POLYPHONY 4 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Polyphony » POLYPHONY 4 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jay Lake
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:36 am:   

June 2nd, 2003

POLYPHONY 4 Call for Submissions

Wheatland Press
P.O. Box 1818
Wilsonville, OR 97070

inquiries@wheatlandpress.com

Wheatland Press announces an open reading period for POLYPHONY 4, the fourth volume in the critically-acclaimed POLYPHONY anthology series. The publisher and editors are committed to finding outstanding cutting edge fiction from new writers as well as from established writers. We will be looking for stories that stretch (or break) the boundaries of traditional genres. Send us your magic realism, surrealism, literary stories with a genre sensibility, and other hard-to-classify stories with strong literary values, compelling characters, engaging tone and unique voice. If you really want to know what we are looking for, check out the previous volumes of POLYPHONY, available directly from Wheatland Press, genre booksellers or online booksellers.

We will accept submissions by lettermail only at our P.O. Box, postmarked from September 1st, 2003 through October 15th, 2003. Manuscripts received with a postmark date outside the designated reading period will be discarded unopened. Email submissions are welcome from overseas contributors. If you live in the United States and feel you must email a submission to us, please query first.

Please follow standard manuscript formatting and submission conventions, especially including no simultaneous or multiple submissions. Word count is open, but our preferred range is 4,000-10,000 words. If you are unfamiliar with standard manuscript formatting, please see the various essays and references under the heading "Manuscript Preparation" at:

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/

Some specifics based on prior experience.

1) No reprints. Not even if prior publication had limited or private distribution. If you feel you must submit a reprint, please query first. We'll still say "no," but it might make you feel better. Reprint submissions will be rejected unread.

2) Please use normal manuscript headers. Manuscripts without full author identification and contact information on the first page of the story will be rejected unread. This does not mean use a cover sheet, this means put your name and address in the upper left hand corner and the word count in the upper right hand corner, on the same page as the title and the first paragraph of the story. It also helps to put "by Your Name" under the title, just in case. As basic as this is, at least one story got rejected from the final reading round of a prior volume because it had become separated from its cover letter and we couldn't identify the author. Improperly identified manuscripts will be rejected unread.

3) Do not include copyrighted material in your story. Manuscripts which feature quotations from popular music or published authors will be rejected unread. It is difficult and expensive to clear rights for this sort of material, and the potential liabilities to both author and publisher are enormous. This is fiction. Make up your own material.

4) No multiple submissions. One story per author, please. If we want to see additional material from you, we will contact you. Multiple submissions from one author will be rejected unread. Please don't play games on this one, either.

5) By the same token, no simultaneous submissions. We won't hold your story for an unreasonable length of time, please allow us the privilege of being able to buy it.

6) If you are submitting by letter mail from overseas with a SASE, please supply AMERICAN stamps or a sufficient number of IRCs. Colorful as they are, foreign stamps are not accepted by the United States Postal Service. Enclosing cash for return postage is not helpful either, because that is another transaction we have to deal with. We will also be happy to reply by email to overseas subs, even those that come by letter mail.

7) There is no need to summarize or sell your story in the cover letter. We're not buying cover letters, we're buying manuscripts. We're interested in knowing your credits, especially if you're a brand new writer. Personal data, "I am a zeppelin pilot and professional mime, often simultaneously" for example, are not relevant until after we buy the story.

8) To learn more about our submissions and editorial process, feel free to browse current and past posts at sff.publishing.polyphony on the SFF.Net newsgroups. There have been extensive discussions of our reading preferences, prior experiences and personal opinions there.

It is our intention to respond to all submissions by December 15th. We pay $0.06 per word for First Print and Electronic World Anthology Rights, to a maximum of $600.00, on acceptance, along with two author's copies on publication. These guidelines may be redistributed freely in their entirety.

We look forward to seeing your best work.

Deborah Layne, Publisher and Fiction Editor
Jay Lake, Fiction Co-Editor

Gromak
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 10:27 pm:   

Do you accept manuscripts written in Vulcan?

Jay Lake
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 07:11 am:   

Sure, as long as they have a SASE for the IMMEDIATE AND TOTAL rejection.

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 11:26 am:   

Jay -- I thought we decided no Klingon, but we'd look at Romulun Alt. History/Horrorific Metafiction. Am I misremembering?

Gromak
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 12:56 pm:   

Ah, yes! I have translated my works into Romulan. I will send you my trilogy and you will excerpt it in your little human magazine...

Lucius
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 08:42 am:   

Geborah--I'm having trouble with your email. Messages keep bouncing back. Can you call so we can discuss the story...?

Mahesh
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:01 am:   

This may be a dumb question, but would a quote from a movie fall under the "do not use copyrighted material" guideline?

Thanks in advance.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 07:32 am:   

Yes, it probably does.

Mahesh
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   

Okay, good to know. Thank you.

Mark Shiney
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:54 pm:   

So, have you read my story "The Patient" yet...?

Deborah
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:43 pm:   

Not yet. But when we have, you'll be the first to know.

Mark Shiney
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:19 am:   

<g>

Mark Shiney
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 10:37 am:   

:-(

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:41 pm:   

So Deborah, any news yet on what might be in P4. Just saw a note from Tim Pratt that he'd sold you a story, which is way cool.

Jonathan

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 06:14 am:   

Soon, very soon, Jonathan. I will probably post the complete table of contents here in a week or so. A few letters and emails (both acceptances and rejections) are still winging their way toward authors.

Watch this spot!

:-)

Deborah

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:03 pm:   

Hi Deborah - I really liked P3, so I'm eagerly looking forward to P4. If it's anywhere near as good, it'll be one of the anthologies of the year.

J

Mark Shiney
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:37 pm:   

8-)

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:19 pm:   

Thanks, Jonathan. Glad you enjoyed P3. I'm real happy with what we got. There will be more _weird_ stuff this time around, too.

Deborah

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:20 pm:   

Mark, you show nice emoticon range there. Thanks!

Mark Shiney
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 01:10 am:   

8-D

Alex
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 12:14 pm:   

Deb--when is P4 due to appear?

Deborah
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 04:02 pm:   

Some time in the summer, probably August. I hope to send out review copies before then, maybe June.

With the usual disclaimers about the creek rising.

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 04:30 pm:   

We're hoping for that crick to rise, though...

;)

Bruce
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:46 am:   

Hello Deborah,

Any chance we'll see Lucius Shepard's 'The Sentence' in Polyphony 4?

Thanks, Bruce

Deborah
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:21 am:   

No, alas. Lucius pulled that story from Polyphony 3 because he didn't think he was finished with it and he's done something else for Polyphony 4. Maybe if we all flick our Bics and chant we can get him to do it as an encore some time.

Lucius? You got anything to add here?

Lucius
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:27 am:   

Nope. That said it all. I haven't been able to get the damn thing right. Maybe someday.

Bruce Chrumka
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 05:16 pm:   

Hi Deborah, Lucius,

Thanks for your comments. Could you share with us the title for Lucius's story in Polyphony 4 and a provisional publication date for 'Weapons of Mass Seduction'?

Cheers, Bruce

Deborah
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 10:19 am:   

Hi, Bruce,

I'll be posting the entire table of contents for Polyphony 4 right here real soon, but Lucius' story is titled "Blackpool Ascensions."

I would imagine that the pub date for "Weapons of Mass Seduction" is somewhere around August 21, give or take a week or two.

Deborah

Bruce
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 10:58 am:   

Thanks Deborah! Looks like August will be a good month for Lucius. I'll certainly be signing up.

Cheers, Bruce

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register