, I like uttering famous last words...together, we fight crime!)

Matt Rossi
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:32 pm:   

Springheel Jack and Charles Dodgson, this fall on UPN! (Poor doomed UPN)

And if you want the Middle East, by all means. Me, I've got my eyes on Australia. Good enough for Lex Luthor means good enough for me.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 07:56 am:   

If I understand correctly, HEROES AND MONSTERS covers just the first series of LOEG, are there plans to have a follow-up book when this next series is completed?

JK

Jess Nevins
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 07:58 am:   

Oh yes. Moore's already agreed to it. I don't want to stop working on the Victoriana book to work on the second League book, though, so the second League book may not appear until sometime next year. We'll see, though.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:01 am:   

Victoriana book? Where have I missed this being mentioned?

JK

Chris Roberson
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:20 am:   

_Fantastic Victoriana: An Enyclopedia of Victorian Fiction_, Jess' *mammoth* reference work on, well, Victorian fiction, is scheduled for mid-year, 2004. It's listed in the "coming in 2004" section, towards the bottom of the MonkeyBrain site's front page.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:23 am:   

Someone from UPN should hire Rossi to develop programming for them. Hell, *I'd* tune in to watch Springheel & Carroll: The New Adventures.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:21 am:   

Man, you have some fantastic stuff coming out. I need to take out a loan or something to get all the great books I want!

JK

Chris Roberson
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:10 am:   

Thanks, John. Luckily, we're going to be doing the Victorian encyclopedia in two editions: a lower cost trade paperback (likely split over two volumes), and a higher end gargantuan hard-cover (targeted to academic and library use). We aim to please.

Speaking of fantastic stuff, we're close to finalizing a deal we've had in the works for most of this year, that I'm *really* excited about. With any luck, we'll be able to announce right after we get back from the San Diego Comic-Con. A somewhat niche offering, but somewhere inside there's the twelve-year-old me holding his breath in anticipation.

Matt Rossi
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:11 am:   

Hell, I'm not proud. If UPN is reading this, call me. I can bang out a script as soon as I find my copy of Syd Field.

And if you're holding your breath in anticipation, Chris, I'm both scared and curious.

Luís Rodrigues
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:31 am:   

Curse you people. Can't you do at least one book that I don't feel like I must have? :-)

Oh well, congrats for the stellar line-up!

Dickon Edwards
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 06:46 pm:   

Many thanks to Monkeybrain and Mr Nevins for H&M, which arrived swiftly here in the UK (at a very reasonable shipping rate too) less than a week after I ordered it online.

It's excellent stuff. For those who haven't read it yet, the annotations themselves even have their OWN annotations by Kevin O'Neill (who seems even more well-read than Mr Moore), confirming or denying Mr Nevin's spotting of references, or admitting the (very occasional!) times where he drew something wrongly, or where he put something anachronistic in for his own amusement.

Mr Nevins even includes annotations on the material that frustratingly isn't in the Titan Books / ABC comics collected graphic novel edition of LoEG Vol 1, like the board game which featured in some ABC comics special. So one can enjoy the allusions without the comic. In fact, you don't HAVE to have the graphic novel of LEOG to hand at all, the Nevins book reads fine as a stand-alone guide to the sources used.

Plus there's a lengthy interview with Mr Moore, and an introduction by Moore too. On top of THAT, there's three essays by Mr Nevins on archetypes in literature as personified by the main characters, the history of the "crossover" genre (eg Homer putting all the myths together in one story), and a piece on the "Yellow Peril" genre as referred to by the Fun Manchu plot of LEOG Vol 1. All with full reading lists, too! Whew!

In the interview, Mr Moore compares Mr Nevins to a "fine screen. Things that would sail by most people and references that might be lost, you can catch any of those balls and bounce them back at the readers."

It's true - and because of Mr Nevins, many LoEG readers have been inspired to seek out the original books, not least myself with "The Beetle". And needless to add I'll be buying his Victoriana book too.

Congrats on the selling out of the first printing - justly deserved.

A final thought - despite its "unoffical guide" subtitle, "Heroes & Monsters" is fully approved of and even contributed to by Messrs Moore & O'Neill. Which is a darn sight more than the movie is...

Lou Anders
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:02 pm:   

Hey,
is there a sequel to Heroes & Monsters planned? scheduled? Isn't the second League trade coming out in the next few months?

Chris Roberson
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:45 pm:   

Lou,

Yep. We've got a companion for the second LOEG series scheduled for release next summer, timed to debut at the 2004 San Diego International Comic Con. We've just got confirmation from the lovely and talented Mr. Picacio that he'll again be providing the covers. So there.

Rick Klaw
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 07:55 pm:   

Is this part when we talk about what a snazzy dresser John is?

Matt Rossi
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 11:28 pm:   

Or how when he enters a room, women want him and men want to be him? Because I'm down with that.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register