Balancing Editing/Fiction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Aguirre, Forrest » Balancing Editing/Fiction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Redding
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 06:14 pm:   

How do you manage to find the time to both write fiction and edit? Just curious.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Forrest
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:02 am:   

Good question! The balance is difficult - what I've found with my writing is that I tend to have powerful ideas come into my head "all at once". I'm careful to keep a small notebook of some kind with me at all times, as inspiration strikes suddenly. If at all possible, I'll stop what I'm doing, write a paragraph about the story idea or image that's infiltrated my head, and leave it. Then I can concentrate on the editing (I'm a fairly quick reader, which helps). Later, when I have a free moment (usually between 9PM and Midnight, after the kids are in bed), I'll take time to write a paragraph or two - or I might write an entire story in one sitting and just be up till odd hours of the morning.

The key, I think, is to be constantly thinking about the story you're either writing or editing. Inside my head is a very busy place - it sometimes drives me crazy! But I'm also sure to make down time to be with my family and/or be in the outdoors.

Does that satisfy your curiosity, Dan? I must admit, I'm really blessed to do both . . . and really tired a lot of the time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register