Dialogue -- in the movies and elsewhere Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Polyphony » Dialogue -- in the movies and elsewhere « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:38 pm:   

I just got through watching "Daddy and Them," a movie written and directed by Billy Bob Thorton. Anyhow, this one was about an Arkansas family quite different from the folk he portrayed in Sling Blade, but the dialogue (and relationships) were, based on my experience of the South, absolutely authentic. It's another Ordinary Southern People kind of thing -- small story, not in a hurry to be told. Many scenes where, as in life, you didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Here's what I don't get: why is it that so few movies and stories have dialogue that sounds like it could actually come out of a human mouth attached to a human who is part of a culture of some kind? Do screenwriters never even overhear conversations? Sheesh.

Jon Skovron
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:36 am:   

no, they all live in Los Angeles, which everyone knows doesn't have real people.

kidding.

well, sort of.

Sskippy the terrier
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:48 pm:   

hiya, hiya, hiya....

screenwriters have some of my favorite legs...
This should tell you something...

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:52 pm:   

Deborah,

Except for smallish productions like the Thornton film, most movies are afflicted with multiple screenwriters (the record to my knowledge is 36, but double figures are the rule not the exception), and the process of screenwriter after screenwriter going over the same page, trying to make the script "more accessible" scrubs every bit of individuality and vitality and verisimilitude from the words.

That's why....

Deborah
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 08:49 pm:   

Yeah, I figured it was something like that.

Let's launch a guerilla operation (or even a gorilla operation, hell, I'm flexible) and abduct a bunch of these guys and take 'em to Walmart and tie 'em up and plant 'em in different departments and make 'em sit there all day and listen to people talk.

Might not help the overall level of dialogue, but it'd be fun and you never know what might be on sale while we're there.

:-)

P.s. Hiya, Skipster -- how're the calves looking this summer?

skippy the terrier
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 09:33 pm:   

hiya hiya hiya.....

how're the calves this summer? Don't try to understand 'em, just...you know...

I'm so off the leash!!!!!

Lucius
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 09:42 pm:   

The writers aren't the problem. It's the studio heads who require abduction. But hey, if you wanta do a little crime....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register