MonkeyBrain, Inc. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Monkeybrain » MonkeyBrain, Inc. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Roberson
Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 06:59 pm:   

Howdy, y'all, from the great state of Texas.

For those who've never heard either of myself or MonkeyBrain (which is many, I'd imagine), a few quick words of introduction.

My name is Chris Roberson, and I'm the publisher of MonkeyBrain, Inc. That's enough about me...

MonkeyBrain is a new independent publishing imprint which specializes in genre-related nonfiction material: scholarly works on comics, book length surveys of the fantasy genre, collections of essays on book selling, et cetera.

Our first title is due to ship late May '03, and is Jess Nevins' book length analysis of Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill's comic series _The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen_, with introduction, interviews, and commentary by creators Moore and O'Neill. Future titles include a collection of essays on the booksellers trade by Rick Klaw, and an expanded and revised edition of Michael Moorcock's watershed survey of the high fantasy genre, _Wizardy & Wild Romance_.

For more information, check out our website at http://www.monkeybrainbooks.com . At the moment, it's little more than brochure-ware, but we'll be updating it with news and announcements as the year progresses.

We'd particularly like to thank Jason, Jeremy, and Nightshade for being kind enough to make room for our little outfit on their discussion boards, and to Jeff VanderMeer for wrangling the invite. A class act, gentlemen.

Mike Simanoff
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 09:57 am:   

Thanks for bringing Jess Nevins' annotations to print! I'm looking forward to that.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 01:45 pm:   

Thanks, Mike. And wait till you see the swell John Picacio cover for the thing. Or read Moore's incredibly complementary introduction. I don't think Jess touched the ground again for weeks after seeing that.

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 03:44 pm:   

Hi, Chris. The Extraordinary project sounds great.

Mike Simanoff
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:42 pm:   

Chris,

According to Jess's Web site, you're publishing his Fantastic, Mysterious, and Adventurous Victoriana stuff in 2004 as The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana. I can't wait for this either. He's put so much work into those notes; I'm glad you see their value. It's going to be one of those reference books, like the Encyclopedia Britannica, that you can pick up and just read for fun.

Mike

Chris Roberson
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:48 pm:   

Howdy, Jeff.

Speaking of the League book (_Heroes & Monsters_), I'm really proud of the package that Jess and I have put together. I'm a great admirer of Alan Moore's work, but one of the things that surprised me most in speaking with him about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was the way in which Jess' annotations online helped to influence and shape the amazing work that Moore and O'Neill were doing. Knowing that a scholar of Nevin's caliber was out there identifying all of their osbcure references drove the creators to ever dizzying heights of obscurity, making the work that much richer and more complex in the process.

From Moore's introduction: “The patient work contained within this current volume has played an important part in the construction of this vast, imaginary global edifice that we’re constructing, and will certainly be an invaluable guide to any reader, no matter how knowledgeable they may like to think themselves...”

It's hard to imagine a greater compliment for a scholar than to hear that their work has filtered back into and influenced the very thing they've devoted their time to studying.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:53 pm:   

Mike,

Yep, if I get my way, MonkeyBrain will eventually release the full Jess Nevin's Scholarly Library. I'm really looking forward to seeing his Victoriana Encyclopedia on the shelf, and his Pulp Encyclopedia, and the companion to the second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and so on, and so on...

What absolutely amazed me when Jess and I first closed the deal was that no other publisher had ever thought to contact him. He's been sweating blood to amass all this great information for years, purely for love of his subject matter, and I'm just glad that MonkeyBrain is in a position to bring his work to a wider audience.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:04 pm:   

When/Where will we be able to order this stuff? Should I just keep checking the site?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register