Wiscon, anyone? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Aguirre, Forrest » Wiscon, anyone? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Forrest
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:48 am:   

I'm wondering who all besides Robert Wexler, Carol Emshwiller, and Timmi Duchamp and I will be at Wiscon? I hope to make time for my soon-to-be-famous tour of downtown Madison.

Forrest

John Klima
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:59 am:   

Do you go to Chocolate Coyote? Or Red Shed? Or Monday's? What about B-Side Records?

JK

Forrest
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:56 pm:   

Chocolate Coyote and B-Side are worth the trip. Gotta hit Memorial Union, Monona Terrace, the scifi bookstore (for the life of me, I can never remember its name), Canterbury Books, the Great Dane, and Essen Haus. At least. Oh, and library mall, though it's much more tame in the evening than during the heat of the day (I think this has something to do with brain addling)!

Forrest

PS: Are you coming, John?

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:59 pm:   

I'm not going, but I'm having lunch tomorrow with Angelica Gorodischer, who is coming all the way from Argentina to attend Wiscon with Le Guin. I think the distance alone merits some kind of prize....

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:03 am:   

I can't make it this year. Memorial Day weekend is when my wife's high school throws their prom and she chaperones. I could go by myself, but that leaves my wife home alone for three days while I'm back in our home state. I don't feel that's fair, and I don't need to come home to that bad karma. Wish I could be there.

The SF book store. Do you mean the one that's across the street from the Rag Shop that has a teal awning? If so, that was an average used bookstore when I was in college. There used to be a great SF bookstore near the capitol building called 21st Century Books, but it wasn't there a year ago when I was home last.

JK

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:06 am:   

No, 21st Century went out of business right after I moved here in the mid-90s. This one is different. Ah, here we go: Alternate Realities Bookstore, 310 State Street. A couple doors down from Himal Chuli, not far from Bull Feathers.

Forrest

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:50 am:   

Hmmm, don't think I've ever been there. What else is near by? I spent my last year in college libing above Victor Allen's coffee house, in the location that is now a juice shop. It's right across the street from Happy Medium, unless it's gone, too. Wish I could be there. :_(

JK

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:50 am:   

Of course, I mean 'living' not 'libing.' And, of course, 'libations' were a way of life while I studied.

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   

Yes, most students still pour libations then worship at the altar of the porcelain god. And, to help you get your bearings, the scifi bookstore is a few doors away from Chocolate Coyote, towards the capital.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:41 am:   

I would swear I've never been to Alternate Realities, but I was just sorting through some boxes of books, and found a business card from them. Don't remember visiting.

JK

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:12 am:   

Hence the name Alternate Realities . . .

Forrest

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 06:16 pm:   

Who's coming this year? Last year was a crazed orgy of deprivation led by Alan DeNiro's rendition of "Wanted Dead or Alive". Names, people, I need names!

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 06:23 pm:   

I didn't get his name, Forrest, sorry...oh, you mean *this* year...right...um, well, me.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 05:36 am:   

Not I, unfortunately, but I will be there for World Fantasy.

JK

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 11:48 am:   

No John? Damn. So much for another crazed orgy of deprivation. :-( And I had hoped we could make Caligula proud.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 08:19 am:   

ONe of these years I need to make it back. However, this year is a banner year for me for travelling: AZ in March (visiting family), Glasgow in August, and WI in November for World Fantasy. I don't think I can make another trip in there. Plus trips to western MA to pick up the zine. It's a lot.

Have fun without me! :-(

JK

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:47 am:   

Here's my Wiscon schedule:

Close But No Cigar: Non-Genre Fiction that's "Secretly" SF&F (Reading SF&F)
Friday, 8:45-10:00 p.m. in Senate A

Mainstream writers generally hate being accused of writing SF or fantasy, but there's a lot of work that SF&F fans would claim as their own. There's also a lot of fiction (feminist or otherwise) that is probably missed because it's not marketed as, or shelved with, SF&F. Examples are Running Fiercely Toward a High Thin Sound, Mama Day, Sula, and much of the work of such authors as Marge Piercy, Margaret Atwood and Jeanette Winterson. Let's discuss these books and the ways in which they are, or are not, "really science fiction." What's to be gained or lost from making these assertions/connections?

Cross Genre Laboratory (Readings)
Saturday, 1:00-2:15 p.m. in Conference Room 2

We are naught but simple authors.
Robert F. Wexler, Deborah Layne, Nani S Boyce, Forrest John Aguirre

Common Neo–Pro Mistakes (Writing SF&F: The Craft)
Saturday, 4:00-5:15 p.m. in Conference Room 4

Authors who made a sale or two and are feeling stalled, studied the craft long enough that they're no longer making beginner's level errors: what should they be looking out for in their writing now?

Other than that, I'll mostly be at the Wheatland Press/Raw Dog Screaming tables in the book room. Be sure to stop by, say hello, chat, buy a book or two, rant, vent, complain, praise, laud, whatever. It's likely that I'll only be there a very limited time on Sunday, but I'll be there all day Saturday and, likely, most of the day Friday (if not all day). I might even stop in for a Thursday night suaree (how do you spell that word?).

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 07:47 am:   

See you all tomorrow!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register