Quietly gobsmacked Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Monkeybrain » Quietly gobsmacked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt Rossi
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 01:34 pm:   

Finally got my copies of my book...it looks great, John and Chris and Allison all did excellent work, as did Deb on the proofreading/editing end. It feels strange to finally have the thing, but if you like a well crafted book there's no reason on earth not to buy this.

I've also heard tell the writing pretty weird, but so far it seems normal enough to me.

John Picacio
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 05:44 pm:   

Hey, Matt!

Congrats on your book, man! I'm proud to have been a part of it!

You're a freaking genius.

Hey, I don't know who's reading this, but I know Chris and Allison (the publishers) are too humble to trumpet their own work. So I'm going to take off my cover illustrator hat and say something about this book.

Here's a shoutout to anyone who's reading this -- if you're a writer of genre fiction of ANY sort, Matt's book THINGS THAT NEVER WERE is must-read material. No jive. This book is positively Borgesian in its labyrinthian idea-making. It's a collection of vignettes and musings that just oozes with potential tangential ideas of mythology and history that can be expounded upon by anyone who's paying attention and is talented enough to expand the territory that Matt trailblazes in this book.

If you don't believe me, ask Alan Beatts at Borderlands Books in San Francisco what he thinks of it. Alan's a no-bullshit kinda guy. Alan is immune to bullshit. He knows the industry like the back of his hand. He'll tell you what he thinks about this book. Straight up from the frontlines.

http://www.borderlands-books.com/

Or you can just make it easy on yourself and check out MonkeyBrain's website to get more details and order the book.

http://www.monkeybrainbooks.com/Things_That_Never_Were.html

Don't say I didn't warn you when this book sells out!

Matt Rossi
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 01:13 am:   

Well, first off, thank you very much, John. I'd tell you that *you* are a genius, but anyone who goes and looks at the cover you did for my book already knows that.

Ironically, I've often been to Borderlands Books, back when I lived in San Francisco. It's where I got my copy of Dhalgren, I think. I've never met Alan to my knowlege. Too bad. I wrote at least two of the essays in the book (Cattle of the Mind and And What Is Passed, Or Passing, Or To Come) on the Muni and BART between my place and Borderlands. Interesting.

I'd like to think I myself am going to expound on a few of the ideas from the book...but if someone else gets something out of it, I wouldn't complain too much, either.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register