Fantasy in the short fiction mainstream Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Aguirre, Forrest » Fantasy in the short fiction mainstream « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 09:54 am:   

I posted the message below on my "Welcome" board and would like to resurrect the thread, as I've recently read the newest issue of PARIS REVIEW and was so impressed with stories there by Shelley Jackson and Brian Evenson that I couldn't let this thread die. Thanks to those who replied to this post the first time. Here is the old post:

"So I've all but given up on most speculative fiction magazines for consistantly good fiction. I'm quickly turning to the experimental literary mainstream for what I consider the best fantastical fiction. Some reviews/magazines lead the way (in no particular order):

3RD BED
BLACK WARRIOR REVIEW
THE JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL FICTION
MCSWEENEY'S
TRI-QUARTERLY
DENVER QUARTERLY
CONJUNCTIONS (*NOT* the fabulist issue)

This has been a public service announcement of Forrest Aguirre."

And my new comments:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the best fantastical fiction is to be found in several literary "mainstream" magazines and reviews, like those listed above, who are taking chances with their readers and authors. Any opinions on the matter? I'd love to hear them!

Alan DeNiro
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 12:06 pm:   

(Recussitating the long-dead topic)

Forrest, I just now have a fabulist-type story appearing in One Story, so you can add them to this list. I know they've published weird-ish things in other issues as well.

Mike Jasper
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 05:44 am:   

From Nick Mamatas' discussion, sort of related, but geared more towards writers than readers:

Other mags that to me appear to be open to genre stuff (I'm working up a list, and some of these I haven't read in a looong time) -- ZOETROPE, MISSOURI REVIEW, MISSISSIPPI REVIEW, GLIMMER TRAIN, INDY MEN'S MAG (a new one), ADBUSTERS (short, political), NEW YORKER, PEDESTAL. This is off the top of my head, mostly, and ignores the lesser-known places...

Forrest
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 09:29 pm:   

HARPUR PALATE is another one I've discovered recently. A good mix of mainstream and speculative stories are to be had there. The previous editor, Toiya Kristen Finley, went to great lengths, it seems, to establish a university-based literary journal that was and is open to all forms and genres. Kudos to Ms. Finley!

I also know that MID-AMERICAN REVIEW will sometimes run work with hints of speculative elements in them.

I'd really love to see your list when it's done.

Forrest

Mike Jasper
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 06:42 am:   

Forrest -- I'm still plucking away at it. I'll let you know when it's ready! Hopefully by the weekend.

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 12:41 pm:   

Hi, all. Just found this gem at the Black Warrior Review Website. I'm curious to know what people think. I might just post links to stories here from time to time that I've found in mainstream/experimental lit online mags and ask for comments. We'll start here with Jim Rutland's "The Previous Adventures of Popeye the Sailor". So read on, and comment away:

http://webdelsol.com/bwr/30.1/popeye.htm

Forrest

Forrest
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:46 pm:   

This week, one from Quarter After Eight, by an author/poet whom I consider to be among the top contemporary surrealists, Christine Boyka Kluge, It's titled "Falling Moon, Rising Stars":

http://www.english.ohiou.edu/qae/submissions/SUBMISSION21.HTML

Enjoy!

Forrest

Forrest
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   

It's been a while, but here is another piece, this time by author Norman Lock. Lock's work can be found in a lot of places (do a google search under his name and you'll find a bazillion stories out there by him - really, a bazillion, I swear!), but I particularly like this piece called "In the Time of the Comet" at Barcelona Review:

http://www.barcelonareview.com/16/e_nl.htm

Forrest

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:09 am:   

Yet another. This time from SALT HILL, a great review out of Syracuse that embraces surrealist and experimental work. This story is a surrealist piece in tone more than anything else, but is richly textued and worth your while. Take the time to read "Three Reservations" by Terese Svoboda:

http://students.syr.edu/salthill/svoboda.html

Forrest

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:39 am:   

Leviathan 4 contributor Darla Beasley wrote this piece, entitled "The Revolt of the Abyssinian Maid," for Stickman Review a ways back. In fact, it was this piece that caught my attention and compelled me to find out more about her writing, which led to her submitting work for consideration in Leviathan, which led to her excellent story "The City of Lost Languages" appearing therein.

http://www.stickmanreview.com/Volume_One__Number_Two/Contents-V1N2/Darla_Beasley -The_Revolt_of_th/darla_beasley-the_revolt_of_th.html

Sorry for the long URL. It's worth cutting and pasting into your address bar, if you need to.

Forrest

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:45 pm:   

Here is a piece I recently heard Brian Evenson read, at Notre Dame University's &NOW conference. Brian stated later that this was an attempt to revisit and revitalize the old classic mystery tale. Post Road Magazine was wise enough to help it see print, and it also appears in Brian's newest collection: The Wavering Knife. Enjoy "White Square":

http://www.postroadmag.com/Issue_3/Fiction3/FictionBEvenson.htm

Forrest

Alan
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   

Forrest, have you seen the new Conjunctions "dualism" issue? It has a story by Steve Erickson that looks really, really interesting.

Forrest
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:50 am:   

No, I haven't seen it yet. I'll check it out ASAP, though. It's on my list, but I'm trying to plug through some other books at the moment before they rot on my shelf. And please, feel free to share any others you find, Alan. The world will be a better place for it . . .

By the way, you *are* going to be at Wiscon, aren't you? I haven't taken the time to comb the boards to check yet.

In the meantime, here is another series by Norman Lock about various operas attended by famous figures of the late 19th- and early-20th century and the not-so-famous figure Joseph Cornell. This is a long series of vignettes, though each reads quickly, individually. If you're a fan of Rhys Hughes' work (as I am), I guarantee you'll like these whimsical catalog of operatic snippets:

http://elimae.com/ebooks/lock/operas.html

Forrest

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register